Jellyvision Lab Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.2

Content Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab (Chicago, IL).

Interview

After applying for the position through their online portal, I was contacted about a week later to set up a phone interview. Many of the questions revolved around being organized.

A few days later I had a very short call with another employee to make sure that the salary range would be acceptable.

After this I was asked to complete an "audition": a set of job-relevant tasks which took about 5 hours to finish. A week after that I was asked to schedule an in-person visit at their Chicago office.

The in-person visit included another skills test and three group interviews. The next week I was informed that the company would not be making an offer.

At each step the company representatives were friendly and responsive, but the time investment required was far more than other companies have asked for similar positions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, followed by hiring manager screen, followed by "audition" assignment and many people checking out my LinkedIn profile without sending a message. I never met anyone face-to-face, which was unusual, so also never had the opportunity to present ideas in-person.

Disappointed with the lack of personal follow-up from either the hiring manager or recruiter after spending quality time on their assignment and seemingly "connecting" on prior interviews. I suppose this company is used to leaning on cute, canned messages for communication, but I found the auto consolation email and no personal outreach rather demeaning.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to take less pay than what you've earned in your previous positions?   Answer Question

Implementation Expert (ALEX) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I completed the phone interview followed by the "audition." The phone interview was with the VP and questions were pretty standard. It was less than 30 minutes and the interviewer was very nice and excited. However, it does feel a little like they are reading through a list of questions and are not reacting to your responses. The interviewer also brought up several other open opportunities which was confusing as it wasn't clear if she was trying to push me to apply for another role or not.

A couple hours after my phone interview, I received the "audition", which was a 2 part assignment that take a couple hours to complete (depending on your experience). I was told I wasn't moving forward and when I asked for the reason they said that my completed assignment had too much information and was too detailed, which in my opinion is not a reason someone should not move forward.

My advice if you get to the "audition" stage is to make sure you are concise with your responses. Even though it was clear that I worked very hard on the audition and was completely capable of doing the job, the fact that I included too much information was the reason I didn't move forward.

Interview Questions

• Describe a way in which you made a process or part of your job more efficient.   1 Answer
    • What are your salary expectations?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation in which your client asks for something that needs to be completed urgently and was not part of the original scope?   Answer Question
    • What would your coworkers say you need to improve on?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab in May 2015.

Interview

The process is detailed on their website and has several steps, I was contacted to schedule an initial phone screening just a few days after applying on their website. The phone screen was relatively brief and pretty standard for first step phone screens. I received an e-mail rejection maybe 2 days later.

Interesting enough they didn't really ask why I would choose to work with them, why I'm leaving my current role or any "tell us about a time..." questions. The whole interview seemed more focused on trying to gauge your personality.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab in May 2015.

Interview

Took a little over a month from when I first applied. I had a phone interview, followed by a check to make sure the salary I wanted matched what they were willing to give, followed by the audition. I thought I did well on the audition, but a day after turning it in, I was released from the applicant pool with no feedback.

Overall, the people were friendly.

Interview Questions

• Q: What do you find most exciting about this position?

Q: What would you find most challenging about this job?

Answer Question

Talent Scout Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab.

Interview

I applied online and received an email a few days later for a phone interview. The woman I spoke with surprised me quite a bit given what I had heard about the company. I was asked very traditional interview questions, which was definitely not what I was expecting from a company that prides itself on being exciting and different. She also did not make me feel at ease, sometimes giving me no response to one of my answers and launching into her next question right away. Definitely was not expecting to receive an offer after that phone call. I was disappointed because of how different the HR rep was from what I had heard about the company.

Director of Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The process was pretty lengthy.
    It started with an online application with a resume and a cover letter. They set a great deal of importance on the cover letter.

Next, there was a call from Matt, one of their talent scouts. Matt was my contact for the rest of the process.

Next was an in-office meeting with some managers (the ones I'd work directly with).

Next was a visit with 3 groups of people from various lines of business.

After that, I was asked to do what Jellyvision call an audition. Essentially, it involved preparing a couple of case studies addressing some management and technical topics. The next trip to the Jellyvision office involved presenting the case studies and then have 3 more panel interviews.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to someone requesting a $20k pay raise?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was interesting. The talent scout acted as an intermediary and we had a lengthy conversation where I laid out what I was looking for. Matt was frank with what he thought would be offered and took my responses on board.

ALEX Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred to the position by a family member and friend. The HR team set up a quick initial call to learn more about my background before having me submit my resume and cover letter formally (they heavily emphasis the cover letter). A couple days later I heard back from the HR Recruiter that the hiring manager wanted to set up another call. We spoke for about an hour about my background and experience and she said they would be in touch. I followed up with the HR recruiter and waited a week. The recruiter came back saying that they had decided to go with another candidate but they strongly encouraged me to apply for another position which had just opened. I submitted my resume and updated cover letter for the position within 48-hrs of the posting and followed up with the HR recruiter again. This time I did not receive any response from anyone at Jellyvision for 22 days before receiving a short email that they'd decided to go another direction.

Interactive Media Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Compared to what I've read from other interviewees at Jellyvision, the process went quickly for me. Within 3 weeks' time, I did the following:

*Applied online
    *Participated in a 30-minute phone interview w/ HR and Team Lead
    *Submitted an audition
    *Participated in a 1.5-hour on-site logic test
    *Participated in a 2-hour on-site interview, consisting of 1-3 people in 4, 30-minute chunks of time
    *Was Offered position

While the process is a lot compared to most companies' hiring practices, it is not unfamiliar if you've applied to other media companies (e.g. a game developer). In addition, my HR contact was excellent. He was always communicative and clear about what to expect and responded promptly to my questions. As of writing this, I've not yet begun my work there, but my instinct is that if you exhibit the applicable skills and personality type, you will enjoy this process as much as I did.

Interview Questions

• The two questions that I felt were most engaging were:

*How would approach creating audio for a project without any direction whatsoever?

*What do you want to be when you grow up?

Answer Question

Content Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Jellyvision Lab (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, 2nd quick phone interview to establish salary requirements, audition with a variety of tasks, in-person software test followed by 2 sets of interviews, a second round of interviews. Everyone was very nice throughout the entire process, and HR did a decent job keeping me updated on next steps. Following the second interview there was a background check. No drug test.

Interview Questions

• What are three words your coworkers would use to describe you?   Answer Question