Jive Software

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Jive Software in March 2014.

Interview Details – One or two phone interviews with a manager and hiring manager. Understand what position you're applying for and be ready to answer questions about your past experience, especially as applies.
In the face to face interview, the team members sit down with the candidate and do pair programming projects. Getting a coding project completed in an interview is less important than showing the interviewers that you know how to code. Some teams are distributed, so you may have to do some interviews over skype.

Interview Question – Write a LRU cache implementation. This is a pair programming exercise, where the intention is to see how well the candidate can actually write code. The difficulty is that you're very likely to run out of time; focus on doing things right and don't worry as much about running out of time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a fair salary increase from my previous job without much effort. I put forward a number with some reasoning, they said ok.

Director, Customer Marketing Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Jive Software.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews with 5-6 people each round.

Senior Business Operations Analyst Interview

Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Jive Software in January 2014.

Interview Details – The informational meeting and subsequent interview sessions were simple to arrange (the HR team coordinated the discussions without a problem). Once in the office, the interviewers were prepared. The flow seemed more conversational and less of a Q&A (or a session stacked with a pile of behavioral questions). Post interview, the team followed-up with me and kept me informed of how the process was going.

Interview Question – How would you describe your approach to project management?   Answer Question

AR Manager Interview

Portland, OR

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jive Software in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted for an initial interview with the hiring manager. Once I had this interview, I was contacted by HR for an additional interview with various managers in the Accounting/Finance area. After the interview, HR kept in contact and was able to answer any questions I had.

Interview Question – Tell us something about one of your weaknesses in related this to this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Consider all of your options upfront; planned vacations, start date, negotiated salary and a signing bonus.

Marketing Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Jive Software in February 2014.

Interview Details – I found this position on Glassdoor and applied online. I was contacted within a couple days by the hiring manager. We had about a 45 minute phone interview and decided that I would come in for in-person interviews. Before I went in, I did about a 45 minute Google hangout with the recruiter who asked about my experience, reason for leaving my current position, why Jive and that position, and a few other behavioral based questions.

For the in-office interviews which lasted an hour and a half, I met with the hiring manager again and then member of the team I'd be working with (6 people) who fired questions at me in a group style. Questions were heavily focused on why I was interested in working for Jive, things I would do (how I'd spend a marketing budget, what my strategy would be, what ideas/improvements I had for the product, how much I knew about the task management space and competitors, etc). Afterwards, I was told by the recruiter (who I debriefed with) that I would be contacted in the next few days if I made it to the final round (they emailed me the next day).

The final round consisted of 3 video conferences, about 30 minutes each, with a Director of cross-functional department, the VP of division, CMO, and head of HR. Everyone was extremely nice and, again, wanted to hear about my experience, why Jive, and how I would approach the position should I be hired. I was also asked to walk them through some examples of how I had handled challenges/situations/business cases in the past.

I received a verbal and written offer a couple days later. Background check was run and references were contacted following. Everything from start to finish took a little over a month.

Overall, it was a very positive experience. While the interview process and amount of people I talked to was extensive, I actually think it was good because by the time I was done, I felt like I had a really good understanding of what was expected from me in the position, what kind of people I'd be working with, and the vision and culture of the company. Also, that it was the right fit. HR did a great job about keeping me in the loop and were prompt and transparent which was really appreciated.

Interview Question – What is one thing you can tell me about yourself that I can't get from your resume?
What challenges do you see yourself having with this position?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was very fair/what I was hoping for, so I did not go into further negotiations.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Jive Software in February 2014.

Interview Details – Reached out over their website, got a call the next day for phone screen. End of week had completed my interview. Passed all interviews, then had a cold call test - passed.

Received offer 2 days later, process was smooth and quick.

Interview Question – What do you bring to Jive that would benefit our current team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very smooth, open, and honest - they answered any and all questions I had (upward progression, pay, etc.) and dud not beat around the bushes nor make any promises.

Something all candidates should look for in a prospective employer, and they passed with shining colors.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Jive Software in February 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was great. It was relaxed, and I was interviewed by soon-to-be peers. The recruiter did a great job at helping find a role in the company that would be a good fit. Both hiring managers made me feel like they were interested in me and my skill, foremost.

Interview Question – I had a mention on reasons for leaving a previous job. In hind-sight, i could have excluded some of the details, because it was difficult to recall or explain. That was all on me though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward. The offer was an improvement to my last, and I was ready for the change by the time it was go time.

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jive Software in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was very impressed with how full-bodied the interview was. I spoke with about six people and the interview cover many different areas -- technical, behavioral, company fit, etc. They seemed very candid about the environment (the good and the bad) and this made me even more comfortable taking the job in the end.

Interview Question – Since I was applying for a writing position that included some software development skills, they asked me to write a short Java class with some specific characteristics. I was a little bit rusty with some of the particular coding details, but they seemed understanding.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They had a specific recruiting person handling the whole interview/hiring process and he was very patient with my wealth of questions... both by email and phone. I liked how they did this part of the process...

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jive Software in July 2013.

Interview Details – Referred in via a friend. Recruiter contacted me, and explained the process, which began with a "take-home" programming test. I had 24 hours to fulfill the requirements of the test; the recruiter and I agreed upon a time for him to send me the question and start the clock.

After the test, I was flown out to the office for an interview. I met with three engineers on the team for 30-45 minutes each, as well as with the hiring manager, and then had lunch with the team.

Interview questions were mostly technical in nature and related to the specifics of the position, as well as getting my opinion of working in a distributed team (the team was spread out across multiple offices).

They were remarkably fast at turning things around; the offer was extended the following business day.

Interview Question – In-depth questions on memory management.   Answer Question

Software Support Engineer Interview

Software Support Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jive Software in January 2014.

Interview Details – There were two phone screening sessions, the first with HR and the second with my hiring manager. Each conversation was upbeat and positive, I found that HR recruiting was very active in keeping me involved, and keeping me from moving out of the Jive focus as I was applying and interviewing with other companies at the time. My eventual hiring manager was knowledgeable and friendly in the phone call.

I was brought in for a series of interviews, three hours in total, and spoke with six individuals in total. The interviewers were all very professional and knowledgeable, and I was able to quickly communicate and interact with the team.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Jive Software? Contribute to the Community!

Jive Software Videos

Jive Software – Why Work for Us?

JOIN THE TEAM Jive isn’t like most companies. We’re serious about changing the world. Making a difference. And having a lot of fun in the process. If you just want a job, Jive is not for you. But if you want your next… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jive Software interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by Jive Software employees and interview candidates.