Jo-Ann Stores

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

1.7

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I applied and got a call and a week from a HR rep and she set up a face to interview with the District Team Leader for the following week. Pretty simple. I believe they have high turnover. I believe you have to like fabrics and crafts to want to work here.

I got what I wanted.

Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

The interview lasted less than 10 minutes. I was only asked simple questions like: Why do you want to work here, tell me about your work experience, when are you available etc. After that, there's a background check and some online paperwork to fill out. The entire process was pretty straightforward.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in December 2014.

Interview process took 4 weeks to complete.Phone interview with Regional HR, then face to face interview with Regional VP. Final interviews conducted at the corp office with a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • Structured interview, behavioral questions asked from a script by a senior manager. No focus on management style   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I applied online. The next day I was called to schedule an interview. A few days later I went into the store for a short interview and was offered the job at the interview. After completing the background check I was officially offered the job and filled out the new employee paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected, they ask typical retail questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, pay is $8/hr.

Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

The interview was very laid back, I arrived 10 minutes early and dressed nicely. The lady interviewing me was very nice and it felt like chatting with an old friend rather than sitting in an interview. I was offered a job on the spot. I received an email in which I could accept or decline the offer and then later was sent another email requesting a background check. It was overall a very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, they offered minimum wage

Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I applied to three locations at the same time, was rejected by one about two weeks later and then another three weeks later. Five or six weeks after the date I applied, I received a call to set up an interview for the next week. The questions were fairly standard, like how I dealt with a difficult situation with my coworkers and then a customer in my previous job experiences. The interviewer was nice. It lasted about twenty minutes. I was told I would hear back at the end of the week. The next morning I received an email with an offer and the directions on how to accept online along with an estimated start-date, which turned out to be a week later then estimated when I heard back the next week.

Overall, the process was slow, but since it's been like this for everything I've applied to lately, I have to assume that weeks or even months is normal to wait for any kind of response to an application.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected to be asked which store is my favorite to shop at.   Answer Question

Team Member Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ballwin, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ballwin, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I got a call about 3 weeks after I applied and scheduled an interview for the next day. Since the job was a seasonal one, the only question I was asked was 'why was I interested at working at Joann?'. I was offered the job on the spot. They seemed pretty flexible.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Applied online, was called in for an interview. Asked very basic interview questions. A huge plus if you actually know how to sew and craft. Was offered a position the day of the interview.

Interview Questions
    There was none since it was my first job. They typically start at minimum wage.

Part Time Team Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Apply online. You can go into the store to speak with a manager about submitting your application to put a face to a name. Applications are sorted by managers at the store depending on what they're currently looking for and either declined or short listed. If short listed the hiring team will sort through them again to set up interviews. Arrive a few minutes early in casual business clothes. Bring a copy of your resume/application (for interviewer in case computers are unable to print that day). Interviews are usually less than 30 minutes. Be friendly and answer every question with detail trying not to repeat answers for each question.
    After the interview, if the hiring team decides that you are not a good fit for the store you will be declined and receive an e-mail stating that. If the hiring team decides that they want to hire you, they will send you an offer via e-mail. You have the choice to accept or decline the offer. After accepting the offer you will receive another e-mail prompting you to complete the online background check. This usually takes a few days for it to come back. If you do not pass the background check the offer will be rescinded and you will be declined a position at the store. If the background check clears you will be submitted to 'Onboarding', which is the process of completing pre-employment paperwork/forms. After completing 'Onboarding' one of the managers will call you with your start date and time. The first 2 weeks schedule are difficult and may not have a lot of hours simply because those schedules were already made before your completion of 'Onboarding' but you will be added to the schedules following your start date.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to assist a customer that was extremely difficult to help. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer

Seasonal Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in October 2014.

Applied online, contacted a few weeks later about interview. Scheduled interview, showed up a bit early. I dressed in business casual and arrived early. Interview was very laid back, very friendly interviewer. They related some stories about past work experiences and how they came to work at Joann's and told me about the store culture a bit in regards to the location I was applying to.

Hiring is through email - they email you a cookie cutter email offering you a position, which outlines wage, title, and proposed start date. More paperwork to confirm you accept and allow them to run a background check on you. Finish up paperwork and such in store after checks and everything is filed.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you dealt with an uncomfortable situation with a customer."   Answer Question
    There isn't one. They email you a wage (minimum wage) and you accept or decline.