Jimmy John's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Jimmy John's in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interviews were conducted in groups, which was kind of awkward. The owner eliminated one guy immediately for having a slightly visible tattoo on his arm, despite not having said anything about it before the interview. He wound up asking about my catering experience and had me plan out an entire catering menu for a party he was throwing. I spent several hours over the next two days planning an entire party, pricing it out, tracking down coos and servers to assist with the event and nearly renting out equipment. When I submitted my menu, he loved it. The next day he told me the party was cancelled so I had to call the cooks and servers and tell them their was no gig anymore. It was embarrassing.

Interview Question – The catering thing was definitely unexpected and weird.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Everything was cut and dry.

Very Easy Interview

In Shop Interview

In Shop

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Jimmy John's.

Interview Details – Walked in and dropped off an application, was greeted by a friendly young manager. He asked me if I'd like an interview now. I said yes, of course! It was incredibly straightforward, the only real question he had beyond scheduling was "What kind of animal would you be if you could?"

Interview Question – None of it was difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

In-shop/Driver Interview

In-shop/Driver
Grandville, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jimmy John's in May 2012.

Interview Details – When applying be sure to fill out the ENTIRE application. The best way to get noticed is to show up when the restaurant is not busy, usually before 11am or after 2pm (varies depending on the location you visit). Make sure to ask for the General Manager and either hand your application to that person, and get their name and contact info if possible. Dress nicely, like you actually want the Job. There is a lot of paperwork to fill out. Many places will require a motor vehicle history report from your DMV, so if you have a lengthy list of tickets, moving violations, etc, you may have a difficult time getting a driving position. If you do get hired, you will eventually have to take a test to prove you have the menu memorized. I've heard some locations use this test as a condition of your employment.

Interview Question – I don't remember any super difficult interview questions.   Answer Question

Business Coach Interview

Business Coach
Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Jimmy John's.

Interview Details – A couple of phone interviews then you have to pay your way to their offices in Champaign no matter where you live to maybe get the job...A real company would pay to get you there if they really wanted you to work for them. That's cheap and should have caused an alarm to go off in my head about what to expect later.

Interview Question – You have 30 minutes to get to this address for a drug test   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it. Year one is this much.

In Shop/Driver Interview

In Shop/Driver
Des Moines, IA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Jimmy John's in June 2011.

Interview Details – Well, learning the sandwiches and that test was the most important thing. I impressed them and was a top candidate as I scored 100%, if you do that, you have a great chance to get hired, it shows you care, but it's also extremely important because they expect you to be on your game. They are in a hurry and often interview fast but seriously, they are expected to do a lot as managers and assistant managers, so you need to understand that you need to be interested in them, and that it isn't as if they are NOT interested in you, its just that they see a lot of people who don't have the qualities it takes to be a team member, so they really need to sort that out. Look them in the eyes and tell them you are going to be a hustler that always shows up on time, knows how to take direction, and is willing to work at a moments notice when emergency called in. Those things should also be true and looking them in the eye will tell them that. Don't be intimidated if they are looking you in the eyes, because thats what they need to find out, if they can trust you... they don't want to waste all the time in the world. Take time on your application, take time to write it properly and legibly. BE PRESENTABLE, get a haircut, even if they don't have a haircut. They're busy ! They aren't brushing you off you have to wait or you meet with a different person first. Go through the channels, be patient, come back when they say to come back. It doesn't all go perfect. Do as much online research beforehand so that they don't have to teach you the world about Jimmy Johns. Know how Jimmy started. Know why they need you to do things fast and the Jimmy Way. Know that its about cost control and high standards and ALWAYS being busy. You'll succeed at the interview. Focus over jokes and friendships. That's cool to be that way, but they are very serious about costs and they need you to be on an efficient team. You need to be a team player. You get more hours when you work hard, you aren't gonna get the schedule you want at the interview. Just go with it and mention if you have obvious conflicts, but your focus, is making the team successful. Think of how you have made a team successful in the past. Tell how your attitude has turned around a tough situation. How your ideas have helped a bad situation in another restaurant. If you don't have experience, stress that it is your desire that makes you a good candidate, and you can't teach punctuality, commitment to the team, work ethic, and a willingness to make coming in last minute ... early ... or staying late. So, whether someone has more experience could only mean that they've been taught wrong or been taught and chosen to do things their own way. You want to be taught the right way, and stick with that. And that's how you've done every other job successfully. Then make sure you do that. Transportation to work, have that covered. Why Jimmy Johns? Have an answer for that that makes sense. Respect their corporate franchise structure, it is interesting how it works. Learn about it. Compliment the consistency of the product, and how you can get a number 15 totally tuna in Iowa and in New York and it tastes the same, fresh and delicious ! You admire that. There is something special about seeing a team succeed, and although there are times when it seems upper management positions are far away, you see and understand that it takes only patience and effort, and the doors open up quicker than one imagines if the right things are done. But first things first, focus on the fundamentals and you understand that the floors being mopped and the walls being scrubbed are just as important to a customer coming back, as a decent sandwich. Because it could be to some customers. Notice to the hiring manager, that some customers are just having a bad day, and you kill them with kindness.... then follow through with that if hired. Notice to the manager hiring, that sometimes supervisors are stressed during rushes and have to yell, not because they are mad, but because they are frustrated due to a chain of events and its nothing personal. That you wouldn't take it personal, its business. If something like that ever happened, a Jimmy Johns manager would later come explain that to you anyway.

Interview Question – I think a difficult question is, "Why do you want to work here." Because they ask it ... like ... "What you just woke up one day and wanted this job? Look at me, I'm dead tired, I worked all week, have little sleep, everyone was late, I'm covered in flour and sweat, I look like hell, everyone's mad at me and my pay s%$ks." Why would you want to come here? After all that, you need to be prepared with a labor of love answer. Look, hard work is nothing new to me. I've heard sir/madam, and correct me if I'm wrong, that if I work here ... I get rewarded. I've worked in the corporate world where everyone is scheming behind peoples' backs to get ahead ... and they are miserable. I have my costs where they need to be that the amount I will be getting paid if hired meets my needs, with no frills (important), and I love serving customers because it makes them happy. Yeah, not everyone, but a lot of people love food so they don't walk in here mad. I've worked in restaurants, and the products aren't as fresh as what you have here, the ham has nitrates in it for their club sandwiches and its a 4 star restaurant, what's that about? Jimmy John's has these policies (that you read online), and that's cool. I don't care about that corporate crap anymore, I wanna come in, do my job and THAT DAY ... is in the books. I don't have to carry around the weight of the next day on my mind, EVERY DAY is a new day, a new challenge. I heard this store has a high volume (or see what accolades that store has or the manager has), that's where I want to be. Frankly, I want a place to dig in and sink my teeth into ... be a part of a team and start reaching the goals we have for weekly profits and kick other stores butt.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At the time they were paying everyone the same, later I got a raise quickly.

In Shop Interview

In Shop

Interviewed at Jimmy John's

Interview Details – Submitted an application and sat down with a manager

Interview Question – why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Job Interview

Job
Smithfield, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Jimmy John's in January 2011.

Interview Details – they said I got the job when they saw my face. I reckon I am blessed

Interview Question – If we hire you how will you better our company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Will you work for us

Very Easy Interview

Person In Charge Interview

Person In Charge

I applied in-person and interviewed at Jimmy John's.

Interview Details – Applied in-shop, was interviewed on the spot. District manager sat me down in the back and asked what I could bring to the Jimmy John's team and if I was good under pressure.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Told I was getting minimum wage.

Cashier, Sandwich Maker Interview

Cashier, Sandwich Maker
Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jimmy John's in June 2011.

Interview Details – I literally got the job because I knew someone working there (he my roommate at the time). If you want a job at Jimmy John's getting them to vouch for you is the key. My manager said my friend spoke highly of me and that he trusted his judgement. However, this is not everyone's situation and I also know my manager said his hiring decisions hinges on punctuality. If gets the vibe you are the time of person to be late or even miss shifts, me makes a mental note not to hire you, no matter how well you look on paper.

Interview Question – I was asked to name, "the three best traits in an employee" and then a follow-up inquiry of what are "the three worst traits in me?"   Answer Question

In Shop Associate Interview

In Shop Associate
West Freehold, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Jimmy John's in June 2013.

Interview Details – Really easy and straightforward. Basically asked me on the spot where I have worked and how much experience I have with customer service.

Interview Question – You have to take a menu test, and this happens multiple times   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't like the hours I was offered, it was a lot less than I said I wanted