Jefferies & Company

Average Difficulty
55 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – Got an interview through my campus recruiting system. It was for the Energy I-Banking division. There were two people from Jeffries conducting the interview. It wasn't bad at all, they mostly asked about previous job experiences and only a few technical questions.

Interview Question – The most difficult thing they asked was to discuss differences in the cost of capital that different types of companies in the energy industry face   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through an alum. Received a call from HR regarding a phone interview about 3 months later. Had a phone interview with an Associate in the group who asked about interests, resume, experience, and a few technical questions around merger analyses and valuation. Invited to Superday where I had 6 back to back 2:1 interviews with SVPs, VPs, Associates and Analysts. Very technical interview as it was for a lateral hire. Needed to understand valuation methodologies (DCF, LBO, comps, etc) inside out. Also made the questions very tough so that you would stumble and see how you would react under pressure.

Interview Question – very detailed questions around DCF. how to adjust present value factors including mid-period convention when transaction occurs as of a certain date.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interview questions varied but were pretty basic. Some that were asked included: what are the three financial statements, walk me through a DCF, explain how depreciation flows through the three financial statements, what valuation method would use for a mature company and what would you use for a newer (fewer than 5 years old), how do you calculate the risk free rate, what is enterprise value and explain the significance of each of it's components (esp minority interest).

Interview Question – Just prepare for the basics and you will be fine. Good luck.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received another offer from another bank.

Equities Sales & Trading Interview

Equities Sales & Trading
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2013.

Interview Details – On-campus first round with a VP - asked general fit questions, why equities S&T, tell me about the market, and asked for a stock I would pitch. Very friendly woman and not intimidating at all. Final round in NY office - 3 rounds with two employees each. All asked mostly fit questions, walk me through your resume, etc., and then my final round I was asked to pitch a stock for about 10 minutes or so.

Interview Question – How many non-white washing machines are in New York City? (More of a consulting question but they asked anyway - market sizing and thinking process)   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2009.

Interview Details – On-campus recruiting with Jefferies & Co was relatively painless compared to other investment banks that I had interviewed with.

Interview Question – Explain the major triggers of the current financial crisis, and it's impact on the financial markets.   Answer Question

Operational Summer Internship( Either FX Or EQ) Interview

Operational Summer Internship( Either FX Or EQ)
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in May 2013.

Interview Details – I got an email informing me with congratulations that I was selected for a 2nd round of phone interview for the Summer Internship. The phone interview then was conducted within 2 days. I picked the time of the following day. It's shorter than 30 minutes talk

resume questions such as

Tell me your work experience
Tell me a project you do
Tell me what you understand about operational roles? why you have tech skills but are willing to do operational work?
Why you choose Jefferies

Interview Question – Tell me a project you do at your college   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details – Got the phone call from HR and asked me to have a onsite interview. The office locates in San Francisco's Financial District. And the job position is about the equity research analyst for semi-conductor area. F2F with the two people, one is MD, another is VP. Both are very nice,

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected from your resume   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – Online application at my target school, followed by a first round interview at campus. Interviewer's didn't seem too interested and were busy in their phones. Questions were mainly fit, with a few basic technicals.

Interview Question – None really. Fairly straightforward (dull) interview   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Equity Sales Associate Interview

Equity Sales Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ months - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process took an extremely, extremely, extremely long time. Nearly eight months passed between first interview to final offer.

Negotiation Details – Their offer was market standard so there wasn't much need to negotiate.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2009.

Interview Details – On campus recruiting: first round on campus, then final rounds at Jefferies

Off campus recruiting: call, then final rounds

First rounds are 30-45 minutes, final rounds are 3-5 hours long and comprise of senior and junior bankers for technical and fit interviews.

It's important to do well on both technical and fit interviews, but if the most senior banker likes you, you're typically set provided there are no major hesitations from your other interviewers.

Questions are mostly related to accounting, valuation methodologies, deals in the industry, why IB, what does an analyst do, why would you be a good analyst, what are your major strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Interview Question – If D&A went up by x%, how would that affect the rest of the financial statements? Walk me through each line that would be affected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, more powerful if you have competitive offers