Jive Software Interview Questions

3.2

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Jive Software in March 2015.

I received my first call in a pretty timely fashion, we had a great discussion on the job responsibilities and expectations. Went over the basic information, skills, experience, expectations. A few days later I received an email asking for a second phone interview. I accepted and we had it a few days later.
    This was with one of the members of management over the department that I applied for. He went into more detail to what it was and how it worked. By this time I had already done additional research on the company and had experimented with their software a bit and I asked him to get into more detail based off of things that I had seen.

The manager asked me the same set of questions that the first person did. He said that it was a pleasure to talk to me.

1-2 weeks later I get an email asking for me to come into their office for a third interview. Looking at the interview setup through JobVite This interview consisted of 10 people and was almost 5 hours in Length.

I arrived on site 10 minutes early, it was commented that I was early. most people aren't. I was criticized for being overdressed for the interview. I came in a Business attire shirt and tie, and was told that it was too much. I was always told you need to put your best foot forward, regardless.

It was split into groups. The first was a group of 2, We had a lovely discussion, and they again asked me the same questions that the first two interviews asked. Then it was The manager that I already spoke with on the phone, he again repeated the exact same questions he asked me on the phone. The following interview was the other manager from the department by himself. Everyone else that followed was split into groups of two. It was 6 separate interviews in almost 5 hours.

On interview Number 5, one person got a little confrontational. I was asked for an opinion between two different commands in Linux that do exactly the same thing, I gave them my preference. They went into defensive mode as if I had just attacked them. When they said I was wrong, I asked why, all I got for a response was "It just is." I again asked why, and I again got "It just is". I told them to give me a use case to why it's a superior command to use and I'll change how I do things. They said nothing at that point. The other person in the room just sat there with a somewhat surprised look on their face. Wither this was planned to see how I would handle confrontation, or if it was just this persons personality I have no idea. but it put a sour taste in my mouth for the company.

Everyone, every group, every person asked me the exact same 12 questions, The follow up questions had very very few differences. So over the course of the entire experience, it totaled almost 9 hours in interviews, and I got asked the same dozen question no less than 8 times. There appears to be almost no intercommunication at all.

I asked why they have it slotted for this many hours and the response I got was "This just works better for the interviewees. " My personal experience was the reverse could not have been more true. It was an exhausting and frustrating experience. I understand that they don't want their time wasted but they don't seem to value the time of the people they are interviewing either.

I was criticized for being overdressed for the position. I came in a shirt and tie, and was told that it was too much.

The people who I talked to seemed to enjoy their job. (Short of the one person) But this process was unnecessarily lengthy. The people who do interviews need to share information as to not make people repeat answers to the same 12 questions multiple times.

When I asked how long it would be before I could expect a response. I was told that they are moving quickly. so probably 2-3 weeks from that day. It had already been 3 weeks, I don't know if they are mis-informed, or didn't realize what phase of interviews they were doing, because 6 weeks. is not a "Quick process" .

I would have taken the offer if I had received one. But honestly, I'm kind of relieved that I wasn't offered. Their inefficiency and bureaucratic methods are going to hurt them greatly if they don't change the way they handle people.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The interview process was fairly straight forward, quick, and simple. I found Jive through LinkedIn and applied directly on the company's website. I was contacted for a phone screening the next day. We scheduled the phone interview by the end of that week. After the first phone interview I was contacted for another phone interview with the hiring manager for the position. After the second phone interview I was contacted to schedule an on site interview. The onsite interview was longer than I most interviews I have done in the past but it was efficient, instead of having to come back in multiple days for multiple interviews I was able to get it all done in one day. The onsite interviews took about 3 hours and consisted of 5 different interviews. Three of the 5 interviews had a pair of interviewers while the other 2 were individual, the managers. I was contacted the following day, which was a Friday, to inform me of the intent to offer me a position. I was told the reason for the call was to give me good news before the weekend but that the official offer would come Monday. Needless-to-say I was pleasantly surprised and happy to hear the good news. I had an exceptional experience from beginning to end so I happily accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you troubleshoot a 500 Internal Server error?
      How would you deal with a customer who is not happy with your resolution to a problem?
      How do you deal with conflict?
      Tell me about a time when you couldn't resolve a customer's issue.
      How would you write a SQL SELECT statement?
      What are your hobbies, what do you do in your free time?

Answer Question

Sales Development Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Jive Software.

Started with a very simple phone interview with a recruiter. Then I came in to the office for two 30 minute interviews with members of the sales team. The final step was a simple email detailing your experiences and why you should be hired. Everyone was very friendly in the process and it only took about a week to finish the interviewing process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very straight-forward and discussions were about previous experience and why I would be an asset to the team.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate salary due to budget constraints but possibility of bonus structure in the future.

Sales Development Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jive Software.

I heard about the opening through a friend who worked in the Palo Alto office. The position was brand new at the time I was applying. For my interview, I had two separate one-on-one interviews that lasted about half an hour each.

The interviews were a little unconventional based on other interviews I had for similar positions. My first interviewer was doing probably around 75% of the talking. This was good in that it was very informative, and I got a sense for how passionate he was about the company and sales in general, but it also made me nervous that I wasn't getting sufficient time to sell myself. The second interview was also a little unorthodox in that it felt very conversational. Both he and I had prepared questions but it didn't feel like a formally structured Q&A like many other interviews I've had. This second interviewer was, too, very passionate and informed about the company and seemed very eager to share as well as know about me.

Most of the questions asked were anticipated. Why sales? Why Jive? What experience has prepared you for this role? None of the questions stood out to be as stumping.

Interview Questions
    • What experience or personality traits have prepared you for this role?   Answer Question
    Before receiving a formal offer, I received an email providing the details of a potential offer and I was asked if I would accept that hypothetical offer assuming it got approved, which I did with no further negotiation.

Business Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jive Software in February 2015.

After completing a phone-interview/screen I was offered an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of four 1-on-1 interviews, lasting about 30 minutes each, with a variety staff members in various positions/roles. This helped me to understand the variety of ways in which the role I was interviewing for would impact the company. I quickly got an appreciation for the dedication of the staff to business and furthermore, to their fellow employees, in supporting data-driven decision making.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jive Software in February 2015.

They accommodated my schedule and broke the interview into 3 meetings, one on site, one remote, and another one on site. Started with a phone interview with the hiring manager. Very relaxed informational almost to get high level fit to the role.
    The on site included again the hiring manager, and an engineering manager. Again, the Product Management interview was mostly talking about my background, technologies and products I worked with, followed by overview of the role at Jive.
    The Engineering manager was a great opportunity to meet a member of the technical team, and do a quick case study around a technical problem. This was no different than many discussions Product Managers have day to day with their engineering counter parts. You are not asked to program or are put on the spot, it is more of a collaborative discussion.

After my first on site, they called and said they want me to meet more members of the team, which included 2 other leaders in the Product Management team. The discussion was again very casual, trying to assess cultural fit as well as your past accomplishments. No tricky questions, nothing you need to prepare for, just be yourself.

The final meeting was with the CPO, this was by far the best meeting in terms of getting me to know that if I get an offer, I will take it. The culture and people are just great, which is the case in many companies, but sometimes you start loosing that connection the higher you go in the org chart. In this case, I got a great impression that the management team is open, communicative and part of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Normal background questions and some situational ones.   Answer Question

Sales Development Associate Interview

- Recruiter emailed me about the new Sales Development Associate position (prior to this I had applied for the SDR position and didn't get an interview, but they still kept my resume)
    - Set up a time and date for the interview
    - Interview: Senior SDR and experienced SDR both interviewed me separately for half an hour

Interview Questions
    • If you could pick two out of money, power, influence, or social, which would they be?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Jive Software.

The HR team is amazing. The whole interview process took place right before year end and I suppose it took longer than usual. The internal recruiter called a few times to make sure I was updated and not just waiting anxiously with no information.

The interview itself was composed of a phone interview with the internal recruiter, a phone interview with the hiring manager and another person on the team, and finally an in-person interview with two people on the team.

The interviewers were laid back; we pretty much just chit-chatted. They asked me about items on my resume, why I was leaving my previous company, etc; nothing unexpected.

I have heard great things about the company on Glassdoor and through friends. The offer they made me was fair and I gladly accepted it without negotiating.

Senior Professional Services Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Jive Software.

There were multiple interviews. They began with a technical phone based prescreen that reviewed Java, Javascript and SQL along with a number of conversations with the recruiter. Later I was flown out for a number of onsite interviews. The interviews were a combination of 1 on 1 interviews and panel interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There were many technical questions and business related questions. I don't remember any specifically difficult or unexpected ones.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jive Software.

I went through a three-step interview/hiring process after submitting my application. The first was a phone call with one a recruiter who ran me through the duties and responsibilities of the position and what it was like working at Jive. The second step was a video interview with one of the department managers who asked detailed questions about my skills and ran through a few scenarios with me. The final step was an in-person, three-hour interview at the office. I was interviewed by six different staff members for thirty minutes each. The recruiter came back with an offer four days later.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was regarding an industry standard term that I wasn't familiar with. I knew it by another name and fished around a bit for more clarification before I provide a good answer.   Answer Question