Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2015
Updated Mar 30, 2015

3.8

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Simple mental math no pens no papers no calculator first background check and then four mental math and probability questions
    The interviewer gives plenty of time to think but in suppose the speed is all of their consideration

Interview Questions
    • Find the probability that you pick the first two top cards are two tens from a deck of cards   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

I applied to the Systems/Automation position they had open. The phone interview was a simple coding problem, while the in-person ones were more in depth and went into systems design. I thought I had done well but got rejected at the final stage. The whole process was very quick and fun even though I didn't get an offer.

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Applied through website -- first two interviews so far were phone interviews. Asked several probability questions and expected value and dice questions, both around 40 minutes. Second round much more complicated than the first round. More mental math in the first round, like 68% of 110. Interviewer was nice, give me helpful hints in the form of questions to help me figure out if I went wrong.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Digits in 99^20
      2. Expected value of dice rolls (20 x 3 vs. 30 x 2). If you were playing a game which one would you pick, or does it not matter? What's the probability that you're going to win?

View Answers (2)

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

Applied for interview through college career site, was a half hour interview. There was a bit of talking about yourself in the beginning, but most of it was problem solving. Jane Street is definitely looking for the smartest people and they're willing to interview everyone for it. That being said, I think actually getting an offer is extremely difficult. However, practice problems and answers are everywhere on the internet (due the the sheer number of interviews) so it's definitely possible to be adequately prepared for it.

Interview Questions
    • You have 50 black balls and 50 white balls and two buckets. How would you distribute the balls so that when a bucket is randomly chosen and a random ball is drawn out of that bucket, the probability of getting a black ball is at its highest?   View Answer

Trading Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

I submitted my resume online and a recruiter got back to me with an interview offer. They were very prompt in replying and setting up the interview. Interview itself was a 30 minute call. Interviewer was friendly. But did not attempt to help at all when i got stuck. Replied back with the decision within 3 days. Overall experience was positive

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview. All questions were mental math. You are not allowed to use pen/paper, calculator or computer. Asked me to find the angle between the hour and minute hand if the time is 9:30. Also, what is the probability that the world series goes till the 7th game.   View Answer

Trading Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in March 2015.

Very quantitative and they will easily challenge your train of thought in order to see if you can react quickly to support or adjust your answer. Virtually every question they ask has a purpose to it, for example, how confident you are of your answer(s). Interviewer was very helpful, they understand if you may not see the purpose behind a question, but they do expect you to very quickly adapt if they start giving you hints.

Interview Questions
    • Probability: Dice, Shooting Darts, Expected Values, Conditional Probability   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Saw information on school internal career link. Submitted thru website. got email on week later. passed excel exercise using vba. applied for multiple positions and locations. end up bd in ny

Interview Questions
    • what is the angle between two hands at 9:30   View Answer
    • what day is it ten years from now?   View Answer
    • what is the smallesr interger that makes 3/4(3/4(3/4x+7)+7)+7 an interger   View Answer

Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Submitted application online through their website, was contacted by a recruiter. You will not be asked any behavioral questions at all - all questions will be mental math. You're supposed to not use a calculator or pen and pencil, and walk the interviewer through your thought process. Sounds like a cool place to work in - more techy than a Wall Street firm - but wasn't the right place for me.

Interview Questions
    • The degree between the minute-hand and hour-hand when it's 9.45.   View Answer
    • What day of the week will it be 10 years from today   Answer Question

Assistant Trader Interview

Process was very quick and professional. I submitted my resume on their website and was contacted the next day asking for times to schedule an interview. Interviews are purely problem solving, obviously, but you can still show your flair in the ways you do the problems. Sometimes they take a few days to contact you about the next round.

Interview Questions
    • You have a 3x3x3 cube painted yellow on the outside. The cube is then split up into 1x1x1 cubes. You pick one of these cubes at random and notice that the side you are looking at is painted. Without knowing if any of the other sides are painted, what is the probability that this was a corner cube?   View Answers (3)

Assistant Trader Interview

Mental math, basic combinatorics and probability questions. Completely technical interview. Interviewer was very casual, preferred not to give hints, as to see how candidate thinks. Did point out mistakes/errors when they were made. First round was not too difficult. Speed with which one solves problems seems to be important.

Interview Questions
    • If two die are rolled, what is the probability that the sum is greater than 7?   View Answers (3)