Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.8

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in January 2015.

Applied online, was contacted to take online skills assessment. Pretty difficult -- some conditional probability and brainteaser type questions. I think the best way to get good at these kinds of things is to practice. I'm waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • I randomly pick four numbers from the first fifteen primes. What is the probability that their sum is odd?   View Answers (3)

Trading Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Jane Street in January 2015.

I attended a pre-college visit offered by the company and they maintained communication with all of the students who visited. I replied to one of their emails and they offered me an interview for a trading position. The interview lasted 20 minutes and the interviewer was very nice. All of the questions involved probability questions that were to be computed mentally.

Interview Questions
    • What is the probability that the World Series goes to the 7th game?   Answer Question

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

I submit and resume online and was contacted a few weeks later for an online-test. One day after the online test, I was emailed to schedule a second-round interview.

The phone interview was with a trader who was super nice. He was helping me out when I stuck at solving the problems.

Interview Questions
    • online test - conditional probability.
      phone interview - general probability questions, but more difficult.

Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in December 2014.

Sent an application in through their website. Heard back quickly from a recruiter who told me that I could take an online test and be passed onto the second round automatically. I accepted, was sent an email which linked me to an online testing website. There were 4 questions to answer which I will detail below. I have yet to hear back but I definitely do not expect an offer.

Interview Questions
    • We have two urns. You can't tell them apart from the outside, but one has three $1 chips and seven $10 chips, and the other has eight $1 chips and two $10 chips. You randomly draw a chip from one of the urns and it happens to be a $10 chip. Without replacing this draw, I offer you a chance to draw and keep a chip from either urn. Should you draw from the same urn or the opposite urn, and what is the expected value of the chip you draw? Why?   Answer Question
    • A bag has three coins in it which are visually indistinguishable, but when flipped, one coin has a 60% chance of coming up heads, another has a 40% chance of coming up heads, and the last has a 100% chance of coming up heads. I randomly draw a coin from the bag and flip it, and the result comes up heads. What is the probability that if I re-flip this coin, it will come up heads again? Why?   View Answers (3)
    • You have been chosen to play a game involving a 6-sided die. You get to roll the die once, see the result, and then may choose to either stop or roll again. Your payoff is the sum of your rolls, unless this sum is (strictly) greater than 6, in which case you "bust" and get nothing. What is your strategy for this game? That is, for each possible outcome of the first roll will you choose to stop or to roll again? Why?   Answer Question
    • We randomly select 4 numbers from the set of the first 20 prime numbers, without replacement. What is the probability their sum is odd? Why?   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jane Street in December 2014.

I applied in September and heard back within three hours with them saying they wanted to interview me. I had to wait a few months though, because they wanted to interview full time applicants before interns. So I waited until December for my interview. It was a very informal interview, with relatively easy questions, involving creating my own hash table and dealing with collisions for inserting and searching. I ultimately was not offered a spot however, but the people there were quite professional.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any hard questions. The interview I had was purely technical with relatively simple questions.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I went to a recruitment event at my school and then applied online. I was contacted in about a week for a phone interview. The phone interview involved coding on an online platform. Then, I was contacted a few days later to arrange an in-person interview. They paid for me to visit their New York office for the interviews. The HR person was very helpful and well-organized.

I had four in-person interviews, all on the same day, all with two interviewers. Each interview asked one programming problem, which I solved on the whiteboard. There was also the option to solve them on a computer. The interviewers tended to observe quietly, and didn't give many hints, preferring for me to work through it when I got stuck. They were all very intelligent. I actually found it pretty fun, since the questions were interesting.

They made me an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • They asked that I not share the specifics of the questions. Expect one or two to focus on functional programming.   Answer Question
    The offer was very generous for an intern position. There was no negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

I applied through their website and heard back after about a week about the first phone interview. This interview consisted mainly of probability questions about dice and coins. After about another week, I had the second phone interview, which consisted of harder questions involving uncertainty.

Interview Questions
    • There was a Fermi problem that I found quite challenging.   Answer Question

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Contacted about the assistant trader position, and set up a phone call. A couple math and probability questions, not too difficult now that I think about it, but definitely hard to do on the spot. Did not move on to the next step in the interview process. Probably a good idea to brush up on mental math and tricks to simplify problems.

Intern Interview

I applied through the website for a wintership. The whole process took about a month. There were 2 phone interviews. The phone interviews consisted of arithmetic questions and probability questions.

Intern Interview

Difficult, a lot of brain teasers. There are a lot of quantitative and probability math problems that I would have expected in an AMC test than a trading interview. You definitely have a good advantage if you've done competitive math before, as though the math problems are difficult, they are near trivial for people who've done those kinds of problems before.