Jane Street Trading Intern Interview Questions

4.1

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street.

I applied online through their website, which was fairly simple. They contacted me just a few days later looking to interview me, and from then on I exchanged short emails with an HR rep about good times for a phone interview.

Interview Questions
  • They always warm you up with an "easy" question or two. In my second interview, the warm up wasn't so easy. They first asked, "If I roll two dice and tell you that at least 1 is a 6, what is the probability that both are 6s?"   View Answer
  • Here is where the interview got difficult. The follow up question to the dice, "How much does the Earth weigh?" And then what is my 90% confidence interval.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jane Street.

several rounds of half hour telephone interview

Trading Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jane Street.

On Campus Interview, then Phone. There's a total of 5 rounds, with each round getting progressively harder. The questions themselves are interesting and certainly fun, but definitely take a good deal of thought if you haven't seen the questions before. They improvise a lot of questions on the spot, rather than sticking to a script.

Interview Questions
    • "How many three pointers are made in the NBA per year?" "What's your 90% confidence interval on that?"   View Answer

Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in February 2014.

Applied online. Contacted for interview the day after. Made it to round 2. Interview was quite difficult. Make sure to review probability and statistics for the interview. Don't bother studying behavioral questions. Most annoying thing was how Jane Street stopped replying after round 2, so I assume I didn't make past round 2.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer gives you 100 blank cards, and you can write a single positive integer on each card. The interviewer looks at the cards when you're done (so he knows the probability distribution of the deck), then shuffles the deck. The interviewer guesses the top card of the deck, and if he's right, he makes in $ the number written on the card. What numbers should you write on the cards to minimize the expected return of the interviewer?   View Answers (4)

Trading Intern Interview

Applied online, received an email within a week to schedule a phone interview, and the phone interview was a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Three questions were mental math: 12,000,000 - 101; 24*24; 12% of 54.

Then there was a probability question: you have 4 fair coins. If you flip all of them, what is the probability of getting at least 2 heads?
        View Answer

Trading Intern Interview

Applied, same week got an interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jane Street in November 2013.

Applied through a contact at the firm, was informed I got an interview about 6 hours later. We scheduled a phone interview for the following week. Pretty tough interview, wouldn't have been too bad if I was able to maintain my composure, got a little too nervous. Interviewer doesn't give his name or ask anything personal or fit based.

Interview Questions
    • 11% of 68
      1,000,000-211
      32 x 28
      1 bowling ball has diameter of 8 inches, weighs 16 pounds. A bowling ball of equal density has diameter of 12. How much does it weight?

We're going to play a game. You go first. You flip a coin and if you get H, I give you $30. If you get T, you give me the coin and I flip. If I get H, you give me $30, if I get T I give it back to you. We keep going until one of us gets heads. What is the max amount you'd be willing to pay to go first. Give a 50% confidence range and a 90% one of your answer. Why?
        View Answers (3)

Trading Intern Interview

One email and then a phone screen. The phone call lasted only 15 minutes long and was very difficult, consisitng of very quick math questions and then a longer question about combinatorices. The interviewer seemed disinterested but probably because he had to take time from his busy day to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Typical dice question with variations and the expected value of rolling the dice a couple times. Price for playing the game of throwing dice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in October 2012.

Few rounds of interviews

Interview Questions
    • No “unexpected” question types. 1 fit “describe your experience at college” question at most. Everything else was math and probability in first round.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Jane Street in February 2012.

There was no behavioral section to the interview. I was asked a few probability dice questions and a card game question. There was also a mental math problem at the beginning.