Jefferies & Company Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

14 interviews

3.5

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Wasn't too hard. There were some technical questions, but they pretty much walked you through it and held your hand. It was more to see how you fit from a technical perspective. I met with all the senior bankers and never had a question that was like "how many marbles can fill an airplane, etc...". I thought it was more them trying to sell me than anything. But all in all, it wasn't too bad and was I left feeling very good about the job after I left. Got a call later that day that the job was mine.

Other Interview Reviews for Jefferies & Company

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in September 2013.

Got an interview through my campus recruiting system. It was for the Energy I-Banking division. There were two people from Jeffries conducting the interview. It wasn't bad at all, they mostly asked about previous job experiences and only a few technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult thing they asked was to discuss differences in the cost of capital that different types of companies in the energy industry face   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Submitted resume through an alum. Received a call from HR regarding a phone interview about 3 months later. Had a phone interview with an Associate in the group who asked about interests, resume, experience, and a few technical questions around merger analyses and valuation. Invited to Superday where I had 6 back to back 2:1 interviews with SVPs, VPs, Associates and Analysts. Very technical interview as it was for a lateral hire. Needed to understand valuation methodologies (DCF, LBO, comps, etc) inside out. Also made the questions very tough so that you would stumble and see how you would react under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • very detailed questions around DCF. how to adjust present value factors including mid-period convention when transaction occurs as of a certain date.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2012.

Interview questions varied but were pretty basic. Some that were asked included: what are the three financial statements, walk me through a DCF, explain how depreciation flows through the three financial statements, what valuation method would use for a mature company and what would you use for a newer (fewer than 5 years old), how do you calculate the risk free rate, what is enterprise value and explain the significance of each of it's components (esp minority interest).

Interview Questions
    • Just prepare for the basics and you will be fine. Good luck.   Answer Question

I received another offer from another bank.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2009.

On campus recruiting: first round on campus, then final rounds at Jefferies

Off campus recruiting: call, then final rounds

First rounds are 30-45 minutes, final rounds are 3-5 hours long and comprise of senior and junior bankers for technical and fit interviews.

It's important to do well on both technical and fit interviews, but if the most senior banker likes you, you're typically set provided there are no major hesitations from your other interviewers.

Questions are mostly related to accounting, valuation methodologies, deals in the industry, why IB, what does an analyst do, why would you be a good analyst, what are your major strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If D&A went up by x%, how would that affect the rest of the financial statements? Walk me through each line that would be affected.   Answer Question
    Yes, more powerful if you have competitive offers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in October 2011.

Difficult interview. Was overall very prepared for the IBD interviews, but I was asked some bizarre questions that had no relevance to the position I was interviewing for.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in September 2011.

I applied online from my college and was given a phone interview. I was relatively inexperienced in phone interviews and simply was too informal in my mind. They asked typical questions such as strengths and weaknesses, what is investment banking, why do I want to do investment banking.

Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2011.

One on one talking and questioning. Interviewer is nice and friendly.

Specific questions: What is a hard situation that you resolved.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in September 2011.

I got a foot in with the interview process because of previous employer knew a managing director at Jefferies. I first went in for an informational interview with that MD and left really wanting to work at Jefferies. In OCR interviews, I was interviewed by someone I had met at the info session, so I was a bit relieved. That relief turned into anxiety as this person (one out of two) started with rapid fire in-depth technical questions. As for fit, there was the usual tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume, and why this firm.

Interview Questions
    • If a firm with a lower P/E buys a firm with a high P/E, is it accretive or dilutive?   View Answer
    • How do you calculate the WACC?   View Answer
    • What function does the (1-t) play in the calculation of the WACC?   View Answer
    • What if FCF's are negative in your terminal year?   View Answers (2)
    • Walk me through a merger model.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in July 2011.

2 Rounds

Rd. 1 with Global Head, VP, and Assoc.
    Rd. 2 MD

High level questions with expected technicals. No brain teasers.

Interview Questions
    • How do you value a bank compared to a widget company?   View Answer
    • Why JEF and why this particular group?   View Answer
    N/A

Worked for Jefferies & Company? Contribute to the Community!