Jane Street

Average Difficulty
69 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Trader

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – Made to the second round (45 min phone interview), the first round is doing probability relate questions online. The second round is also problem solving, but is much harder.

Interview Question – On a multiple-choice exam with three possible answers for each of the five questions, what is the probability that a student would get four or more correct answer just by guessing?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Jane Street in February 2013.

Interview Details – 4 phone interviews plus 1 on-site final round. I was not impressed with hr as a couple of times they told me I passed the phone interview, that they would schedule the next interview within a week, and then they did not. I had to call them to schedule. Also, they did not call me once for a scheduled interview and had to reschedule.

Phone interviews are mostly math problems / brain teasers. No fit questions whatsoever.

For the final round, they give you a study sheet, and expect you to memorize the jargon inside out. You should be very fluent in their language (of trading). It is pretty difficult, so don't put it off till the last day, and practice. They give you a 100 poker chips and expect you to 'make a market on' various things, such as, sum of the face values of the next four cards flipped, sum of squares of the next two dice rolls, etc. You have limited time, so they expect you to think and ACT fast.

I ended up with ~140 chips at the end. I did not get an offer. I don't think the number of chips matter. I think they evaluate your personality more than anything else. I was not a good fit (I now think I was very risk averse, I only bet when I was very likely to win. That's why I ended up with 140 chips. It's no good though.), so I didn't get the offer. Overall good experience though.

Interview Question – Make a market on the number of numbers in your resume. I sold for 100. There was ~190.   View Answer

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – Pre-Interview(10min), Interview(30min)

Interview Question – How many tons does the ocean weigh?   Answer Question

Trader

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview

Interview Question – I flip 4 coins and give you a dollar for each head. I also give you the opportunity to flip one tail after I have flipped all four coins. What is the expected value of this game?   View Answers (6)

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – Applied through campus, asked some mental math questions and a couple probability questions

Interview Question – 15% of 37   View Answers (2)

Trader

I applied online and interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – I had a interview with Jane Street recently and the position is trader. They asked a lot of mental math and probability problems, The interviewer is a trader based in Chicago and he was really nice. The questions were not very difficult.

Interview Question – There were not very difficult questions. Just take you several minutes to think about it.   Answer Question

Trader

I applied online - interviewed at Jane Street in November 2013.

Interview Details – the interviewer asked me questions for 20 minutes. she was very nice and helpful.

Interview Question – what day of the week will it be 10 years from today?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – Very friendly. Very quantitative and merit-based.

Interview Question – Incredibly challenging math.   View Answer

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – Submitted their online application; received an email about a week later to schedule a phone interview.

Interview Question – Was asked to estimate how many human beings have ever lived on planet earth.   Answer Question

Trader

I applied online and interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – Applying for winter internship. Had one interview thus far over phone, spoke with Tim who was nice and patient when I took a while to answer a question. Was somewhat friendly but mainly was professional and to the point. Interview questions were mental math and logic, received a second interview for later.

Interview Question – There are infinite cards numbered 1-5. You construct a deck. Someone guesses a value and draws a card. If they guessed correctly, they get the value. What composition of the deck minimizes their expected value?   View Answers (3)

Worked for Jane Street? Contribute to the Community!