Jane Street

Updated Jan 21, 2015

3.6

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

First few rounds are entirely mental math skills based (no writing notes)
Scheduled by HR person but interviews are by traders. Those traders might call a half hour to an hour later than the scheduled time.
The first round is 3 math questions followed by guessing on how correct the previous answers were.

Interview Questions
  • Which question do you most thing you were wrong about and how wrong were you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Applied online through website. Got an email asking for a time to have a phone interview. Phone interview was pretty intense - interviewer was in a hurry and did not seem to be patient.

Interview Questions
    • How many times does the digit 1 appear in all numbers from 1-1000000 inclusive   View Answers (5)

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

I applied through their website and heard back after about a week about the first phone interview. This interview consisted mainly of probability questions about dice and coins. After about another week, I had the second phone interview, which consisted of harder questions involving uncertainty.

Interview Questions
    • There was a Fermi problem that I found quite challenging.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through the website for a wintership. The whole process took about a month. There were 2 phone interviews. The phone interviews consisted of arithmetic questions and probability questions.

Intern Interview

Difficult, a lot of brain teasers. There are a lot of quantitative and probability math problems that I would have expected in an AMC test than a trading interview. You definitely have a good advantage if you've done competitive math before, as though the math problems are difficult, they are near trivial for people who've done those kinds of problems before.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

On-campus presentation, online application. Found out through email to sign up for on-campus first round interview. I did not progress past this stage, though I have heard that if the first round goes well, you proceed to at least two more rounds. Questions were all mental math and probability and became harder with each subsequent question.

Interview Questions
    • Play a game where you roll a die: what's the expected value? What if you can roll twice and either keep first roll or have to keep second roll? What about three rolls or infinite rolls?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

I started with an on campus interview, the question asked was fairly standard, involved trees and their space and time complexity. Then proceeded to two rounds of phone interviews, both had technical questions that were not that difficult to implement but required some deeper thinking to implement well. Overall the experience was fine, though the process is very difficult as they are very selective with who they hire.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were too difficult, just attention to detail is important   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Applied online and heard back within about a week. Good communication; had to demonstrate excellent knowledge of excel and mathematical skills. I did not receive an offer in the end but would be happy to apply again. Have heard great things.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

I applied online and received an email the next day about setting up a phone interview. The first one was mostly mental math and was average. They contacted me after about a week to set up a second interview, which had more probability and expected value questions that required more thought. After about a week or so, they contacted me again for a third interview, which lasted about an hour and was a really interesting question that was more related to their work. The interviewers were all really nice.

Interview Questions
    • The questions all tested your critical thinking abilities, and the most difficult one was probably the 3rd interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Applied online and received a response very quickly to set up an interview. The interview was a 30 minute phone interview and was all quantitative. A bunch of mental math questions. 1 million minus 111, 4 percent of 97, 42 squared. Then I was asked how confident I was asked getting all 3 right, 2 out of 3 right, and 1 out of 3 right (giving percentages). Then I was asked which question do I think I most likely got wrong and how confident I was that I got that one right. This answer was supposed to agree with the 1st 3 percentages I had stated.
    Afterwards got a cube dipped in paint question. and a flip a coin 4 times and get a dollar for each heads. What is the expected value of the game if I am allowed infinite tries.

Interview Questions
    • The confidence question. I didn't know how to agree my confidence percentages.   Answer Question