Jefferies & Company Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by an employee. First round phone interview then superday at their New York office. Two rounds of interviews with two Jefferies' employees. Heard back within a few days that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Basic technical questions asked (accounting, valuation methods). Some questions they asked merely to throw you off (What are your 5 greatest weaknesses, why don't you have a 4.0 GPA) so be prepared for that. Have a few stories where you showed teamwork, leadership, and being able to respond to senior management.   Answer Question

IB Analyst Interview

Interview

interviewed with 2 people - a VP and an associate. One about past transactions and the other quantitative questions. They have many transactions and they are proud of their deal flow.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview

Initial round of interviews was pleasant and succinct. Met with most members of the team in the course of a 3 hour afternoon session. Second round with management was also brief, but less enjoyable. In hindsight, it gave an excellent indication of the uninspired manner in which the overall company is run.

Vice President -- Risk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone, in-person interviews (3 rounds). Final round was meeting the seniors. Mediocre interviewers, so no need to worry too much. Most of the interviews were just talk-talk, nothing very serious.

Interview Questions

• Salary negotiation. They always try to low-ball you. You need to stay firm, and push back!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and then was contacted by an IB associate for an interview time. I was interviewed over the phone and the process took about 20 min. It was not very difficult and he was very pleasant over the phone. About a week later I was notified that they would not be moving on with my application.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Wasn't too hard. There were some technical questions, but they pretty much walked you through it and held your hand. It was more to see how you fit from a technical perspective. I met with all the senior bankers and never had a question that was like "how many marbles can fill an airplane, etc...". I thought it was more them trying to sell me than anything. But all in all, it wasn't too bad and was I left feeling very good about the job after I left. Got a call later that day that the job was mine.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

The guy who interviewed me forgot about the schedule and left me waiting for an hour... And then we finished the interview in a rush... Never got any update since then

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview

1st Round - Phone interview. Pitch me a stock, why S&T, basic fit questions.

2nd Round - Flew out to NY office, interviewed with 5 different employees. A couple 2 on 1 interviews and a 1 on 1 interview. Asked questions about resume, some fit questions, some technical questions.

Interview Questions

Interview

One interview. Interviewer seemed interested; thought I was doing well. Received communication from them once all the second-round candidates had been chose, which I thought was unfair; better for everybody to know all at once. Communication of rejection was made by someone other than the interviewer.

Interview Questions

Interview

Non-core process: 2 rounds of phone interviews, followed by a non-core superday about a couple weeks later. First round was mostly behavioral, very basic technicals. Second round was more technical and very resume-based. Superday was 3 20 minute interviews. Each interview had a specific purpose. First interview was resume based to see if you're smart. Second round is all technical. Third round is mostly behavioral, to get to know you better.