Jefferies & Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014
Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.2

Investment Banking Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Business School Career Management. Two rounds of interviews. Tough technicals, solid interpersonal questions. Very collegial work environment. Lean deal teams, so junior bankers get a lot of exposure and tons of work to do.

Interview Questions
    NO negotiations for the summer offer as it is driven by the business school.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Referred by an employee. First round phone interview then superday at their New York office. Two rounds of interviews with two Jefferies' employees. Heard back within a few days that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Basic technical questions asked (accounting, valuation methods). Some questions they asked merely to throw you off (What are your 5 greatest weaknesses, why don't you have a 4.0 GPA) so be prepared for that. Have a few stories where you showed teamwork, leadership, and being able to respond to senior management.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

It was mainly done through the career center. I networked a lot using my alumni to get myself out there and make sure people knew me. The interview process was a technical heavy one, they really see if you understand what you are getting yourself into. Once the process finished, super day was that weekend and offers following immediately.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot remember which ones specifically but a lot of it was accounting related and very detail oriented questions.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   Answer Question
    They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Applied through an employee referral. Interview process consisted of two phone screens and a Super Day. 1st round interview was very straightforward and interviewers were nice. Asked standard questions about the main valuation methodologies and walking through DCF. not too hard.

2nd round interviewers asked similar questions but with more of a markets focus. No accounting questions were asked. interviewers lacked energy.

Interview Questions
    • you don't have the same pedigree as the other candidates. why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions
    • A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in September 2011.

I got a foot in with the interview process because of previous employer knew a managing director at Jefferies. I first went in for an informational interview with that MD and left really wanting to work at Jefferies. In OCR interviews, I was interviewed by someone I had met at the info session, so I was a bit relieved. That relief turned into anxiety as this person (one out of two) started with rapid fire in-depth technical questions. As for fit, there was the usual tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume, and why this firm.

Interview Questions
    • If a firm with a lower P/E buys a firm with a high P/E, is it accretive or dilutive?   View Answer
    • How do you calculate the WACC?   View Answer
    • What function does the (1-t) play in the calculation of the WACC?   View Answer
    • What if FCF's are negative in your terminal year?   View Answers (2)
    • Walk me through a merger model.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in July 2011.

7/7/2011 Submitted an application for the Research Assistant position, and get a call back within an hour from a secretary. We schedule the interview for the next day

7/8/2011 Interview with the Senior VP goes well. He started off with some behavioral questions which went really well. He then asks me skill-based questions about the free cash flows and other valuation methods. I answer both questions correctly in detail, and feel like I left a positive impression. He tells me that he wants to put me through the next round.

7/11/2012 The secretary calls me to schedule a phone interview with a managing director.

7/12/2012 Interview with the managing director was supposed to start at 9am. I don't get a call from her in the first hour. I wait another hour but still don't get a call from her so I call the secretary, to let her know of the situation, and to ask whether the MD is aware of the interview. The secretary tells me the MD is aware, and sends MD an e-mail to check her whereabouts. I wait for another four hours, but slowly starting to come to a realization that I may not get the call the at all. I call the secretary again to check whether she received any reply from the MD, and she tells me no. After eight hours of sitting at my desk and blindly waiting for a phone interview, from someone who cannot be reached, I convince myself that this maybe the nature of the business, something I should get used to if I want to keep pursuing this career. But I also think to myself, “How can a person be so busy that she couldn’t take one minute of her time to let me know that she can’t make the appointment?”

7/22/2010 Ten days later, the secretary calls me to re-schedule the interview with the MD for 7/26/2010.

7/26/2010 I go into the office for the interview, get settled in, looking at the ticking clock to find myself sitting and waiting again. 30 minutes later, the MD struts into the meeting room. I finally get to meet this person who is well known for her accomplishments. Given her stature, I’m expecting some professionalism out of her so I think to myself that she may show me some regrets for blowing me off two weeks ago, maybe even for walking in 30 minutes late. To no avail, she does not apologize, nor even mention anything about the missed appointment. We go straight into the interview. After we spend the first 5 minutes on some behavioral questions, the MD goes straight for the skill questions. For the first question, she asks, “run through the cash flow statement." I tell her about the nature of cash flows, and how the income statement is comprised of both non-cash and cash items, whereas the cash flow statement only includes the cash items. Then I explain to her that there are three parts to the cash flow statement- CFO, CFI, CFF. She stops me right there, and asks me to explain the CFO. I tell her exactly how to get to CFO- CFO = NI + Non-cash charges + gains/loss +/– changes in working capital. She gives me a confused look. She then goes on to ask me “analyze the airlines industry?” As a person applying for an entry-level Research Assistant position, having no prior experience in the airline industry, let alone in equity research, I feel like she has just thrown the kitchen sink at me. I'm thinking to myself, "did she even read my resume?" I don’t know where to start from, and start to blindly throw darts around the question. I tell her about how oil prices could be an underlying driver of the profitability and demand. She tries to refute my response. We argue back and forth; and the discussion starts to become pointless. She tells me that I should have used the Porter’s Five Forces to make that analysis. I tell her that I am aware of the term and its principles but never had any experience to understand its usage. She tells me not to make any excuses. After a few minutes of useless exchange, we say bye to each other, and as I’m packing my stuff, the MD storms out of the room, out of the sight. She does not express any remorse for the missed appointment, nor show any courtesy to walk me out the door. We are all different, but all of us deserve at least some extent of respect, whether you are the star Director of Equity Research or the candidate who failed to get the job. Throughout this interview process, the MD clearly gave me the impression that I was not worthy of her time. She doesn't understand that value of time is equally precious to everyone. If she thinks that 30 minutes of her time with me was a waste, how does she think I feel about an entire month I spent for this interview process? I bet that she won’t treat her clients the same way she did to me.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in March 2011.

It was relatively easy to set up a phone interview through e-mail. I am from a liberal arts college and based on past interview experiences at competing firms, they tend to be less technical and more about coursework. However, don't let that fool you, and continue to read career advice books. There's one by Wall Street Oasis on finance interviews. Preparation is key!

Interview Questions
    • Accounting: If a company buys a tractor with cash, how do you express that in all of the financial statements? (affects on each, and how they tie together)... Since I could answer that, he then went further and asked

What if the tractor was bought by issuing debt or equity
        View Answer
    • Valuation: Name the techniques and describe them. How would you rank them in terms of high to low valuation   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in October 2011.

Went through on-campus recruiting at a target school. I applied here with some previous experience in finance and investment banking, so that may have been a plus. About half of the interview required basic knowledge of investment banking and its job functions. The other half was very technical, ranging from accounting to basic valuation.