Janney Montgomery Scott

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

2.5

Operations Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott.

The interview process was more behavioral. They will ask about past experiences and how your skills from those roles will fit in the open position.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask to give specific examples of problems and how you overcame them.   Answer Question
    It was very quick

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in February 2014.

On campus recruiting. First round interview was on campus (mid Feb), fairly easy, mostly behavioral and walk-me-through your resume type of questions. Second round on site interview (early/Mid March). Interviewed with 2 associates and 2 directors/MDs. Both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think about the unemployment rate these days.   Answer Question

Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in August 2013.

Was first contacted by HR who was nice enough. Came in for a face to face with hiring manager, advanced to next round. It's important to note that this was shifted about 2-3 times and then on the day of my first rounds one interviewer had to bow out. Fair enough, things happen. Come in for the next round of interviews and all seems to go well. Called later that week and told about how they now want to interview also some candidates internally and will get back to me. Why would you not interview internally first? I get it that companies feed job seekers a line or two but when they are adamant that "we don't operate like that, we will definitely tell you one way or the other" and then never call you again, it's not the best look. I think Janney is a great company but the group clearly had no idea where they wanted to go with the role so I'm glad I accepted a different offer.

Equity Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in June 2013.

I applied through a connection, and as soon as a position opened up I received an email. I interviewed the next week, and had a great interview. Later, they told me I was not hired as someone internally decided to take on the job. I learned about this about ten days after the interview.

Windows Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in June 2012.

Had a 25 minute telephone interview initially with HR who asked me to summarize my career history and ask some general soft skill questions. They then organised for the Hiring Manager to contact me with some technical questions and this lasted for approx. 30 minutes.
    Next stage would have been face to face interview however I received an email 8 days after the technical interview to say my application was unsuccessful.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example where you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you overcome their issue.   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between a pst and ost file?   Answer Question
    • How would you find out which programs are running at start up on a Windows XP machine?   Answer Question
    • How would you find what group policies are being applied to a PC?   Answer Question
    • Troubleshooting steps when faced with a Blackberry where an appointment isn't synching.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in January 2011.

Several interviews. Fast paced environment. Intelligent management and coworkers.
    Slow decision process and long wait period.

Interview Questions
    • No unusual or difficult questions. Down to earth interviewer . Kept it light with humor.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate. Salary range is set.

Human Resources Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in December 2010.

They were unprepared. "tell me about yourself." They had not read my resume. Were not clear about what the job really was or how it would be measured. They hire fast and turn over faster.

Interview Questions
    vacation days. Then they tell you you will probably not take all given. correct. Culture is be there. don't take all vacation time.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in November 2009.

Mostly behavior questions and asking why you would be a good fit for the company. A few technical investment questions, nothing overly difficult.

Interview Questions
    • How many other people do you think are interviewing for this position?   View Answer

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in August 2009.

Gave you an overview of the firm and how the business works. You meet with numerous managers and get a good feel for the attitude of the workplace.

Interview Questions
    • Past experience with issues and how you dealt with them   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott.

Referred by a friend about a possible internship. Was very friendly phone interview that was not difficult. More of an explanation about what the job entailed and what to expect from it.