Jefferies & Company Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Interview

Business School Career Management. Two rounds of interviews. Tough technicals, solid interpersonal questions. Very collegial work environment. Lean deal teams, so junior bankers get a lot of exposure and tons of work to do.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NO negotiations for the summer offer as it is driven by the business school.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral. Interview process consisted of two phone screens and a Super Day. 1st round interview was very straightforward and interviewers were nice. Asked standard questions about the main valuation methodologies and walking through DCF. not too hard. 2nd round interviewers asked similar questions but with more of a markets focus. No accounting questions were asked. interviewers lacked energy.

Interview Questions

• you don't have the same pedigree as the other candidates. why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions

• What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   4 Answers

Negotiation

They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY) in September 2009.

Interview

Very thorough, 6-9 interviews. A mix of fit and analytical interviews. Mostly fit though.

Interview Questions

• How many golf balls could fit on a 737 jet?   4 Answers

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by an employee. First round phone interview then superday at their New York office. Two rounds of interviews with two Jefferies' employees. Heard back within a few days that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Basic technical questions asked (accounting, valuation methods). Some questions they asked merely to throw you off (What are your 5 greatest weaknesses, why don't you have a 4.0 GPA) so be prepared for that. Have a few stories where you showed teamwork, leadership, and being able to respond to senior management.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

this is alumni referral opportunity. I got email for 1st round interview with 2 alumnus.This is a very technical interview for someone from liberal arts college background. Not surprise about the result

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Had a phone call at 6am. Asked me a bunch of market questions. Asked to pitch a stock. Was brief and very cut throat... Got the impression that I was never really considered.

Interview Questions

• What is your opinion on what is going on over seas with the ECB?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Interview

know current events. market trends. mostly standard, discounted cash flow comps. know your own self assesment. strengths weakness, failures pretty standard interview. everyone was extremely nice. several super days before hiring process is made. overall great experiece

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company (San Francisco, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I got a foot in with the interview process because of previous employer knew a managing director at Jefferies. I first went in for an informational interview with that MD and left really wanting to work at Jefferies. In OCR interviews, I was interviewed by someone I had met at the info session, so I was a bit relieved. That relief turned into anxiety as this person (one out of two) started with rapid fire in-depth technical questions. As for fit, there was the usual tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume, and why this firm.

Interview Questions

• If a firm with a lower P/E buys a firm with a high P/E, is it accretive or dilutive?   1 Answer
    • How do you calculate the WACC?   1 Answer
    • What function does the (1-t) play in the calculation of the WACC?   1 Answer
    • What if FCF's are negative in your terminal year?   2 Answers
    • Walk me through a merger model.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jefferies & Company in March 2011.

Interview

It was relatively easy to set up a phone interview through e-mail. I am from a liberal arts college and based on past interview experiences at competing firms, they tend to be less technical and more about coursework. However, don't let that fool you, and continue to read career advice books. There's one by Wall Street Oasis on finance interviews. Preparation is key!

Interview Questions

• Accounting: If a company buys a tractor with cash, how do you express that in all of the financial statements? (affects on each, and how they tie together)... Since I could answer that, he then went further and asked What if the tractor was bought by issuing debt or equity   1 Answer
    • Valuation: Name the techniques and describe them. How would you rank them in terms of high to low valuation   Answer Question