Jane Street

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Junior Trader

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contact was made by e-mail to setup a phone interview. Interview was extremely quantitative, but relatively obscure. Main question was about a complex probability game that the interviewer expected you to calculate mentally. A few more obscure technical questions (as a person coming from a math background) and the interview was over. Process seemed self-defeating as a very small number of people would have the intuition to quickly do a problem like that in their head, but that says little about skill.

Interview Question – As mentioned above, a probability game between two players was given and it involved a complex card game requiring combinatorics.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in January 2012.

Interview Details – applied online, the HR contacted me 2 weeks after my application and I got the first interview the week after.
Answer after each interview were given three days after. and scheduled for the week after. The process took 3 weeks for me since I have been rejected after the thirs interview.
The HR told me that in total there are 4 phone interview and one final round in their office of NY.

Interview Questions

• During the third interview : imagine an infinite chess board. If the horse from 1 case, in how many cases can he possibly ends after 10 moves. You actually don't have to give a number but a 95% confidence interval.
    pen and paper allowed
      View Answers (12)
  • during the second interview : give a 95% confidence interval of the number of riders that have taken Tokyo's metro since its construction!!
    if someone takes the metro two time a days he would count 2*number of day * ....
    No paper, no pen and not internet allowed
      View Answer

Junior Trader

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in May 2012.

Interview Details – first round questions are easy, mental math, probability,
The interviewer was very patient and nice. My phone signal was terrible so he had to call me several times.

Interview Question – I have a number in mind. The product of each digit of the number is 96, no digit 1 in this number. What's the biggest and the smallest number I could think of?   View Answer

Junior Trader

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through Stanford's career website with only my resume and got an on Campus Interview. The first interview was positive. Questions were not too difficult but I was really nervous. Passed the on Campus interview and got a phone interview two days later. I was very nervous (never had a phone interview) and could barely hear the the interviewer. Did not pass this one :(

Interview Question – If the chance of rain on Saturday is 70% and on Sunday is 60%, what is the chance of it raining this weekend?   View Answers (3)

Junior Trader

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Jane Street in October 2011.

Interview Details – Three rounds of phone interviews are done so far, and the fourth one is on tomorrow. A lot of frequently asked questions appeared. However the consultancy-style guestimate questions are yet to come up. Lots of betting and market-making questions following each probability/logic problem, which makes me guess this betting process are as important a part as solving the actual problems in their evaluation.

Interview Question – 3000 Apples to be transported from city A to city B, between which the distance is 1000 miles. When there is apple on the truck, one apple disappears as every mile driven. Assume unlimited gasoline, how many apples maximum can be transported to city B? Given your answer is x, what market would you make on a lottery: you win 10 dollars if your answer is correct, otherwise 0 dollar. (All calculation must be done without pen and paper)   Answer Question

Worked for Jane Street? Contribute to the Community!