Janie and Jack

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Janie and Jack.

Interview Details – I have a contact with the company. After a few weeks, I received a call from the District Manager for a phone interview. A week later, I met her for a one-on-one. About a week went by and I met with Manager of a sister company, followed by a FOURTH interview with the Store Manager of the location I would be working. I was shocked at the low pay and lack of benefits,etc. However, I took the position since my contact had worked to get me interviewed and I needed work. Basic interview questions and "standard". Nothing difficult.

Interview Question – "Our customers expect world-class service. How would you handle a difficult customer who may be a little heated?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I you choose to work here, it will be for little pay, hours on your feet usually working alone in the store. Not much in way of benefits and most Assistant Managers are part-time without benefits. Also, Managers rarely make BONUS because they are usually over in payroll... If you go over more than 1% per week or don't make sales you will not bonus. Also, returns from online sale into the store are against you for that days sales. None of this is discussed.

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Janie and Jack in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was filled with scenarios of what you would do in certain situations: dealing with immoral people, angry customers, co-workers doing something wrong, etc... Also what teamwork means to you, etc.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. It was pretty straight-forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Janie and Jack in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very laid back. The woman asking in all the questions was very personable and at times we got off track which made me feel really relaxed. I heard back if I got the job less than a week later. They responded very quickly. It overall was a good interview!

Interview Question – Not any difficult questions. Just your typical ones at every interview-tell me about yourself, what are you most proud of? What do you believe makes a good sales associate? Questions like that were asked during the interview.   Answer Question

Janie and Jack Sales Lead Interview

Janie and Jack Sales Lead

Interviewed at Janie and Jack

Interview Details – Had two interviews before being hired. being hired was a quick process, only two or three days before I was offered the job and started training. The store atmosphere is nice if you don't want to deal with a lot of customers at one time. will work alone quite often and will ony recieve about 25 hours a week maximum.

Interview Question – Most of the questions asked were typical interview questions   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Janie and Jack.

Interview Details – I was hired as a sales lead and promoted within 4 mo. they waited until after the hoildays to avoid paying holiday pay. initial interview was with store mgr, a Gymboree mgr and with district mgr, questions were about my previous experiience, how I handle unhappy customers, working alone, multitasking and directing others.

Interview Question – What did I bring special or different to the company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there was none, it was take it or leave it

Very Easy Interview

Williamsburg, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Janie and Jack in June 2012.

Interview Details – I heard back the day after I applied to the position, and I had an interview within a week. It was a very easy and casual interview. They asked about my previous work experience and other general behavioral interview questions. I received an offer at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – The interview questions were very straight forward. The most difficult question was probably about how I have handled upset customers in the past.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not much to negotiate. Due to my schedule, I was able to receive more flexible hours.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Janie and Jack.

Interview Details – The interview process involved a 1:1 interview followed by a second phone interview. This is not an easy interview at all. The interviewer will ask you lots of questions and the interview lasts for about an hour. Be sure to give lots of details and be as specific as possible (include names), they want to hear stories. Also, be prepared to lay down all your flaws and discuss them openly and over an explanation, again, in detail.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time you realized you made a mistake hiring someone, what was that mistake and how would you avoid making the same mistake again?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

The process took a day - interviewed at Janie and Jack in April 2008.

Interview Details – The employers were very nice and personable. They asked normal basic interview questions and seemed to really want someone who would be reliable. They said that they did not discriminate but only women worked there (it could just be that men don't normally apply). It was a friendly environment once hired.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Sales Lead

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Janie and Jack in May 2010.

Interview Details – It was a typical interview, "Tell me about a time when..." For the sales lead position, there were 2 interviews, one with the store manager and one with the district manager. Each was around a half an hour in length. Some of the major points were dealing with comflict among employees in your store, customer service, and working with little or no direction.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with another employee. What did you do, and what were the results?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Janie and Jack? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Janie and Jack interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Janie and Jack employees and interview candidates.