Jo-Ann Stores

80 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Retail Associate Interview

Retail Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – Walked in and asked employee where to meet store manager for interview. He was very kind in calling the store manager to inform them I was there and directed me the back office. Interview of great; store manager made me feel relaxed and alert instead of nerve-wracking.

Interview Question – What kind of crafts do you do?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I really wanted the position, so I could save up to continue my education, but the pay was not enough to cover all my bills.

Kent, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and got a call a few days later asking if I would come in for interview, that Friday. On that morning, I got there just in time because the manager was there waiting for me. I introtuced myself and had a nice talk. The manager was really nice, and seemed to like most of my answers.

Interview Question – I was not expecting to have to role play as an employee, and the manager being a customer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very simple, the questions were related mostly to customer service and allowing them to see your personality and demeanor, ensuring that you are friendly and that you were a good fit as a sales associate. They also require individuals to have a clear background.

Interview Question – "Name a situation where a customer did not agree with what was going on at the job site"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they were only able to pay minimum wage.

Team Member

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very laid back and easy going. Be professional, but casual and friendly. Important to ask questions about tasks as a team member. It is also appreciated to explain what you can add as a team member and for the store. They want to know what crafts you're into and have a lot of knowledge over.

Interview Question – Nothing, every question are the average questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked me to work the day of the interview and they scheduled me as soon as possible to begin training.

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – Went to the interview and was asked very few questions. What are 3 strengths/weaknesses? What do you know about the products being sold? etc. Answered confidently was given the job at the end.

Interview Question – What are 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Project Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

Project Team Member (Seasonal)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in May 2014.

Interview Details – Was brought in with two other people to be told how the job works, what the hours were and what was expected of us. Interview lasted all of five minutes. Very few questions asked. Store was undergoing a renovation at the time, so the interview was conducted in a poorly lit room without a floor.

Interview Question – "Do you know how to execute a plan-o-gram?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Hours were mostly at night, which I could not do. Position only lasted a month and staying on as a permanent hire was unlikely unless you were willing to travel cities away to one of their other locations. Hiring manager gave off a bad vibe.

Cashier/Craft Associate Interview

Cashier/Craft Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair for JoAnns as they were opening a new location in my city. I went into the interview nervous as it was my first job, but I was asked typical questions and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – They ask if you have experience with sewing or crafting, and while it is a plus if you do, its not a requirement and they mostly are looking for competent workers.   Answer Question

Rockwall, TX

Interview Details – I saw they were hiring on Indeed, so I headed over to their website and submitted my application. 3 days later, I was called to set up an interview in 2 more days time. The interview consisted of sitting with the GM in the break room and answering questions about my experience in customer service.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was available.

El Paso, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in April 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call two days before the interview. Since I missed the call, I had to call back. I was casually told to come in and ask for the General Manager.
The day of the interview, I arrived a few minutes early. I tried the door, but the store wasn't open. I decided it best to wait in my car. After the doors opened, I entered and asked for the Manager. The sales associate was very nice and went to the back to let the Manager Know I was there. The Manager was busy with a delivery, so I looked around the store a bit. When the the Sales Associate slowed down a bit, we shared a few words. She informed me that if I was hired I would be doing a bit of everything, and the store was busy all day long. After about thirty minutes are so, the Manager came out and invited me to the back.

After sitting down, in a dirty office (apparently both vacuums were broken) the Manager left to take care of some other business in the front of the store. Five minutes later she returned and started the interview. First off she mentioned that two positions were available and explained what was involved. She also stated that the company didn't believe in paying over minimum wage. (Personally, I felt like they were asking you to do everything for nothing.) Then she went over my resume. I kind of felt insulted (I do look young) when she asked if I was going to finish my schooling and get my bachelors, despite my resume clearly stated that I had recently graduated. She then went mentioning stuff, not really saying much or giving me a chance to share any of my experiences. Eventually she turned to asking the actual interview questions. They were primarily on how I would handle difficult situations or things I didn't know how to do (apparently the proper response to everything is to ask the store manager, because team members are incapable of handling simple customer problems). After the business based questions, she moved on to asking about my interests in crafts. She went through various departments. When she found one I was more familiar with, she sounded excited, but didn't allow me to share anything about the projects I had completed. She then asked if I had any more questions, which I didn't(I knew more about the company than I wanted to [dead end job, varying hours, minimum wage]. Finally, she said that had a few more interviews and I would be informed if I got the job by Friday. The Manager then asked me to show myself out.

About two hours later, I received an email stating that they had decided to go with another candidate.

Overall, I felt that the Manager had some experience, but was far from professional.

Interview Questions

• Say someone comes in with a couple coupon books and multiple items and tries to use them at the register, but they won't ring up properly, what would you do? (I'm not sure if this is even allowed, the hiring manager at one point said it was, then later said it wasn't)   View Answer
  • Assuming there is a disgruntled customer, how would you respond?   View Answer

Mankato, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in October 2011.

Interview Details – Short interview, hired on the spot. I didn't have a sewing background but that didn't matter, you learn as you go and I did!

Interview Question – Questions were very general and typical - why would you like to work here, would you like to work fulltime or part time   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jo-Ann Stores

Worked for Jo-Ann Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jo-Ann Stores interview questions and advice. All 80 interview reviews posted anonymously by Jo-Ann Stores employees and interview candidates.