Jane Street

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Trading Interview

Trading

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jane Street in November 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application for a winter internship through the company site, HR emailed to setup a phone interview a little less than a week later. Interview was purely quantitative, started off relatively easy (mental math, basic probability that you have to answer in 30 or so seconds) and eventually interviewer moved on to more difficult probability questions. You'll be asked to not use your computer/a calculator at all, but the interviewer will walk you through the more difficult problems if you get stuck. Nothing technical/finance related.

Interview Question – Sum the even numbers in the range 1-100.   View Answer

Trading Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Contacted for interview the day after. Made it to round 2. Interview was quite difficult. Make sure to review probability and statistics for the interview. Don't bother studying behavioral questions. Most annoying thing was how Jane Street stopped replying after round 2, so I assume I didn't make past round 2.

Interview Question – The interviewer gives you 100 blank cards, and you can write a single positive integer on each card. The interviewer looks at the cards when you're done (so he knows the probability distribution of the deck), then shuffles the deck. The interviewer guesses the top card of the deck, and if he's right, he makes in $ the number written on the card. What numbers should you write on the cards to minimize the expected return of the interviewer?   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Trading Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website, which was fairly simple. They contacted me just a few days later looking to interview me, and from then on I exchanged short emails with an HR rep about good times for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• They always warm you up with an "easy" question or two. In my second interview, the warm up wasn't so easy. They first asked, "If I roll two dice and tell you that at least 1 is a 6, what is the probability that both are 6s?"   View Answer
  • Here is where the interview got difficult. The follow up question to the dice, "How much does the Earth weigh?" And then what is my 90% confidence interval.   View Answer

Trading Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – several rounds of half hour telephone interview

Interview Question – what is the population of LV at 1940.   View Answer

Trading Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview Details – On Campus Interview, then Phone. There's a total of 5 rounds, with each round getting progressively harder. The questions themselves are interesting and certainly fun, but definitely take a good deal of thought if you haven't seen the questions before. They improvise a lot of questions on the spot, rather than sticking to a script.

Interview Question – "How many three pointers are made in the NBA per year?" "What's your 90% confidence interval on that?"   View Answer

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – Applied online, received an email within a week to schedule a phone interview, and the phone interview was a week later.

Interview Question – Three questions were mental math: 12,000,000 - 101; 24*24; 12% of 54.

Then there was a probability question: you have 4 fair coins. If you flip all of them, what is the probability of getting at least 2 heads?
  View Answer

Interview Details – Applied, same week got an interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jane Street in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through a contact at the firm, was informed I got an interview about 6 hours later. We scheduled a phone interview for the following week. Pretty tough interview, wouldn't have been too bad if I was able to maintain my composure, got a little too nervous. Interviewer doesn't give his name or ask anything personal or fit based.

Interview Question – 11% of 68
1,000,000-211
32 x 28
1 bowling ball has diameter of 8 inches, weighs 16 pounds. A bowling ball of equal density has diameter of 12. How much does it weight?

We're going to play a game. You go first. You flip a coin and if you get H, I give you $30. If you get T, you give me the coin and I flip. If I get H, you give me $30, if I get T I give it back to you. We keep going until one of us gets heads. What is the max amount you'd be willing to pay to go first. Give a 50% confidence range and a 90% one of your answer. Why?
  View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Jane Street

Interview Details – One email and then a phone screen. The phone call lasted only 15 minutes long and was very difficult, consisitng of very quick math questions and then a longer question about combinatorices. The interviewer seemed disinterested but probably because he had to take time from his busy day to interview.

Interview Question – Typical dice question with variations and the expected value of rolling the dice a couple times. Price for playing the game of throwing dice.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jane Street in October 2012.

Interview Details – Few rounds of interviews

Interview Question – No “unexpected” question types. 1 fit “describe your experience at college” question at most. Everything else was math and probability in first round.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jane Street

Worked for Jane Street? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jane Street Trading Intern interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Jane Street employees and interview candidates.