Jefferies & Company

Average Difficulty
56 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in September 2011.

Interview Details – I got a foot in with the interview process because of previous employer knew a managing director at Jefferies. I first went in for an informational interview with that MD and left really wanting to work at Jefferies. In OCR interviews, I was interviewed by someone I had met at the info session, so I was a bit relieved. That relief turned into anxiety as this person (one out of two) started with rapid fire in-depth technical questions. As for fit, there was the usual tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume, and why this firm.

Summer Internship - Fixed Income Sales & Trading Interview

Summer Internship - Fixed Income Sales & Trading
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in April 2011.

Interview Details – standard behavioral interview----
questions about interest and market awareness----be able to talk about the markets in-depth
as well as relevant current events....

more importantly, I describe the internship

just for everyone's reference in the future ---probably should try to stay away from jefferies for summer internships---at least for trading
in fixed income they told us they would be hiring 70 to 80% of the analysts for the program----then even on the last day of the internship they told us they would hire 6 or 7 of the 10 interns----

to make matters worse, not only did they take an extra 3 weeks then they were supposed to to give offer decisions----but they only hired 2 people----

furthermore, the program is extremely unstructured---theres no formal training---and the whole mentality among people there has nothing to do with giving an intern a positions---there's no mentorship program---the EM desk literally told us from the start that they only hire people with experience---the advice is to stay away coming from someone that had offers at multiple BB programs and ended up obv. not getting an offer....

ranting because i just saw a video on their new careers site with their head of FI saying how they are now focusing on building internally via hiring junior people----when that is a bunch of crap (at least for fixed income)

extremely unprofessional HR treatment

New York, NY

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in July 2011.

Interview Details – 2 Rounds

Rd. 1 with Global Head, VP, and Assoc.
Rd. 2 MD

High level questions with expected technicals. No brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• How do you value a bank compared to a widget company?   View Answer
  • Why JEF and why this particular group?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was extremely technical, valuation methods of a company, interrelations of balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cashflows. what information would this company look at to grow. how would you differentiate yourself why jefferies.

Interview Question – walk thru of a comprable valution of a company   Answer Question

Desk Quant Interview

Desk Quant
Stamford, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in July 2010.

Interview Details – It took more than a month for the second round.

Negotiation Details – I tried three times (decreasingly) but still did not move the needle.

Intern Interview

Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details – They were really nice, they asked very general questions and some technical questions (nothing too hard general stuff about M&A), I came from a non-finance background, they matched nterviewer(s) very carefully (in accordance to your background) - made me feel very comfortable and welcome.

Interview Question – Nothing that I can think of, very general questions   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details – First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Question – A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Summer Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview Details – Applied through an employee referral. Interview process consisted of two phone screens and a Super Day. 1st round interview was very straightforward and interviewers were nice. Asked standard questions about the main valuation methodologies and walking through DCF. not too hard.

2nd round interviewers asked similar questions but with more of a markets focus. No accounting questions were asked. interviewers lacked energy.

Interview Question – you don't have the same pedigree as the other candidates. why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview Details – Met three different people - one senior, one sales and one trader. Most conversations were pretty casual and the atmosphere was fairly relaxed. All in all, it took about one and a half hour. Good experience. The people seemed very nice and open, and took good time to explain their jobs and backgrounds.

Interview Question – How do you handle a client who is wrong, but think he is right?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details – Contacted me for a phone interview and spoke within two days. Spoke with a young analyst who had been with firm for just over a year. Standard questions, just going over different aspects of resume. Specifically asked about most important/hardest courses taken thus far and which parts of my leadership and community experience were most important

Interview Question – Pitch a stock.   Answer Question