Jefferies & Company

Updated Feb 13, 2015
Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Applied Online, persisted in calling HR, received phone interview, nailed phone interview,attended Superday, performed successfully...great overall experience. Very well-run on their end from start to finish. Format for interviews in-person is 2 on 1s and also a 1 on 1...be prepared to react well under pressure. Must be confident and have a good hold on your story in order to succeed.

Interview Questions
  • Basic technical questions involving understanding of financial Statements (involving Capex and depreciation and how it flows through each statement), stock pitch, macroeconomic questions, and a specific stock I would short and why. Also very important to understand why you want to work at Jefferies in particular as it is unique in comparison to many of the BB's on the street. Key advice is to mention the relatively flat structure ( Jefferies doesn't harbor arrogance as much as Goldman, JP, Morgan Stanley etc...but don't explicitly take knocks at these competitors, because many of your interviewers probably worked there! Good point to mention is that the company manages under 50 billion in assets and therefore able to operate independently of the government. Unlike many of the 'too-big to fail banks' Jefferies needs to stand on its own two feet.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Jefferies & Company

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

1st Round - Phone interview. Pitch me a stock, why S&T, basic fit questions.

2nd Round - Flew out to NY office, interviewed with 5 different employees. A couple 2 on 1 interviews and a 1 on 1 interview. Asked questions about resume, some fit questions, some technical questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

It was mainly done through the career center. I networked a lot using my alumni to get myself out there and make sure people knew me. The interview process was a technical heavy one, they really see if you understand what you are getting yourself into. Once the process finished, super day was that weekend and offers following immediately.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot remember which ones specifically but a lot of it was accounting related and very detail oriented questions.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

know current events. market trends. mostly standard, discounted cash flow comps. know your own self assesment. strengths weakness, failures
    pretty standard interview. everyone was extremely nice.
    several super days before hiring process is made. overall great experiece

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2013.

Online application at my target school, followed by a first round interview at campus. Interviewer's didn't seem too interested and were busy in their phones. Questions were mainly fit, with a few basic technicals.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2012.

great interviewers, really down to earth

offer letter and signed

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2012.

The first round was a phone interview with a VP who's an alum from my school. It was standard, with questions like walk me through your resume, why banking, why Jefferies. The technical questions were pretty easy. I left a highly positive impression and got through to the second round, which was another phone interview with an associate. This one was short, I did pretty well on the regular fit questions but choked a bit on the technical question. Heard back 10 days later that I did not get past it because my technical background "was not as solid as some of my peers."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2009.

On-campus recruiting with Jefferies & Co was relatively painless compared to other investment banks that I had interviewed with.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the major triggers of the current financial crisis, and it's impact on the financial markets.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had an assessment center for an Investment Banking summer analyst position.
    It was a bad experience. They kept us waiting for 1 hour and a half before the interviews even started and then they kept us for like another hour or more between interviews and Numerical/verbal tests.
    The HR woman was kinda rude. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend people to work there. There is just no way that they would treat you any better once you get the offer.

Summer Analyst Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions
    • A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer