Jefferies & Company

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview Details – 1st Round - Phone interview. Pitch me a stock, why S&T, basic fit questions.

2nd Round - Flew out to NY office, interviewed with 5 different employees. A couple 2 on 1 interviews and a 1 on 1 interview. Asked questions about resume, some fit questions, some technical questions.

Interview Question – None, felt well prepared.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2009.

Interview Details – On-campus recruiting with Jefferies & Co was relatively painless compared to other investment banks that I had interviewed with.

Interview Question – Explain the major triggers of the current financial crisis, and it's impact on the financial markets.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – Online application at my target school, followed by a first round interview at campus. Interviewer's didn't seem too interested and were busy in their phones. Questions were mainly fit, with a few basic technicals.

Interview Question – None really. Fairly straightforward (dull) interview   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2012.

Interview Details – great interviewers, really down to earth

Interview Question – what would you describe jefferies as?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – offer letter and signed

Waltham, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – The first round was a phone interview with a VP who's an alum from my school. It was standard, with questions like walk me through your resume, why banking, why Jefferies. The technical questions were pretty easy. I left a highly positive impression and got through to the second round, which was another phone interview with an associate. This one was short, I did pretty well on the regular fit questions but choked a bit on the technical question. Heard back 10 days later that I did not get past it because my technical background "was not as solid as some of my peers."

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details – First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Question – A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details – Contacted me for a phone interview and spoke within two days. Spoke with a young analyst who had been with firm for just over a year. Standard questions, just going over different aspects of resume. Specifically asked about most important/hardest courses taken thus far and which parts of my leadership and community experience were most important

Interview Question – Pitch a stock.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Two 40mins interviews. The first one was technical such as valuation model, what companies do with extra cash, something about special dividends. The second was motivational, just normal behavioral questions, nothing special. Then we were directed to a room to complete numerical and verbal reasoning tests which were exactly the same kind of questions as other online tests.

Interview Question – How are you going to invest with 100 million dollars?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2011.

Interview Details – Difficult interview. Started out with standard tell me about yourself question, and then moved straight to dcf analysis and asked about recent m&a deals. Valuation question was fairly in depth as well. Asked about running through my resume too. Also, had two people on the line interviewing.

Interview Question – What were some multiples of a recent m&a deal?   Answer Question

Worked for Jefferies & Company? Contribute to the Community!