Jewel-Osco

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

1.8

Cashier Interview

Applied online and interviewed over the phone. I'm not sure if the standard is to interview over the phone. I know they were I'm a rush to fill the position.

Didn't negotiate

Store Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Itasca, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jewel-Osco.

Initially contacted via the phone. I did two 1:1 interviews and one behavioral interview. The process took 3 weeks. During the process all information was provided via documentation for further inspection. Career growth was placed on the table to demonstrate job growth. Interviews were roughly 45-60 minutes long and around 20-30 behavioral question.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very basic and not difficult. Several if this happens what would you do. Also several questions pertaining to your personality and decision making process.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating. Either you accept the terms or you do not get the job.

Front End Service Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jewel-Osco in October 2014.

Applied online and got called for an interview 4 days later and went into the interview. The interview was fairly easy got the drug test right after that and waited 3 days for another call to report to orientation the next day.

Interview Questions
    • You are the only worker on sight and a customer approaches you about a product that is out of code, what do you do?   View Answer
    Entry level job so basically got a few cents above minimum wage $8.35

Bagged Interview

Apply online then you can call human resources to see if they got your application then just wait and see if you get called and then go in for a interview.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jewel-Osco in September 2014.

Very basic run-of-the-mill questions such as what are your strengths and weaknesses and why was I interested in the company and position. They provided me with a brochure about the position prior to the interview and it stated that you start off at $38,000/year. What it didn't state, however, and what the interviewer told me was that 48 hours was the standard workweek and overtime is only ever paid after that 48 hours. The brochure also didn't mention how it was highly likely that you would be transferred to where they want you more than once without your approval and probably without much of a heads-up, most likely requiring a personal vehicle due to the late nights, early mornings, weekends and probable out-of-the-city trips that would be made. I live in Chicago and although public transportation is convenient, any suburban or beyond areas would not be nearly as easily accessible.

Overall, whether they offer me the position or not, I've decided I'm not taking it. Assuming they transfer me, I'd either have to quit/be fired (for not being able to get to work) or buy a vehicle before I could reasonably afford one, which would set me further back financially than if I were to just work elsewhere.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you dealt with someone on your team who wasn't pulling their weight.   Answer Question

Meat Clerk Interview

I did have an advantage because i knew a manger very well but still went through the interview process. they asked me things like what I like to do, Why should they hire me, also they put me through differ

Front End Service Clerk/Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jewel-Osco.

The entire process was trivial. Required no preparation. Went into an interview and the interviewer asked me a bunch of questions that had nothing to do with the job itself. I was given the offer as I walked out.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you be?"   View Answer
    There was none. They told me what I'd be paid and gave no room for talk.

Front End Service Clerk/Cashier Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jewel-Osco.

I interviewed at a job fair. The woman who interviewed me was very nice. We had an actual conversation while also getting the interview completed. (Side note: It seemed like she was grading my answers to her questions as red, yellow, or green.) I got a call two weeks after the interview to schedule a drug test, but I missed the call because I was on vacation. I called back a week later and they were very understanding. I had to take a drug test (this gross swab thing that looked kind of like a pregnancy test that you had to swirl around in your mouth). I also had to do a background check.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you noticed there was expired bread on the shelf?   View Answer
    • What is "good customer service?"   View Answer
    • Would you be willing to stay late if asked?   View Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer
    Nothing to negotiate.

Deli Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jewel-Osco.

I just applied online. A week or 2 later they called me in for an interview. The interview was very easy just asking about a few things off my resume and then a few situational customer service questions. One question was how would you rate your service on a 1-10 scale and why? Starting wage is minimum wage.

Store Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Itasca, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jewel-Osco in June 2014.

The process took about an hour. Just be able to elaborate on your experiences. Simple questions. Did not seem as if there was opportunity to move up. Osco has a smaller team that consists of cosmetics, liquor, and pharmacy. Jewel is the produce, deli, bakery, etc. The interviewer was very informative. The Osco rotation process is under 2 years and the Jewel part is over 2 years. If hired, you would be working 50 hours a week as a union employee.