Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

3.7

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, and had interview on campus. Told me how the interview was going to work: technical questions, no behavioral questions. Very casual; wore khakis and a flannel. After a couple of probability questions, he let me go and told me I would get an email about the second round of interviews

Interview Questions

• Expected value of various binomial distributions, game theory   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Two interviews, got rejected after the second round. In the second round, they asked me two question and I was able to answer them but I needed help from the interviewer. I also could have been quicker. I was a little rusty. Ah well, hopefully I'll get it next time.

Interview Questions

• What is the probability that if you role two dice, the sum is greater than 7?   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

A sad experience. I was offered an interview but got rejected before I had a chance to speak to anyone. Let me preface this by saying this was due to an error on my part.

Because the job spec was so general, I wanted to make sure my skillset was understood by their hiring manager. So I responded to the invite with a clarification of what skills were in my domain and what skills weren't.

In describing my coding style, I typically say that "I tend to find elegant solutions to complex problems", or "I strive towards minimal code that delivers maximum results". There's never been an issue with this.

However, in my letter to Jane Street, my wording was admittedly off. In trying to communicate the same notion, I wrote "I like problem solving, usually with minimal code if possible". Suffice to say their recruiting specialist took this in a negative light. Her response as follows:

"If you're not interested in doing a lot of work with code this probably isn't going to be a good match for you. It seems it's best we don't proceed with an interview at this time."

I followed up with a polite letter attempting to repair the miscommunication, but it fell on deaf ears. Live and learn.

Junior Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

First round phone interview, technical questions, about six of them. They followed up within a week with second round phone interview. Wasn't feeling too well for second round, still technical questions. Answered correctly but likely too slow. No feedback received.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street (Cambridge, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Didn't ask any behavioral question, basically just started asking quantitative questions. Paper wasn't allowed. it was pretty weird at first and when I was confused, I stared at the wall and he kept on asking me to speak out my thinking process. It was only 4 questions, which weren't that bad once I calmed down and thought about them.

Interview Questions

• probability of getting even number of heads when flipping 39 coins   3 Answers

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through my college career center and heard back from Jane Street in about a week when they released interview slots for all applicants on campus. The interviewer was very friendly and guided me through questions when I needed direction. The interview started with a couple of fit questions and dived right into the probability questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the probability of getting the same number on the spin of a roulette wheel, when a fair dice is thrown, and when one card if picked from a deck of cards?   4 Answers
    • I have one fair coin and one biased two headed coin, and I put both in my pocket. I randomly choose one coin and flip it. It shows heads. What is the probability that the coin has Tails on the other side?   3 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Two phone interviews, probability questions, pretty tricky. Interviewers were both very nice/humble, gave helpful hints along the way. One guy gave some advice: computational speed will only take you so far and won't impress Jane Street in the long run. Better to take longer and get the questions right than try to speed through the calculations and mess up.

Interview Questions

• You roll a die and get the amount you roll in cash. How much should you pay to play this game? What if you don't like your first roll and are allowed to roll exactly once more (but you must take what you get the last time)? What if you can roll up to thrice? Infinitely many times?   1 Answer

Trading Interview

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview after dropping off my resume at a career fair. They are very fast and reasonable, always getting back to me within a day or two. The interviews are, as expected, very quantitative. Questions include probability, mental math, puzzles, expected value, and game theory.

Interview Questions

• Estimation question involving time of day and how many people doing a certain action.   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

The process took 2 or 3 weeks, consisting of a few phone interviews and an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of about 5 rounds, each with 2 interviewers. Questions were difficult.

Interview Questions

• A question that is Jane Street-esque would be the following:
      Suppose there is a game. You flip a coin again and again until you see 2 consecutive heads. What is the expected number of coin flips?

Follow up: What is the expected number of tails?

2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through my university. Interview was pretty easy, mostly technical questions, along with a couple quick questions about my resume. All the technical questions were basic probability and mental math. Haven't heard back from them yet, but I have heard they do up to four interview rounds; I assume the next will be more difficult, as well as have behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• If you have $10 and each mint costs 27 cents, how many mints can you buy?   1 Answer
    • If you have $20 in $1 and $5 denominations, how many bills do you expect to have?   2 Answers