Janney Montgomery Scott Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.6

Dividend/Reorg Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

The interview process was good. I met with about 3 different people within different departments of the company. The entire process took about three weeks. i received a phone call stating that they wanted to offer me the position. I was told the salary and satisfied at the time and accepted the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by on site interview. Phone screen was quick - discuss current projects, reasons for wanting to make a move, etc. In person interview by 3 developers - varying difficulty. Cubicle areas are uniform with no personalization. Ultimately JMS sought experience with technologies not listed within job description.

Interview Questions

• Discuss recent projects. OOP questions - static vs non static, virtual functions, multithreading, synchronization, left outer joins, etc.   Answer Question

Capital Markets Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott.

Interview

Got an email from the company about two months after I applied through college. Emailed back and forth several times to set up a phone interview. The first round interview was short and lasted about 15 minutes and they basically ask about your experiences and walk you through your resume.

Interview Questions

• Basically behavioral questions and walking through your resume. No specifically difficult question.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through my college recruiting site offered by my College. Granted, I go to a "target" university, I had two phone interviews - both 30 minutes back to back. I was honest with my knowledge (and lack thereof when it comes to finance as I go to a liberal arts institution). I was interviewed by the current analysts that I would be working under. They were friendly, personable and I felt it was necessary to make evident that I have a personality to go along with my brain and I would be a kind of person they want to work with for hours on end on any given day.

Interview Questions

• None. I discussed my knowledge of the relationship between the 3 financial statements, discussed the 3 ways to evaluate a firm, and the significance and future project of the current trend in oil.   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with the Analyst, followed by an in person interview. It took a while to organize both steps, but that was due to the Analyst’s schedule. Next, they had me do an initiation report for a stock that they cover. I was given a month to complete the report. A day before it was due, I emailed the Analyst, only to find out that they had quit their job two weeks earlier. They told me to forward the project to their successor. I did this, and they said they would get back to me about it. They never bothered to get back to me about my project, which struck me as very unprofessional given the amount of time and work the firm had asked me to put into the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There were a few questions and I don’t remember all of them, but they asked the normal ER interview questions (e.g. “walk me through your resume”, “What do you think of the economy”, etc.)   Answer Question

FA Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2014.

Interview

Interview was short and sweet. Met with a junior member of the team and the three senior members individually. Ask pretty straight forward questions. It was more of a fit interview than a technical one.

Interview Questions

• How would you diversify the assets of a 25 year old as opposed to a 65 year old.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott.

Interview

The interview process was more behavioral. They will ask about past experiences and how your skills from those roles will fit in the open position.

Interview Questions

• They will ask to give specific examples of problems and how you overcame them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was very quick

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

On campus recruiting. First round interview was on campus (mid Feb), fairly easy, mostly behavioral and walk-me-through your resume type of questions. Second round on site interview (early/Mid March). Interviewed with 2 associates and 2 directors/MDs. Both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about the unemployment rate these days.   Answer Question

Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2013.

Interview

Was first contacted by HR who was nice enough. Came in for a face to face with hiring manager, advanced to next round. It's important to note that this was shifted about 2-3 times and then on the day of my first rounds one interviewer had to bow out. Fair enough, things happen. Come in for the next round of interviews and all seems to go well. Called later that week and told about how they now want to interview also some candidates internally and will get back to me. Why would you not interview internally first? I get it that companies feed job seekers a line or two but when they are adamant that "we don't operate like that, we will definitely tell you one way or the other" and then never call you again, it's not the best look. I think Janney is a great company but the group clearly had no idea where they wanted to go with the role so I'm glad I accepted a different offer.

Equity Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Janney Montgomery Scott (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied through a connection, and as soon as a position opened up I received an email. I interviewed the next week, and had a great interview. Later, they told me I was not hired as someone internally decided to take on the job. I learned about this about ten days after the interview.