Jardine Matheson Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015

3.8

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Jardine Matheson.

Interview

Had an informational interview with someone in HR after an internal referral for their selective Executive Development Program. Was the most condescending interview I have ever had and I've interviewed with the most pretentious companies. Basically the interviewer hadn't looked at my resume and used the time to insinuate that because I was American I would fail to grasp business in Asia. (I'm fluent in Mandarin and interned for a consulting firm in Shanghai in addition to a 6 month study abroad program in Beijing, all of which is very prominent on my resume) Moreover they require you to take an onsite test and the testing sites are only in London, Singapore, and HK. The London test date was on the same day that my CFA Level 1 was so it wasn't an option. I realize I'm drawing my conclusion from a tiny sample size, but regardless if a senior member of HR is that bad at speaking to prospective hires I can't see myself working there. If you find yourself in the situation where an internal referral lands you a preliminary informational interview don't be surprised if the HR member hasn't looked at your resume and is extremely condescending.

Interview Questions

• The interview was entirely driven by me, the interviewer asked virtually no questions.   Answer Question

SEATs Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jardine Matheson (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through online and it takes around 1 week for the company reply. It will require the candidate to submit a 3 minutes video regarding self-introduction, motivation of joining the program, why would you like to go back and work in your home country and one strength and challenge of Jardine's business in your home country. Simultaneously, you will be required to do online assessment test (verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning). You will advance to phone interview stage if you are shortlisted and the phone interview process is rather relaxing (HR will ask standard competency questions like your background, what have you learnt from your internship and how does that add value to Jardine Matheson and etc.)

Next stage will be attending the assessment centre which divided into morning session and afternoon session. Morning session will be about situational leadership test, numerical reasoning test and group discussion. Group discussion will breakdown into 20 minutes preparation, 10 minutes small group discussion and 30 minutes big group discussion (which is actually a business meeting style). What you need to take note about this group discussion is that you have to speak out and demonstrate leadership qualities. It is also like what the previous review state where the content you talk about is important, but your great personality and leadership quality must be demonstrate during the whole process. Remember to lead the discussion/facilitate the meeting.

If you are successful in the morning session, you will proceed to the afternoon session.
    If you failed in the morning session, you will receive feedback from them which is quite valuable.

Interview Questions

• Whether to raise tuition fee? University Government Council vs School Union   Answer Question

Seats Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jardine Matheson (Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)) in February 2015.

Interview

There are 2 rounds on the Assessment Day (the interview day). Round 1 is IQ test, personality test and then Group Debate (debate about the raise of tuition fee, 1 part of the group will play the part of School Board and the other is the Student Union). There will be several high-ranking personnel watching you guys debate. After that, they will assess the test score and debate performance to decide who gets to stay in for the 2nd round.
    The 2nd round is face to face interview with high-ranking employees from Jardine Matheson

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jardine Matheson.

Interview

You will be asked to send them a video to introduce yourself after you submit your online application. HR will then call you for a phone interview about some leadership, problem solving question. If you are being shortlisted, you will be invited to the assessment centre. It consists of two parts. Morning session: HR will introduce about the company and the programme also the selection process. Then you will be asked to a numerical and situation tests. There will be a group discussion process after that. If you are lucky enough, you will be asked to join the afternoon session.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about something about jardines?   1 Answer

JETs Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jardine Matheson.

Interview

application, video (2 minutes based on a couple of question they give you - pretty simple/ mostly repeating CV), phone interview (was very relaxed, HR personnel are very nice, typical competency questions), day assessment centre (numerical, situational, group discussion), afternoon panel interview (only half or less than half proceed - three interviews including a business presentation) -- it was a really long day!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jardine Matheson.

Interview

I had my AC few weeks ago and questions are rather different from the other reviewer posted on glassadoor. I suppose they change their interview questions in each AC. Therefore I don't think its necessary to read the review and listen to other candidates' experiences before actually going there. But it's always better to know what you will be expected to do before an interview.

I was called to the panel interviews and quite frankly there is nothing you can prepare or cram before the interview. It's all about your knowledge that accumulated over the years and the attitude you possess. Mind you the HR people are well-trained to observe you so be careful what you say and what you do. My experience also told me that modesty is not what they are looking for but don't brag yourself. They have received around than 1000 application and only 30 were invited to the AC, with merely 18 can go to the panel interview. My tips is to be yourself, don't try to pretend or exaggerate. They are very good at spotting these people. If you are good enough to make it to the panel interview then you are extremely good, even if you don't have an offer in the end. it's all about personality match and you never know what they are looking for.

Final piece of advice - Sleep well before the AC. It's gonna be a long day. Take it as a learning experience and don't expect too much.

Interview Questions

• Questions are easy to manage. Its the personality you present is difficult.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Jardine Matheson in December 2014.

Interview

1. Online application
    2. Video submission - introduce your background & motivation
    3. Phone interviews - standard behavioral questions
    4. SHL Verbal/Math Test
    5. Leadership questionnaire
    6. Assessment Center (8am - 5pm)
    -Math retest
    -Situation questionnaire
    -Group discussion (10 candidates)
    -Eliminate 4 out of 10 candidates. Remaining 6 candidates continue after lunch.
    -Individual Presentation (30 min prep time, 5 min presentation on a business scenario) + Role Plays
    -Business Panel (Current affairs & how they impact Jardine's business)
    -Career Panel (Situational/behavioral questions)

Interview Questions

• Group discussion:
      -School board Vs Student union
      -Raise tuition fees or not

Individual presentation:
      -5 year market entry strategy if Jardine wants to expand into Myanmar
      Q&A for individual presentation:
      -Potential risks
      -How do you cope with competitors from other countries
      -Financials

Business Panel:
      -Reason behind drop in oil price
      -Deflationary pressure & its impact on Southeast Asian & China markets
      -Factors to consider if you're looking to invest or dispose a business
      -If you have 10B US dollar, which Jardine business would you invest in?

Answer Question

SEATs Program Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jardine Matheson.

Interview

Two weeks after my online application, I received a phone interview asking about my background and what I have learnt from my previous internship experience. The next step was to submit a five minute video about myself and the strenght and weakness of any one business of Jardines in my home country.
    Few days later they asked me to attend an asessment. The assessment consists of two parts:
    Morning Session and Afternoon Session (only those who are shortlisted).
    During the morning session, we went through numerical test, verbal reasoning, strategic paper writing, group discussion and debate.
    For the afternoon session, I was asked to prepare a business proposal and present it to the management team. They also asked general questions like please talk about one current affair that will affect their business etc. There were two roleplay scenarios in the second part of the afternoon session. The first scenario was you were a HR manager who wanted to fire senior executives and the second one was you were a trainee manager who just arrives in China.

Interview Questions

• The roleplay can be very challenging as you are face-to-face with senior HR managers and they are good at playing your around with tough situations.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jardine Matheson (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2013.

Interview

Long process. It took several months to finish the assessment.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Jardine Matheson (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in March 2013.

Interview

Email correspondence directly, then a phone interview followed by a face to face interview. Very easy and helpful process with a top class international company. 2 month long internship with a subsidiary company of the Jardines conglomerate.