Jane Street

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Jane Street in March 2012.

Interview Details – Four rounds of phone screening and one final round of on-site interviews. All on-site interviews are two-to-one. All technical questions. The interviewers are very smart but it seems they do not care that much about what they are doing at work. The overall process was pleasant though not as perfect as I expected.

Interview Question – Write a function to append two lists in OCaml.   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Jane Street in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer gave information about the position. Then proceeded to probability questions. Asked three questions, all of which were already mentioned here by other users. So I answered timely and correctly except for a small algebraic error in one question. He sounded satisfied, and asked me when I am graduating, why do I want to work in Jane St, etc. Then in 3 days, I received an email from HR saying that they decided not to move forward with my application. I am not sure why they concluded this way. Maybe because I am not from a "target" school, whereas my department is in top 10.

Interview Questions

• Throw die once or twice, and get paid the face value. What is expected payoff?   View Answers (2)
  • V~U[0,1]. Make a bet B, for V, and will be awarded 1,5 times V if B>V, otherwise your bet is worthless - you do not lose anything as well. What is your bet?   View Answers (5)

Researcher

I applied online and interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – 2 prob questions

Interview Question – 1a) A bus runs on a loop. It takes to the bus 10min to complete the loop. You go to the bus stop at random times, what's the expected time you'll be waiting for the bus?
1b) Along the way the bus driver stops for 10 min with a 50% chance. For how long you wait now?

2) There's a rounded table, you wanna place three legs randomly, what's the chance the table stands?
  View Answers (2)

Researcher

The process took a day - interviewed at Jane Street in September 2011.

Interview Details – It is all about probability, and not difficult.

Interview Question – Two gamblers are playing a coin toss game. Gamer A has (n+1) fair coins, B has n fair coins. What is the probability that A will have more than B if both flip all their coins?   View Answers (2)

Worked for Jane Street? Contribute to the Community!