James Madison University

Updated Jul 2, 2014
Updated Jul 2, 2014

2.8

Assignments Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at James Madison University.

Arrive 30 minutes early to afford time to find parking, have a positive attitude and exert as much energy as you can muster. Diversity is a very big part of the education system there, so learn what it is, and make it a large reason for your employment search there. If you are not supportive of LGBT rights, this is not the place for you!

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at James Madison University.

Interviewed with a hiring committee of 4 people, who were all very knowledgeable about their department. Two were extremely nice and social. The interview process was an initial phone interview and a secondary follow-up interview "in person" that was an all-day interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked the favorite thing I had ever written, which surprised me, since I had turned in three writing samples of my favorites, and had said on my resume I had 11 years of professional writing experience.   View Answer
    I was young and naive, (only my second professional job) and I didn't negotiate the salary. It was a huge raise from my current job, so I accpeted

Resident Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at James Madison University.

There were two interviews - one with an office staff member, and one with a hall director. I really enjoyed both interviews. They were more of a conversation than an interview. They asked questions about handing conflict, diversity issues, working with groups, time management, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Specific questions about diversity - like how we would address issues facing a resident from another country   Answer Question

Chemistry Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

in need of an instructor immediately.

Interview Questions
    it was a par time position hourly salary

Centennial Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I applied online – interviewed at James Madison University.

To be interviewed, you must write a simple one page essay on the following three questions: 1. What academic, social, and emotional challenges do you anticipate as a JMU student?
    2. What do you expect to gain from the Centennial Scholars Program? What do you expect to contribute? And, how do you think it will support your educational goals and plans?
    3. Please explain your perceived academic strengths and weaknesses.

The interview portion is much more difficult however, it is always a board room full of graduate students as well as the director of the program (usually totals about 10 or more people) and the questions are ones that you may not initially anticipate. Make sure that you know information about the program besides the scholarship money that you will receive.

Interview Questions
    • Know about obstacles you have overcome and have several weaknesses prepared and how you dealt with them in a positive way   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at James Madison University.

Submit materials, phone interview, on-campus interview with lots and lots of interview sessions.

Intramural Site Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at James Madison University in March 2011.

Interviewed by the professional staff and some of the other site managers which can be intimidating. Just be yourself and do your homework, there are some situation questions Ask some of the site managers about the interview process and what they are looking for, the site managers will be happy to provide info.

Advertising Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at James Madison University in February 2011.

Behavioral- Describe a challenging experience, 3 words friends/boss use to describe you, last time you sold something, dealing with conflict, etc.

Discuss outgoing, team-orientated personality. Multi-panel interview will last nearly an hour if done right. Good Luck

Technical Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at James Madison University in July 2010.

Multiple phone interviews. Provided airfare to and accomodations in Chicago. Interviewed there with several different "panels". Was told that I would hear from them on their decision either way. . . never heard another word from them. Impression: unprofessional; probably not a good place to work. Also, salary discussed was very low.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us - how you would convince "XYZ" company to begin using our products? (the position applied for - and interviewing for, was not in sales)   Answer Question

Communications Interview

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at James Madison University in February 2010.

There were a lot of people at the interview waiting. Went quickly and seemed to be formatted. Never got an offer back from them either and thought interview went well.