Jane Street Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

3.7

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied online after seeing Jane Street at career fair, received email for interview, interviewer who was a programmer called me. Interview took about 45 minutes, consisted of 3 questions about probability and coding

Trader Interview

Interview

Applied online. A phone interview asking mental math like 78 * 0.13% or 43^2, probability questions, and brain-teasers. Problem solving ability like that used in competition mathematics is necessary to do well early on. Focus on those types of questions instead of behavioral ones.

Interview Questions

• Here's an easy one: You are given a six sided die. What is the expected value of the difference
      between the two dice rolls?

4 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

first online test.
    second phone interview.
    the phone interview is a pretty nice girl, she told me she worked there for 1 year and trade equities. During the interview, she is still trading, I felt she is really a smart girl(I love smart girl).

Interview Questions

• there are 3 problems presented during the phone interview. the first two could be found here. I only give 3rd problem:
      I am thinking about two positive integers: a and b. I can tell you a/b is belong to the close interval [0.48, 0.52], then give me all the possible values for b no matter what value a takes.

2 Answers

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied online, contacted via email, first round phone interview, currently still in application process. The interview (first round) was about half an hour, no paper or pen. I responded to the critical thinking questions by talking through my reasoning and explaining my thought process to arrive at my answer. Interviewer was clear and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• If you have one hundred coins, at least one fair and at least one not fair, is the chance that you will get an even number of heads sometimes 1/2, always 1/2, or never 1/2?   2 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I applied through my university. I got a reply scheduling an interview on campus. The interview was 30 minutes of quick mental math and probability questions. The questions were not difficult but you have to be able to answer quickly and walk the interviewer through the problem without hesitation. They did not ask any behavioral questions or anything about my resume.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of a dice if you can reroll up to 3 times and take the highest number.   2 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied online through their website for student recruiting. Heard back within 2 weeks. First round interview mainly computation and probability. Heard back within two days. Fairly difficult but manageable for quant savvy applicants. Interviewer was clear and understanding. Gave hints toward solutions or mistakes when needed.

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's on-campus interview program. I was surprised to find that no fit questions were asked. The interviewer called me and jumped right into asking me math and brain teaser questions. The interviewer seemed frustrated with me if I took too much time to answer. Overall it wasn't a great experience.

Interview Questions

• General probability, a few fermi questions/ mind teasers   Answer Question

Quant Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

apply online, setup an interview a week later fist asked about personal experience then several puzzles. Mostly statistical math brain teasers. The interviewer gave some hint after I made a mistake

Interview Questions

• a/b within 0.48 0.52 a,b are both integers . What could a and b be   1 Answer

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jane Street in January 2015.

Interview

It was a first round phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Then a second round of interviewing. The questions were mainly competition math questions and basic probability. There was nothing too surprising. The questions mainly focused on prime factorization, number theory, base changing, die rolling, coin flipping, expected value, and optimal strategies.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted to take online skills assessment. Pretty difficult -- some conditional probability and brainteaser type questions. I think the best way to get good at these kinds of things is to practice. I'm waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• I randomly pick four numbers from the first fifteen primes. What is the probability that their sum is odd?   3 Answers