Jawbone

Updated Jan 9, 2015
Updated Jan 9, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jawbone in September 2014.

Worst company to interview for. Total waste of time. I was contacted by an HR for a Software Engineering position. He then scheduled a technical phone interview. During the interview, my interviewer said he wants me to come for an onsite. I mentioned that I have an onsite in the Bay Area with some other company. I was asked to give an onsite interview during my pre planned trip but because of some commitments I said I won't be able to interview during this trip.

After this I didn't get any reply from the HR for the next 3 weeks. I sent 4 emails, contacted the HR and the interviewer on Linkedin, but still they haven't replied. I got a reply from the HR after my 5th email nearly 4 weeks after my interview. He said they will interview me if I am coming to bay area for some other company.

If you are not willing to pay for an onsite trip, why do you interview people outside of Bay area? The entire interview process is a sheer waste of time and efforts. HR is really unprofessional and they have no regards for the people who are trying to find a job.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were straight forward and easy. Don't waste your time behind this company.   Answer Question

Unprofessional behavior from the HR. No replies to the email, company not willing to pay for the travel, very bad interview experience and because of all this, I don't want to join a company wherein they don't value people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jawbone.

Applied online, interview process was fast: 1) phone screen with HR / recruiter, 2) technical interview with future manager over the phone (< 45 minutes) 3) flight to an on-site interview that went on for something like 5-6 hours total.

The onsite interview was with engineering management, as well as three other engineers, and covered mostly practical and applied engineering topics, but also included a few brain teasers.

Lunch was provided, and there was a "culture fit" interview with an employee over lunch as well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected -- you should prepare with some algorithm questions, but also have had some experience with their programming languages of choice for your interview (e.g., Python for non-mobile development)   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jawbone in May 2014.

The interview process was great. It was very challenging but authentic. The recruiter made the process fly by and it was a short time from application to hire. I was able to meet cross functionally with the teams the position worked with most so I felt like there was a good understanding of the role.

Interview Questions
    • As a product manager how to you weigh the cost benefits of a feature and at what point do you call a feature into question for reconsideration   Answer Question
    Most of my asks were met so I didn't do much negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jawbone in April 2014.

Applied via jobvite (employee referral) on 2/22; 2 [1 hour] phone screens (3/10; 3/20) and an on-site 4/1 for the UP team [~5 hours + lunch].

Efficient interview process, everything moved very quickly and I enjoyed the overall experience. My interview started off with lunch since I was flying in from Seattle, followed by 3-4 in-person interviews afterwards. The questions were fair and I enjoyed my interview process -- the staff was super nice (receptionist and such), one of the gentleman even hailed a cab for me in the pouring SF rain.

I didn't get to tour the office very much, but it seemed pretty open with large flat desks (mostly a Mac shop) with ample room to work with people side by side. I spent most of my time at the lunch table and in the conference room where my interview was; unlike some other companies I was able to take to break in between (not true for quite a few places I've also interviewed at). There were a couple of dogs running around which I think is awesome, unless you have allergies.

Per the other interviewer, I disagree with the reimbursement schedule -- it took a bit of a emailing to get it back, but no more than other companies in the bay area.

Interview Questions
    • I applied as a front-end software engineer and was asked pretty specific questions that tested breadth and depth of the web stack and then some (i.e. data structures, CSS, JavaScript, event handling, HTML, etc.). The questions were things you'd encounter on the job, pretty fair imho.   Answer Question

Customer Experience/Usability Researcher Interview

I knew someone in the hiring group and was invited to formally apply for the position. The process was standardized and fair. I completed a phone screen with the hiring manager. Since that went well, I came in to do in-person interviews with the hiring manager and representatives from the CX/UX group and the product teams that would be clients for CX/UX work.

The process was handled well and I knew what to expect. My formal contact during the interview process provided clear briefing on the mechanics of the interviewing process as well as some of the thorny problems that the product groups needed solutions to. The questions were pointed and the interviews were cordial. Everyone was paying attention to cultural fit as well as technical chops. Ultimately I didn't end up working there, but the interview process was smooth and targeted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you conduct research for an innovative product that has no analogue or equivalent on the market today? Specifically describe your methods to get actionable insights for design and marketing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jawbone in January 2014.

---
    Good:
     ‌• Free (catered) food, drinks, and swag
     ‌• Most of my interviewers professional and polite, some were not

Bad:
     ‌• Overselling of the position/product
     ‌• Lack of communication/professionalism
     ‌• No interview reimbursement
     ‌• Limited contact information (intentionally obscured, unreachable)
     ‌• Difficult parking (expected)

Standard interview process; phone screen and an on-site interview. Very laid back and most of the interview went off without a hitch except with some HR (see below) Definitely enjoyed the interview overall.

Culture is the typical SF warehouse setup, laid back -- but a bit chaotic for my taste (long tables where you work shoulder to shoulder). This makes it hard to define your own space/area, typical for some SF-based companies.

Great location and close to a lot of other companies in the area, definite plus for tech diversity.

My only complaint is dealing with HR for reimbursements, it's been over 6 months now and I still haven't heard back. So unlike most other technical companies where they pay your way, this one in particular will be a "sunk cost" and may be glaring red flags of how the company operates overall. I believe if this is how they operate over trivial travel expenses that it would much worse for any other expenses you might incur as a candidate (i.e. relocation, etc). I would not recommend interviewing with Jawbone if you were not in the SF area.

Interview Questions
    • Know your data structures and algorithms, these questions are practical in nature and aren't meant to stump you (Python).   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jawbone in January 2014.

The hiring process with Jawbone was great. There was a bit of a delay in communication at times, but I was going through my rounds of phone interviews around the holidays, so just about everyone I was talking to had the same issue. Most of my communication went through a recruiter who was great, responsive, and easy to work with. I had 3 phone interviews before they offered to fly me out to the bay area, The first one was just with the recruiter and was the very simple "Hey, we're interested in you, here's what we do, are you interested?" type interviews. The second and third were 1 hour phone interviews with engineers. I was asked a few technical questions and did a bit of semi-challenging coding in a shared document. These interviews happened in pretty quick succession over two weeks or so, and they were generally prompt with letting me know next steps.

After the holidays past they called to let me know they wanted to fly me out to SF for on-site interviews. They were very easy to schedule with and set up all the plans. Very accommodating. The interview had a pretty standard format. Several consecutive ~1 hour interviews with different members of related technical teams. Each one talking about your experience and asking questions both about design and implementation involving white board coding.

All the interviewers were very friendly, helpful if you were stuck or confused about the question, easy to talk to and get along with, and it was a wonderful interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • In as much technical detail as possible, how would you design the infrastructure for a twitter-like site (at scale).   View Answer
    • Design and implement (preferably in python) a simple client and server application to upload/receive files, with the ability to resume interrupted files.   View Answer
    Very easy. I had done my homework on salaries from them and in the area in general for similar positions and they gave me the upper end of the range I specified (based on evaluated skill level). The benefits package is also great.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Jawbone.

I applied online, then received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone screen. The phone screen was straightforward and after that I had a screen with the hiring manager. Finally, I came in for a half-day of 1:1 interviews and got the offer the following week.
    The entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. In-depth conversations about my previous experience and discussions about Jawbone products.   Answer Question
    They asked what I wanted before giving the offer. The offer was what I asked for, so I didn't negotiate.

Product Manager, Up - Hardware Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jawbone.

I submitted an application by email in response to a job posting for a Product Manager that I saw on Glassdoor. I received an email response that same day from a recruiter there interested in setting up a call later on the same day. It was a bit hectic as I tried to schedule a time to talk over the next couple of days, but I appreciated the quick response. When we connected she asked me a few questions about my background, and when it quickly became clear that I didn't have the necessary background for the position she offered to check for other jobs that might be a better fit within the company. When I followed up later she said she hadn't turned up anything.

Interview Questions
    • Are you more interested in the role of a product manager or a product manager?   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jawbone.

Just had one phone interview, was pretty informal and very conversational.

Interview Questions
    • What did you like most/like least about your internships?   Answer Question