Jane Street

3.5

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Windows Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Jane Street in January 2013.

I applied through Jane Street's website. Got a call a week later to set up a phone screen. The phone was anything but that, it was over an hour long with 2 members of the IT team. They asked a bunch of technical questions, which I did fairly well. Also asked some personality questions as well, and why i'm looking to leave. Had another 1+hr phone interview with a few more members the next week, and went through the same process. Had in person interview 2 weeks later. Met with multiple members of the IT team for 5 hours. Asked advanced & diffucult Networking, Windows, personality & brain teaser questions. Did pretty on all, brain teasers were the hardest to figure out & took the longest for me to answer.

Interview Questions
  • There were a few things that were tough. I hate the brain teaser questions with a passion. I was able to figure them all out after a little while, but that definitely wasn't my strong suit.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Windows Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jane Street in February 2012.

I had 3 phone interviews, the first with someone who does roughly the same job that I was interviewing for who asked my general Windows/IT questions. I got the impression based off of the interview that my Windows skills probably surpassed his. I moved on to the Second interview with a different employee who asked me almost exclusively Unix questions. These questions were more in depth for the most part, and I got the feeling this person was more skilled than the first interviewer. Finally on my Third and last interview, I had to look at some code (VBScript) and analyze it, however unfortunately, he had copied the code from what was probably a script he had on hand that was written for his company, and he copied a section that left out calls to functions and variable definitions that were probably located somewhere outside of the realm of the cut-and-paste. This made it a little difficult to follow the logic. There was also almost no comments in the code. I was given probably 3-4 minutes to read an decipher the code, which was not enough time for me to be positive. When he came back, we went over the code and I think I made it clear I understood the basics, but there was 2 methods that I didn't know by memory. He tried to explain the InStr function, and I am pretty sure he explained it incorrectly. I would bet my hat the first Interviewer could not have passed this test, and neither did I, even though I was able to explain what the code did, and find several errors in the code. I would be surprised if the Interviewer himself could have done any better with the restraints given receiving this code site unseen. It is easy to appear smart when you know the answers to the questions you ask. I think they are looking for someone who is more talented than the staf they currently have.

Interview Questions
    • Analyze VBScript code   View Answer
    • Explain, as in depth as possible what happens when you type google.com into a browser in a domain environment.   View Answer