Jane Street

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – Applied online and heard back within about a week. Good communication; had to demonstrate excellent knowledge of excel and mathematical skills. I did not receive an offer in the end but would be happy to apply again. Have heard great things.

Interview Question – Had to do complex coding on excel   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email the next day about setting up a phone interview. The first one was mostly mental math and was average. They contacted me after about a week to set up a second interview, which had more probability and expected value questions that required more thought. After about a week or so, they contacted me again for a third interview, which lasted about an hour and was a really interesting question that was more related to their work. The interviewers were all really nice.

Interview Question – The questions all tested your critical thinking abilities, and the most difficult one was probably the 3rd interview.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received phone interview within 2 weeks. First round was mental math (37 squared, 4% of 97, etc) as well as some probability/expected value problems. They also ask you how confident you are about answering 4/4 questions right, 3/4 questions right, 2/4 questions right, etc. Received a second round with even more probability, but much harder.

Interview Question – A dice game problem, don't remember the details.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a response very quickly to set up an interview. The interview was a 30 minute phone interview and was all quantitative. A bunch of mental math questions. 1 million minus 111, 4 percent of 97, 42 squared. Then I was asked how confident I was asked getting all 3 right, 2 out of 3 right, and 1 out of 3 right (giving percentages). Then I was asked which question do I think I most likely got wrong and how confident I was that I got that one right. This answer was supposed to agree with the 1st 3 percentages I had stated.
Afterwards got a cube dipped in paint question. and a flip a coin 4 times and get a dollar for each heads. What is the expected value of the game if I am allowed infinite tries.

Interview Question – The confidence question. I didn't know how to agree my confidence percentages.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – I had an on campus interview where they asked fairly basic questions on math and probability. One summation question, one question where they asked me to subtract numbers, one on a dice, one on a 8-sided dice, and other question using cards.

Interview Question – Subtract 12 from 1 million   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in February 2011.

Interview Details – The people seemed fun. There were a few guys who were a little awkward. But it was Jane Street. Also a problem was that their HR department was incredibly slow. It took them weeks to schedule the next round interview. And then they would forget to call. It was very unprofessional.

They seemed to only concentrate on Probability questions. A lot of expected value questions.

Interview Question – If you had only 5 and 11 cent stamps. Whats the smallest number that would be impossible to make with those stamps.   View Answers (12)

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Jane Street in February 2011.

Interview Details – The guy asked a lot of mental math and brainteasers. For the mental math, he had me answer as fast as possible, and afterwards they ask you to bet on your answers. Brainteasers weren't too difficult, just make sure you think out loud. This one was first round on campus, and there will be more phone interviews and an on-site interview.

Interview Question – How much would you bet for your answers to be correct.   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Jane Street in May 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online through their website. I go to a top 10 school (which was previously not a target school for Jane Street) so I'm not sure how much of a factor this was in their decision to interview me. Within 1 week of submitting my resume, they asked me if I wanted to do a phone interview. They asked me 0 fit questions and a bunch of technical questions, mostly probability (and a couple of random mental math questions). All questions are expected to be done without the use of a pencil, paper, or calculator. I'd like to comment on company culture but I bombed this interview pretty badly and didn't get the 2nd round.

Interview Question – a) expected value of a die
b) suppose you play a game where you get a dollar amount equivalent to the number of dots that show up on the die. you roll it once. if you don't like it, you get to roll it again, but you have to keep the 2nd roll. what's the fair value of this game?
c) same as b), except now you get to reroll twice.
  View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – Phone call. Asked me to do quick calculation without using pen and paper and other 2 brain teaser.

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – You could apply through the internet anytime for all the positions shown in their homepage.
For trader or quantitative research intern positions, there should be about six rounds of interviews which would probably focus on technical questions.

Interview Question – Questions on conditional expectation   Answer Question

Worked for Jane Street? Contribute to the Community!