Jane Street

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.8

Trader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

Phone interview. Woman called and asked some basic questions about mental math and some coin flip stuff. They seemed arrogant and as such I did not want to pursue the job.

Interview Questions
    • In world series, what are the odds it goes 7 games if each team equal change of winning.   View Answer

Trading Interview

I submitted my resume online on their website. After talking to them at the career fair, I dropped my resume again and got an email in a few days about scheduling an interview. Interview process was about thirty minutes for the first round. Consisted of simple mental math, combinatorics, and probability. Be wary that this question was for the next following interview I did not pass.

Interview Questions
    • You begin with $100. You flip a fair coin. Heads, you get 1$. Tails, your money gets inversed (i.e. first tails, your money is now 1/100). What is the expected value after 7 flips?

(hint: recursion)

View Answers (7)

Software Developer Interview

Applied online with my resume and cover letter and got an email a few days later. Set up a phone interview, and they had me code on stypi.com. They asked about memoization techniques, as well as cache replacement strategies and time and space complexity of algorithms. They were friendly and allowed time at the end for my questions. The whole interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Implement the least recently used algorithm for replacing the contents of a cache after a cache miss.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Jane Street.

Got asked 4 quantitative questions. They were progressively more difficult. I answered the first 3 correctly, without much time used. The last question, however, I couldn't figure out. The interviewer tried to help me, but between his accent and the noise coming from the background (his side), it wasn't useful. After about 15 minutes, he ended the interview.

Interview Questions
    • (medium difficulty) If you have an asset that goes up or down 20% with probability 1/2, what is the probability that after n days, the asset's price is unchanged?   View Answer

Trading Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jane Street.

I applied via school recruiting system. got an interview notice after a week. was told to dress casually. In the interview, I was asked a lot of technical questions, from simple calculations to probability. The interviewer is definitely very smart. If I could not work out the question, he would lead me through the process.

Interview Questions
    • Probability questions. It's easy to answer wrong without pencil and paper.   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Several phone interviews. In the first one I was asked to describe briefly my research, and then we solve a few brain teasers. In the second one we went straight to brain teasers. Both lasted about an hour.

Trader Interview

I submitted my resume online on the Jane Street website to apply for their internship programs. I received a phone interview from them. The recruiter asked me questions involving mental calculation and basic probability.

Interview Questions
    • Asked questions involving mental calculation and basic probability   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I got a nice interviewer who was very polite and patient. Sometimes I could not hear very well as he seemed to be on some busy trading floor. Got asked a lot of mental math questions which I found quite hard, e.g. 3 digit numbers to be multiplied. I then got asked what I thought was the probability that I had all my answers right. Then they asked some probability brainteaser questions.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in September 2014.

Applied online. Immediately got an email for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of one programming question in OCaml. The interviewer was pretty quiet and didn't say much during the coding part. At the end of the interview, I asked the interviewer questions about the hiring process, internship program, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function in OCaml that when given a list of prices, returns the indices of when it is most optimal to buy and sell the stock.   Answer Question

Assistant Trader Interview

It was a similar process to what others have already described. You have to be ready for the types of questions they will be asking, otherwise you should probably wait on that interview. It's not very hard to get the initial interview, but keep in mind that you'll go through progressively harder interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Similar to what others have stated, make sure you know basic probability, combinatorics, and can do these in your head.   Answer Question