Jardine Matheson

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

3.9

Executive Development Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Jardine Matheson.

Had an informational interview with someone in HR after an internal referral for their selective Executive Development Program. Was the most condescending interview I have ever had and I've interviewed with the most pretentious companies. Basically the interviewer hadn't looked at my resume and used the time to insinuate that because I was American I would fail to grasp business in Asia. (I'm fluent in Mandarin and interned for a consulting firm in Shanghai in addition to a 6 month study abroad program in Beijing, all of which is very prominent on my resume) Moreover they require you to take an onsite test and the testing sites are only in London, Singapore, and HK. The London test date was on the same day that my CFA Level 1 was so it wasn't an option. I realize I'm drawing my conclusion from a tiny sample size, but regardless if a senior member of HR is that bad at speaking to prospective hires I can't see myself working there. If you find yourself in the situation where an internal referral lands you a preliminary informational interview don't be surprised if the HR member hasn't looked at your resume and is extremely condescending.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was entirely driven by me, the interviewer asked virtually no questions.   Answer Question

SEATs Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jardine Matheson.

Two weeks after my online application, I received a phone interview asking about my background and what I have learnt from my previous internship experience. The next step was to submit a five minute video about myself and the strenght and weakness of any one business of Jardines in my home country.
    Few days later they asked me to attend an asessment. The assessment consists of two parts:
    Morning Session and Afternoon Session (only those who are shortlisted).
    During the morning session, we went through numerical test, verbal reasoning, strategic paper writing, group discussion and debate.
    For the afternoon session, I was asked to prepare a business proposal and present it to the management team. They also asked general questions like please talk about one current affair that will affect their business etc. There were two roleplay scenarios in the second part of the afternoon session. The first scenario was you were a HR manager who wanted to fire senior executives and the second one was you were a trainee manager who just arrives in China.

Interview Questions
    • The roleplay can be very challenging as you are face-to-face with senior HR managers and they are good at playing your around with tough situations.   Answer Question

Southeast Asian Talent Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jardine Matheson in August 2014.

CV Screening -> Telephone Interview -> Video Submission -> Assessment Centre -> Last Interview with Group companies

The interview process is well structured and once you've got through the CV Screening round, the rest of the process is, if you pass, closely timed with each other. The Group HR department is fast at responding to candidates' queries

Interview Questions
    • They asked about your family background and tried to test whether you have a strong Asia affiliation   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jardine Matheson in August 2013.

Long process. It took several months to finish the assessment.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Jardine Matheson in March 2013.

Email correspondence directly, then a phone interview followed by a face to face interview. Very easy and helpful process with a top class international company. 2 month long internship with a subsidiary company of the Jardines conglomerate.

Executive Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online – interviewed at Jardine Matheson in December 2012.

The morning session was intense and it consists of four parts. It started with a strategic paper, asking you to discuss the business implication of an aging population in a country where they have their businesses in. It was followed by a group discussion (20 mins prep, 10 mins small group discussion and 30 mins big group discussion), a verbal reasoning test and a numeracy test.

Interview Questions
    • Group discussion was about how to sale tobacco in Singapore where government restrictions are getting stricter and stricter.   Answer Question

Strategy/Corporate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jardine Matheson in October 2010.

I contacted the company through their general inquiry email account. They screened my CV and set up a phone interview in the same day. The position I was looking for, was a strategy department at Jardine Matheson holding company. However, it turns out 1) they didn't have a big strategy department 2) Advanced level of madarin skills and finance sector experience were required.

Interview Questions
    • Do you speak advanced level of Madrin?   View Answer