Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

3.8

Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Jane Street.

several rounds of half hour telephone interview

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Jane Street in March 2014.

The interview process began with a conversation and resume drop at a career fair, but I was told that applying online would have been the same. A couple weeks later, I received and email asking for availabilities in a two-week window.

The first interview lasted about 1 hour 15 minutes. Interviewer was very friendly, and passionate about his work. It was a phone interview with live coding on code.stypi.com. Questions were straightforward. After a quick intro we went straight into the first question topic, power sets. After question, given an alternate solution involving binary strings. Remaining 30 minutes or so devoted to Q+A. Heard back in 15 minutes (next round)

Second interview was also a little over 1 hour. Most of the time devoted to a single coding question (it was up to me to break it into parts). Key idea was to break an abstract idea into codable elements, show your thinking process, and make a useable interface. Heard back the following week, no offer.

Both interviewers were every friendly and did a good job at maintaining a moderate-to-high level of difficulty (occasionally commenting "are you sure?", "um", or "okay" to hint at whether or not I was going in the right direction). First interview was moderate, second quite difficult. Both questions were interesting and unique as far as I could tell.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to make a power set (as a list of lists) from a set (as a list). Wrote code in ocaml, although I was told that any language would do.   View Answer
    • Given a 0-9 numerical keypad and three chess pieces (pawn, knight, queen), use any language to write a function such that Input(piece, location)->Output(# of possible phone numbers). Code must compile and run.   View Answer

Trader Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in March 2014.

applied online got an interview the next day. passed the first round waiting for the second round. The interviewer is nice. She did not ask a lot about my background. Lots of mental math and probability questions. The questions are not that tough. no pencils and paper for the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Basketball player A and B. Game 1 and 2. In both game, A has a higher shooting average than B. Is it possible that B has a higher overall shooting average. Give an example if possible.   View Answers (5)

Assistant Trader Interview

On campus review

Interview Questions
    • If you could ask one true or false question to all Americans and wanted to minimize the number of people who got it right, what would you ask?   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street.

I applied online and heard back from them within a week. The first phone interview was relatively smooth and was focused on basic functional stuff. They were very interested in my ability to analyze the time and space complexity of recursive functions in an immutable environment. Also, very interested in optimizations.

For the second interview they expected me to know some OCaml but it was much the same as the first. The last interview was an array question and not functional at all.

Each interview was about a week apart. Overall, everyone I spoke to was pretty nice. Obviously some were more helpful than others. In the very least, the interviews were great experience, and I learned a bunch of interesting stuff while preparing for them.

Interview Questions
    • Right a method that takes an int and an array and rotates the array right n times. Give an answer with constant space and linear time.   View Answer
    • Given a list of Strings, return all groups of acronyms.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Jane Street.

I had one phone interview

Interview Questions
    • I flip 4 coins and give you a dollar for each head. I also give you the opportunity to flip one tail after I have flipped all four coins. What is the expected value of this game?   View Answers (6)

Trader Interview

Applied through campus, asked some mental math questions and a couple probability questions

Assistant Trader - Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Jane Street.

Applied through Career Fair. Offered phone interview shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • The interview started and I was told to not use and pencil or paper. They asked me some squaring questions and some subtraction with large numbers. I was also asked how much I would pay to play a game where I get heads if I win a dollar, and how much I would be willing to pay if I was able to re-flip up to two more times.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Jane Street.

I applied online and received an email the next day about setting up a phone interview. The first one was mostly mental math and was average. They contacted me after about a week to set up a second interview, which had more probability and expected value questions that required more thought. After about a week or so, they contacted me again for a third interview, which lasted about an hour and was a really interesting question that was more related to their work. The interviewers were all really nice.

Interview Questions
    • The questions all tested your critical thinking abilities, and the most difficult one was probably the 3rd interview.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Jane Street.

The process had many rounds. I was able to make through the first but not the second.

Interview Questions
    • Some estimation problem on different ways to dissect a 5*7 paper into rectangles of integer lengths.   Answer Question