Jane Street

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.8

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

I applied through their website and heard back after about a week about the first phone interview. This interview consisted mainly of probability questions about dice and coins. After about another week, I had the second phone interview, which consisted of harder questions involving uncertainty.

Interview Questions
    • There was a Fermi problem that I found quite challenging.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in December 2014.

I went to a recruitment event at my school and then applied online. I was contacted in about a week for a phone interview. The phone interview involved coding on an online platform. Then, I was contacted a few days later to arrange an in-person interview. They paid for me to visit their New York office for the interviews. The HR person was very helpful and well-organized.

I had four in-person interviews, all on the same day, all with two interviewers. Each interview asked one programming problem, which I solved on the whiteboard. There was also the option to solve them on a computer. The interviewers tended to observe quietly, and didn't give many hints, preferring for me to work through it when I got stuck. They were all very intelligent. I actually found it pretty fun, since the questions were interesting.

They made me an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • They asked that I not share the specifics of the questions. Expect one or two to focus on functional programming.   Answer Question
    The offer was very generous for an intern position. There was no negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied through the website for a wintership. The whole process took about a month. There were 2 phone interviews. The phone interviews consisted of arithmetic questions and probability questions.

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Contacted about the assistant trader position, and set up a phone call. A couple math and probability questions, not too difficult now that I think about it, but definitely hard to do on the spot. Did not move on to the next step in the interview process. Probably a good idea to brush up on mental math and tricks to simplify problems.

Intern Interview

Difficult, a lot of brain teasers. There are a lot of quantitative and probability math problems that I would have expected in an AMC test than a trading interview. You definitely have a good advantage if you've done competitive math before, as though the math problems are difficult, they are near trivial for people who've done those kinds of problems before.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

On-campus presentation, online application. Found out through email to sign up for on-campus first round interview. I did not progress past this stage, though I have heard that if the first round goes well, you proceed to at least two more rounds. Questions were all mental math and probability and became harder with each subsequent question.

Interview Questions
    • Play a game where you roll a die: what's the expected value? What if you can roll twice and either keep first roll or have to keep second roll? What about three rolls or infinite rolls?   View Answer

Trading Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

3 rounds of phone interviews, 1 on-site superday. Technical questions, including mental math. Everyone was nice enough and patient when I messed up. It was definitely all about getting the technical questions, not HR/fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a Fermi question, like how many commercial planes does the U.S. purchase each year.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Applied online.The process took less than a week.the first round is a technical phone interview. A lot Mental math and probability questions.Not hard but they expect you to explain explicitly.

Assistant Trader Interview

Got an on campus interview. Lots of probability questions, and mental math. Typical thing that you would expect for a trader. The dressing code is super casual as the culture of the company suggests. I would recommend you to be prepared for lot's of mental math and brain teasers before you go to an interview for Jane Street

Interview Questions
    • If you would ask all Americans a yes or no question, what would you ask to get the most of them wrong   View Answer

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in November 2014.

Applied Online. Had 3 phone interviews. The first interview consisted of a bunch of easier questions involving probability/statistics. The second interview had 3 questions and required confidence intervals. The third interview was personal questions and one question on blind bidding for 100 dollars. The personal questions are very important as I didn't mess up any math questions yet I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Give a 90% confidence interval for the weight of Mount Kilimanjaro   Answer Question