Jane Street

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.8

Business Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Applied through the company website. The interviewer was very courteous. First round consists of general probability, mental math problems. No idea what the second interview will be about. I did get a second interview offer. more to follow.

Interview Questions
    • A bus lets off a quarter of its passengers and take up 7 more passengers for every stop. If the bus went through 3 stops, what is the smallest possible number of initial passengers?   View Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street.

Applied online. Quick response time. Set up a phone interview with a researcher before HR briefing (a pleasant surprise). I was shocked at the nature (basic nature that is, is this the flavor of problems they tackle at Jane street????) of questions I was being tested on (not that I got them right....) They want you to assess how well you can quantify your confidence in the answer you give them.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting question:
      From a deck of 52 cards pick 26 at random. From this set of 26 you pick two cards. You win if the both of these cards are of the same color. Is this a game you would prefer over one in which you win by picking two (first two picks) of the same color at random from a deck of 26 with equal number of black and red cards

View Answers (8)

Assistant Trader Interview

This was for second round (phone interview), after a first round with a recruiter on campus. They emailed me 20-30 minutes after my scheduled interview time to say they were unavailable. Arranged to have interview later that day. Lots of probability questions (in both rounds).

Interview Questions
    • How many commercial airplanes are bought in the U.S. every year? Give 90% confidence.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

I applied for a trader position off my college’s career site. They were prompt in replying. I received two phone interviews. The first was easy probability questions, but the second had more difficult questions. I did not get a final round interview. The younger guy I interviewed with was friendly but the older guy was really harsh/dismissive when I got something wrong.

Trader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

Submitted resume through school recruiting website, learned that it had been accepted for an interview a few days later. Came in for a 30-minute one-on-one interview. First couple questions were mental arithmetic, and then there were two/three probability questions. Essentially you only get to the next round if you successfully solve all of them.

Interview Questions
    • The classic 5 pirates/100 pieces of gold game theory question. Did not expect it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

I started with an on campus interview, the question asked was fairly standard, involved trees and their space and time complexity. Then proceeded to two rounds of phone interviews, both had technical questions that were not that difficult to implement but required some deeper thinking to implement well. Overall the experience was fine, though the process is very difficult as they are very selective with who they hire.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were too difficult, just attention to detail is important   Answer Question

Analyst, Trader Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street in October 2014.

I applied online and got the phone interview invitation within a few days. The online application is the simplest I've ever seen. I applied to both London and Hong Kong office and the interview is from London office. A trader interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • The interview is not very hard. But I made mistakes in very basic questions. It starts with calculating the sum of odd numbers within 100.   View Answer

Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in October 2014.

I applied online and was emailed by a recruiter the next day. They asked me to pick a time for the first phone interview (all of which are technical). This interview didn't involve programming, but some questions about UNIX and my personal projects. The interviews moved very quickly, the recruiter was always in contact the next day or so. Both the second and the third interview involved coding on a shared editor. For the second one I had to design an algorithm for a non-surprising string related interview question, which has an obvious solution in O(n^2) time, but requires hashing for O(n). The third one required smart usage of two different data structures for the same data in order to get the benefits of both. After the phone interviews, I was asked for a date to go to their NYC office.

While the phone interview questions had definite answers, two of the problems for the on-site interviews were open ended and seemed to serve the purpose of letting them see you tackle a problem when you don't know where to begin right off the bat. Since I have no prior functional programming experience, I was recommended to study some OCaml before coming over. However, to my (positive) surprise, for the interview that required me to use it, one of the interviewers brought in a cheat-sheet of OCaml basics and went over it. I was then asked to implement a function which was of appropriate difficulty for a beginner. After I had my solution up on the board, the interviewer put up a shorter solution and asked me which one is better and why. They both had the same time complexity, but it turned out that they actually use the solution I came up with, because it does not do any computations after returning from a recursive call, in which case the compiler knows not to allocate additional stack frames.

All of the interviewers were kind and patient, had a sense of humor, and were extremely intelligent (it seemed some of them could've become supervillains but opted for arbitrage). Their office is very nice, reminds me of something a well funded silicon valley company would go for.

Interview Questions
    • I'd rather not spoil the fun for other candidates. Time flies when you're sweating bullets.   Answer Question

Research Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street in October 2014.

contacted by HR after submitted the resume about 1 week.
    Interview for a research intern position in NY.
    1 hr phone interview with a researcher there.
    I was asked 1 probability question and 1 math question.
    Very nice HR and interviewer.
    You need to think if you never encounter such question before.

Interview Questions
    • rolling 2 dices, case 1 you will earn $1 is sum of them are 7; case 2 earn -$1 is sum of then are even; otherwise, roll them again until case 1 or 2 happen. Find the expected gain.   View Answer

Trader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street in October 2014.

3 Phone interviews, and then an on site interview. Pretty much all probability / expected value. Lots of dice games. The on site interview was like 4 1-hour long interviews, where they gave you poker chips and let you trade on different games (aka guess the expected values). Overall it was really fun, and even though I didn't get the offer, I really enjoyed the entire interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Make me a market on the probability that the next card is a face card, given what's already on the table.   Answer Question