Jane Street

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

3.8

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

On-campus presentation, online application. Found out through email to sign up for on-campus first round interview. I did not progress past this stage, though I have heard that if the first round goes well, you proceed to at least two more rounds. Questions were all mental math and probability and became harder with each subsequent question.

Interview Questions
    • Play a game where you roll a die: what's the expected value? What if you can roll twice and either keep first roll or have to keep second roll? What about three rolls or infinite rolls?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Difficult, a lot of brain teasers. There are a lot of quantitative and probability math problems that I would have expected in an AMC test than a trading interview. You definitely have a good advantage if you've done competitive math before, as though the math problems are difficult, they are near trivial for people who've done those kinds of problems before.

Trading Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

3 rounds of phone interviews, 1 on-site superday. Technical questions, including mental math. Everyone was nice enough and patient when I messed up. It was definitely all about getting the technical questions, not HR/fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a Fermi question, like how many commercial planes does the U.S. purchase each year.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Applied online.The process took less than a week.the first round is a technical phone interview. A lot Mental math and probability questions.Not hard but they expect you to explain explicitly.

Assistant Trader Interview

Got an on campus interview. Lots of probability questions, and mental math. Typical thing that you would expect for a trader. The dressing code is super casual as the culture of the company suggests. I would recommend you to be prepared for lot's of mental math and brain teasers before you go to an interview for Jane Street

Interview Questions
    • If you would ask all Americans a yes or no question, what would you ask to get the most of them wrong   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Applied through the company website. The interviewer was very courteous. First round consists of general probability, mental math problems. No idea what the second interview will be about. I did get a second interview offer. more to follow.

Interview Questions
    • A bus lets off a quarter of its passengers and take up 7 more passengers for every stop. If the bus went through 3 stops, what is the smallest possible number of initial passengers?   View Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street.

Applied online. Quick response time. Set up a phone interview with a researcher before HR briefing (a pleasant surprise). I was shocked at the nature (basic nature that is, is this the flavor of problems they tackle at Jane street????) of questions I was being tested on (not that I got them right....) They want you to assess how well you can quantify your confidence in the answer you give them.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting question:
      From a deck of 52 cards pick 26 at random. From this set of 26 you pick two cards. You win if the both of these cards are of the same color. Is this a game you would prefer over one in which you win by picking two (first two picks) of the same color at random from a deck of 26 with equal number of black and red cards
        View Answers (4)

Assistant Trader Interview

This was for second round (phone interview), after a first round with a recruiter on campus. They emailed me 20-30 minutes after my scheduled interview time to say they were unavailable. Arranged to have interview later that day. Lots of probability questions (in both rounds).

Interview Questions
    • How many commercial airplanes are bought in the U.S. every year? Give 90% confidence.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

I applied for a trader position off my college’s career site. They were prompt in replying. I received two phone interviews. The first was easy probability questions, but the second had more difficult questions. I did not get a final round interview. The younger guy I interviewed with was friendly but the older guy was really harsh/dismissive when I got something wrong.

Trader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

Submitted resume through school recruiting website, learned that it had been accepted for an interview a few days later. Came in for a 30-minute one-on-one interview. First couple questions were mental arithmetic, and then there were two/three probability questions. Essentially you only get to the next round if you successfully solve all of them.

Interview Questions
    • The classic 5 pirates/100 pieces of gold game theory question. Did not expect it.   Answer Question