Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Started off with some mental math, then went into word and probability problems. Dice, cards, combinatorics, etc.Lots of estimation and "guess the number of hairs on your head" kind of problems. All over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Mental Math: One million minus one hundred eleven.   1 Answer

Trading Desk Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Once the company expressed interest, the first task was to complete an assignment for them before conducting an interview. The assignment involved some simple excel commands and simple mathematics, but also very technical in the things you have to read and learn to know what to do, the problems weren't tricky or difficult, just very tedious.

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Simple mental math no pens no papers no calculator first background check and then four mental math and probability questions
    The interviewer gives plenty of time to think but in suppose the speed is all of their consideration

Interview Questions

• Find the probability that you pick the first two top cards are two tens from a deck of cards   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied to the Systems/Automation position they had open. The phone interview was a simple coding problem, while the in-person ones were more in depth and went into systems design. I thought I had done well but got rejected at the final stage. The whole process was very quick and fun even though I didn't get an offer.

Trading Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and a recruiter got back to me with an interview offer. They were very prompt in replying and setting up the interview. Interview itself was a 30 minute call. Interviewer was friendly. But did not attempt to help at all when i got stuck. Replied back with the decision within 3 days. Overall experience was positive

Interview Questions

• Phone interview. All questions were mental math. You are not allowed to use pen/paper, calculator or computer. Asked me to find the angle between the hour and minute hand if the time is 9:30. Also, what is the probability that the world series goes till the 7th game.   1 Answer

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied through website -- first two interviews so far were phone interviews. Asked several probability questions and expected value and dice questions, both around 40 minutes. Second round much more complicated than the first round. More mental math in the first round, like 68% of 110. Interviewer was nice, give me helpful hints in the form of questions to help me figure out if I went wrong.

Interview Questions

• 1. Digits in 99^20
      2. Expected value of dice rolls (20 x 3 vs. 30 x 2). If you were playing a game which one would you pick, or does it not matter? What's the probability that you're going to win?

2 Answers

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied for interview through college career site, was a half hour interview. There was a bit of talking about yourself in the beginning, but most of it was problem solving. Jane Street is definitely looking for the smartest people and they're willing to interview everyone for it. That being said, I think actually getting an offer is extremely difficult. However, practice problems and answers are everywhere on the internet (due the the sheer number of interviews) so it's definitely possible to be adequately prepared for it.

Interview Questions

• You have 50 black balls and 50 white balls and two buckets. How would you distribute the balls so that when a bucket is randomly chosen and a random ball is drawn out of that bucket, the probability of getting a black ball is at its highest?   1 Answer

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

Interview

Very quantitative and they will easily challenge your train of thought in order to see if you can react quickly to support or adjust your answer. Virtually every question they ask has a purpose to it, for example, how confident you are of your answer(s). Interviewer was very helpful, they understand if you may not see the purpose behind a question, but they do expect you to very quickly adapt if they start giving you hints.

Interview Questions

• Probability: Dice, Shooting Darts, Expected Values, Conditional Probability   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

Interview

The first step in the process was an excel exercise. You have to use VBA and other excel functions to try to solve a problem. I did not advance past this, so I cannot give any more insight on the rest of the process. They are very fast with moving forward in the process.

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Saw information on school internal career link. Submitted thru website. got email on week later. passed excel exercise using vba. applied for multiple positions and locations. end up bd in ny

Interview Questions

• what is the angle between two hands at 9:30   1 Answer
    • what day is it ten years from now?   1 Answer
    • what is the smallesr interger that makes 3/4(3/4(3/4x+7)+7)+7 an interger   1 Answer