Jane Street

Jane Street Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

3.2

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Drop in the resume during university career fair. Got phone interview invitation in three days. Interviewed one week later.

Interview Questions
  • Give you a 4*4 chess box, can a knight start from any one of the squares and get to the rest squares without re-visit?   View Answers (4)

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in May 2013.

Rejected.
    Two rounds. First is math brain teasers, toss and basic calculation. Second is programming. How to compare whether two words are anagram or not.

Interview Questions
    • You'd better react quickly. Or they'll think you are not smart enough.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jane Street in January 2011.

All financial firm interviewers that came to our university are well-dressed professionals from Bulge Bracket firm names (Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sacchs, ...) to small boutique firms (Lazard, ...) EXCEPT for the Jane Street guys. I was interviewed by a nerdy looking person in a t-shirt and jeans (I have nothing against nerdy looking people. This is purely an observation). The guy either had little social skills in comparisons to interviewers from other firms, or was deeply uninterested in getting to know people and their resumes. He literally spent 3 minutes talking about my resume, and 25 minutes asking me math and probabilty questions, which was strange, but I guess fair too given the position that I was applying to. When he asked me what my favorite course was, I replied "Financial Institutions. It's a course where I got to learn about various financial institutions ranging all the way from commercial banks and insurance agencies to hedge funds, investment banks, and private equity firms". The interviewer then replied "Oh that sounds really cool. I know very little, if any, about these things, haha". I laughed along, but I would lie if I said that I wasn't put off by his comment. The interview then started with 25minutes of math and probablity.

Interview Questions
    • You have 2 decks of cards (each deck contains both red and black cards). One deck has twice the number of cards in the other deck with the same color ration (so one deck has 52 cards and the other has 104, both half red and half black). I offer you to play a game. First you get to chose which deck of cards you want to play with. Second, you draw 2 cards at random from your deck of choice. If both are red, then I will give you a ferarri. Which deck of cards would you chose?   View Answers (9)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jane Street in January 2011.

I had a 30 minutes interview. For the first 20 minutes I was asked to solve mental math problems and brain teasers. For the last 10 minutes or so I was allowed to ask questions about the company.

Some questions:

1. What is the sum of all the odd numbers form 1 to 100

Interview Questions
    • 2. In an urn you have red and blue balls (same number of balls in each of the two colors). You extract 3 balls what is the probability that the number of balls you have extracted is odd. Now you extract 10 balls, what is the probability that the number of balls you have extracted is odd?   View Answers (5)
    • 3. There are 30 blue and 30 red balls and two urns. You play a game. Your opponent has the right to arrange the balls in the two urns as he pleases, without telling you what he did. You then must draw a ball from an urn of your choice. You win $10 if you draw a blue ball, otherwise you get $0. How much would you be willing to pay to play this game?   View Answers (2)

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street in July 2012.

After submitting a resume & cover letter, I was contacted the next day, and an interview was set up for the following week. I have a programming background, and was told that they were going to evaluate me on my programming skills. OCaml was something I should consider learning for future interview, but I was explicitly told I didn't need to worry about it for the first interview.

The first interview was all OCaml.

Interview Questions
    • The problem was to create a heap, where you could add elements and remove the top element, with the contraints that the top-most element had to always be less than the top most element in the left child tree, and less than the top most element in the right child tree, and that the left child tree had to have as many or one more element than the right child tree. Furthermore, there was a "min" function (returns the value at the top of the tree) and an empty function (returns an empty tree).

The interview started using a collabedit software tool where the interviewer and I could rapidly write and exchange code. Having not been comfortable with the syntax and structure of OCaml, I noted that the person who set up the interview told me it wasn't a requirement, but I was told to carry on in OCaml.

With all that said, my preoccupation with not knowing the syntax led me to make simple functional mistakes, the interview took longer than expected, and after a week of waiting for a response, I was rejected.

The code I'm attaching is a combination of what we did through the interview, and what I finished off in my own time (my_merge, create_tree)

View Answer