Jane Street

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street in October 2014.

contacted by HR after submitted the resume about 1 week.
Interview for a research intern position in NY.
1 hr phone interview with a researcher there.
I was asked 1 probability question and 1 math question.
Very nice HR and interviewer.
You need to think if you never encounter such question before.

Interview Questions
  • rolling 2 dices, case 1 you will earn $1 is sum of them are 7; case 2 earn -$1 is sum of then are even; otherwise, roll them again until case 1 or 2 happen. Find the expected gain.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jane Street in March 2012.

Four rounds of phone screening and one final round of on-site interviews. All on-site interviews are two-to-one. All technical questions. The interviewers are very smart but it seems they do not care that much about what they are doing at work. The overall process was pleasant though not as perfect as I expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Jane Street in February 2011.

The interviewer gave information about the position. Then proceeded to probability questions. Asked three questions, all of which were already mentioned here by other users. So I answered timely and correctly except for a small algebraic error in one question. He sounded satisfied, and asked me when I am graduating, why do I want to work in Jane St, etc. Then in 3 days, I received an email from HR saying that they decided not to move forward with my application. I am not sure why they concluded this way. Maybe because I am not from a "target" school, whereas my department is in top 10.

Interview Questions
    • Throw die once or twice, and get paid the face value. What is expected payoff?   View Answers (2)
    • V~U[0,1]. Make a bet B, for V, and will be awarded 1,5 times V if B>V, otherwise your bet is worthless - you do not lose anything as well. What is your bet?   View Answers (5)

Researcher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jane Street.

2 prob questions

Interview Questions
    • 1a) A bus runs on a loop. It takes to the bus 10min to complete the loop. You go to the bus stop at random times, what's the expected time you'll be waiting for the bus?
      1b) Along the way the bus driver stops for 10 min with a 50% chance. For how long you wait now?

2) There's a rounded table, you wanna place three legs randomly, what's the chance the table stands?

View Answers (2)

Researcher Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Jane Street in September 2011.

It is all about probability, and not difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Two gamblers are playing a coin toss game. Gamer A has (n+1) fair coins, B has n fair coins. What is the probability that A will have more than B if both flip all their coins?   View Answers (2)