Jefferies & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

3.1

Investment Banking Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Interview

Business School Career Management. Two rounds of interviews. Tough technicals, solid interpersonal questions. Very collegial work environment. Lean deal teams, so junior bankers get a lot of exposure and tons of work to do.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NO negotiations for the summer offer as it is driven by the business school.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by an employee. First round phone interview then superday at their New York office. Two rounds of interviews with two Jefferies' employees. Heard back within a few days that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Basic technical questions asked (accounting, valuation methods). Some questions they asked merely to throw you off (What are your 5 greatest weaknesses, why don't you have a 4.0 GPA) so be prepared for that. Have a few stories where you showed teamwork, leadership, and being able to respond to senior management.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

It was mainly done through the career center. I networked a lot using my alumni to get myself out there and make sure people knew me. The interview process was a technical heavy one, they really see if you understand what you are getting yourself into. Once the process finished, super day was that weekend and offers following immediately.

Interview Questions

• I cannot remember which ones specifically but a lot of it was accounting related and very detail oriented questions.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions

• What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   4 Answers

Negotiation

They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral. Interview process consisted of two phone screens and a Super Day. 1st round interview was very straightforward and interviewers were nice. Asked standard questions about the main valuation methodologies and walking through DCF. not too hard.

2nd round interviewers asked similar questions but with more of a markets focus. No accounting questions were asked. interviewers lacked energy.

Interview Questions

• you don't have the same pedigree as the other candidates. why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions

• A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Interview

know current events. market trends. mostly standard, discounted cash flow comps. know your own self assesment. strengths weakness, failures
    pretty standard interview. everyone was extremely nice.
    several super days before hiring process is made. overall great experiece

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2014.

Interview

Apllied thru on-campus recruiting and attended a networking session.
    1st round was over phone with one analysts, 2nd round also over phone with 2 analysts.
    Did not receive Super Day
    Both interviews were mix of behavioral and technical. Technicals in 1st round were straightforward, in 2nd round they got more complicated, asked about nuances.

Interview Questions

• Explain the Mid-Year convention in a DCF. Why do you subtract change in net working capital to get to Free Cash Flow   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

this is alumni referral opportunity. I got email for 1st round interview with 2 alumnus.This is a very technical interview for someone from liberal arts college background. Not surprise about the result

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Had a phone call at 6am. Asked me a bunch of market questions. Asked to pitch a stock. Was brief and very cut throat... Got the impression that I was never really considered.

Interview Questions

• What is your opinion on what is going on over seas with the ECB?   Answer Question