Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.8

Internship Interview

I got a nice interviewer who was very polite and patient. Sometimes I could not hear very well as he seemed to be on some busy trading floor. Got asked a lot of mental math questions which I found quite hard, e.g. 3 digit numbers to be multiplied. I then got asked what I thought was the probability that I had all my answers right. Then they asked some probability brainteaser questions.

Interview Questions
    • 253*387 with no pen or paper or calculator   View Answer

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Jane Street in February 2014.

Rejected from software engineering internship, received interview notice for trader position a week after rejection; The interview itself happened through my college's career services. The interview (just first round) was entirely technical, starting from simple 3 digit by 2 digit multiplication, going all the way to tough probability questions

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Jane Street in June 2014.

Applied online. Got contacted after two days and scheduled an phone interview. Lasted one hour. Asked quickly about my research and programming background. Then shifted to three mathematical problems.
    The last two questions seemed designed not to have a simple analytic answer and the interviewer asked to approach one of the problems intuitively and how confident I was about my answers. The interview ended with a few questions I asked about this position at Jane Street.

Interview Questions
    • The last two questions revolved around the following game consisting of drawing two cards from a randomly shuffled deck and repeating the procedure until 2N cards have been drawn. You lose or win one dollar depending on various conditions. Given those conditions, which N gives the highest probability of winning at each step? What if the deck is built by drawing cards from another deck? How much should you get charged if this game is fair?   Answer Question

Assistant Trader Interview

It was a similar process to what others have already described. You have to be ready for the types of questions they will be asking, otherwise you should probably wait on that interview. It's not very hard to get the initial interview, but keep in mind that you'll go through progressively harder interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Similar to what others have stated, make sure you know basic probability, combinatorics, and can do these in your head.   Answer Question

Trading Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Jane Street in November 2013.

Submitted application for a winter internship through the company site, HR emailed to setup a phone interview a little less than a week later. Interview was purely quantitative, started off relatively easy (mental math, basic probability that you have to answer in 30 or so seconds) and eventually interviewer moved on to more difficult probability questions. You'll be asked to not use your computer/a calculator at all, but the interviewer will walk you through the more difficult problems if you get stuck. Nothing technical/finance related.

Interview Questions
    • Sum the even numbers in the range 1-100.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Basically, they want to know how much math you're able to do, quickly and efficiently. Knowledge of expected value is a must, as is basic computational skills. You don't necessarily need to be able to think outside of the box, but they're going to want to see exceptional problem solving ability.

Interview Questions
    • You are given a die with 100 sides. One side has 1 dot, one has 2 dots and so on up until 100. You are given a chance to roll the die and, however many dots come up, you can choose to (a): take that many dollars, or (b): pay $1 and roll again. You can continue to reroll as many times as you see fit, but you only keep the money of the one roll that you choose to end with. What is the optimal strategy and expected value?   View Answers (3)

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street.

Made to the second round (45 min phone interview), the first round is doing probability relate questions online. The second round is also problem solving, but is much harder.

Interview Questions
    • On a multiple-choice exam with three possible answers for each of the five questions, what is the probability that a student would get four or more correct answer just by guessing?   View Answer

Junior Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in January 2014.

Contact was made by e-mail to setup a phone interview. Interview was extremely quantitative, but relatively obscure. Main question was about a complex probability game that the interviewer expected you to calculate mentally. A few more obscure technical questions (as a person coming from a math background) and the interview was over. Process seemed self-defeating as a very small number of people would have the intuition to quickly do a problem like that in their head, but that says little about skill.

Interview Questions
    • As mentioned above, a probability game between two players was given and it involved a complex card game requiring combinatorics.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Jane Street in February 2013.

4 phone interviews plus 1 on-site final round. I was not impressed with hr as a couple of times they told me I passed the phone interview, that they would schedule the next interview within a week, and then they did not. I had to call them to schedule. Also, they did not call me once for a scheduled interview and had to reschedule.

Phone interviews are mostly math problems / brain teasers. No fit questions whatsoever.

For the final round, they give you a study sheet, and expect you to memorize the jargon inside out. You should be very fluent in their language (of trading). It is pretty difficult, so don't put it off till the last day, and practice. They give you a 100 poker chips and expect you to 'make a market on' various things, such as, sum of the face values of the next four cards flipped, sum of squares of the next two dice rolls, etc. You have limited time, so they expect you to think and ACT fast.

I ended up with ~140 chips at the end. I did not get an offer. I don't think the number of chips matter. I think they evaluate your personality more than anything else. I was not a good fit (I now think I was very risk averse, I only bet when I was very likely to win. That's why I ended up with 140 chips. It's no good though.), so I didn't get the offer. Overall good experience though.

Interview Questions
    • Make a market on the number of numbers in your resume. I sold for 100. There was ~190.   View Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in April 2014.

Contacted by recruiter, was sent a series of excel tests. Phone screening, followed by face to face. Face to face involved tests and multiple interviews with personnel. Plan on being there all day if you do well on the tests.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time when someone you worked with betrayed your trust"   Answer Question

Worked for Jane Street? Contribute to the Community!