Jefferies & Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.2

IT Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2013.

Submit my resume on the school career website. Got the initial interview. I prepared lots of technical questions but did not get asked any of them. The first round was a behavioral one and steps through the resume. I didn't get into the second round, maybe its because I am not a CS major.

Equities Sales & Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2013.

On-campus first round with a VP - asked general fit questions, why equities S&T, tell me about the market, and asked for a stock I would pitch. Very friendly woman and not intimidating at all. Final round in NY office - 3 rounds with two employees each. All asked mostly fit questions, walk me through your resume, etc., and then my final round I was asked to pitch a stock for about 10 minutes or so.

Interview Questions
    • How many non-white washing machines are in New York City? (More of a consulting question but they asked anyway - market sizing and thinking process)   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Targetted at my school for on-campus interviews. Mainly fit. A couple walk me through 3 financial statements, tell me as much as you know about an LBO, How are the 3 statements linked, Talk to me about the different valuation methods.

Superday mainly fit couple technicals same 1s as listed above

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through an LBO and what function does it serve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2013.

Online application at my target school, followed by a first round interview at campus. Interviewer's didn't seem too interested and were busy in their phones. Questions were mainly fit, with a few basic technicals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Submitted resume through an alum. Received a call from HR regarding a phone interview about 3 months later. Had a phone interview with an Associate in the group who asked about interests, resume, experience, and a few technical questions around merger analyses and valuation. Invited to Superday where I had 6 back to back 2:1 interviews with SVPs, VPs, Associates and Analysts. Very technical interview as it was for a lateral hire. Needed to understand valuation methodologies (DCF, LBO, comps, etc) inside out. Also made the questions very tough so that you would stumble and see how you would react under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • very detailed questions around DCF. how to adjust present value factors including mid-period convention when transaction occurs as of a certain date.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

On-campus two back-to-back interviews. The first was behavioral and the second was technical. The behavioral was quite relaxed, questions ranging from talking through resume, how you allocated time during a week (remember to mention you spent a lot of time social) and macro economic questions. The technical one touched basic accounting, metrics, and DCF. Just make sure that you know all the basic things and can handle challenges under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • How is BS different from two other accounting statements?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2012.

great interviewers, really down to earth

offer letter and signed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2012.

The first round was a phone interview with a VP who's an alum from my school. It was standard, with questions like walk me through your resume, why banking, why Jefferies. The technical questions were pretty easy. I left a highly positive impression and got through to the second round, which was another phone interview with an associate. This one was short, I did pretty well on the regular fit questions but choked a bit on the technical question. Heard back 10 days later that I did not get past it because my technical background "was not as solid as some of my peers."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2012.

Interview questions varied but were pretty basic. Some that were asked included: what are the three financial statements, walk me through a DCF, explain how depreciation flows through the three financial statements, what valuation method would use for a mature company and what would you use for a newer (fewer than 5 years old), how do you calculate the risk free rate, what is enterprise value and explain the significance of each of it's components (esp minority interest).

Interview Questions
    • Just prepare for the basics and you will be fine. Good luck.   Answer Question

I received another offer from another bank.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in October 2011.

Difficult interview. Was overall very prepared for the IBD interviews, but I was asked some bizarre questions that had no relevance to the position I was interviewing for.