Jo-Ann Stores

1.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Applied over another ago but Goya call 2 days ago set up an interview for today. She was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It was very laid back asked if I had retail experience and if I did any crafts. They really love if you know how to sew already. Asked me about availability and that it was seasonal but they try to keep people and asked if that was something g I would consider. Went over the job role and what to expect. Was hired on the spot. Super easy!

Interview Questions
    No negotiations it is pt and and was offered slightly above min wage.

Retail Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview was quick, had a paired interview with another candidate. No personal questions were asked, mainly discussed your part in the position. Took up to 15 mins, very quick and straight to the point. Was hired on the spot.

Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in September 2014.

Applied online on Thursday around 3pm, was called the next day (Friday) arond 11:30am to set up an interview. I was in class at this time and was unable to answer the call, but the manager left the store's number and the times she would be available Saturday for me to call. I called Saturday first thing, and was set up with an interview on Sunday. Arrived 10 minutes early, interview took about 20 minutes. The manager described the job, the hours, the pay, and asked if I had any questions. We chatted the majority of the time, unlike any interview I had ever done before. Received an offer by email one hour later.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, minimum wage for a seasonal job

Team Project Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in September 2014.

i saw the ad on line i applied i got an answer in ten mins made an interview appt and when i arrived for my interviewnothing about it was difficult the interview felt as if i were sitting in my living room chatting with an old pal thats how relaxed and great they werei was expecting to be nervous but as soon as i introduced myself i was led into an office with a high back chair but cushioned and in a tea like setting and was asked why i want to work there why should they hire me and as youve read i won her over fast because i was just myself and i showed my eagerness to work there and learn new projects as well as to work in an area i had never worked before as i always worked customer service for over fifteen years im so happy that it went so super well .this is a company i would recommend to all who are lovers of trying something new and learning new skills that can be used for home for teachers moms kids teenagers i mean its just one of those stores that feel like home and makes you feel like learning and sharing your experience with them to all who want to give it a try its great

Interview Questions
    • nothing about it was difficult the interview felt as if i were sitting in my living room chatting with an old pal thats how relaxed and great they werei was expecting to be nervous but as soon as i introduced myself i was led into an office with a high back chair but cushioned and in a tea like setting and was asked why i want to work there why should they hire me and as youve read i won her over fast because i was just myself and i showed my eagerness to work there and learn new projects as well as to work in an area i had never worked before as i always worked customer service for over fifteen years im so happy that it went so super well .this is a company i would recommend to all who are lovers of trying something new and learning new skills that can be used for home for teachers moms kids teenagers i mean its just one of those stores that feel like home and makes you feel like learning and sharing your experience with them to all who want to give it a try its great   View Answer
    very easy

Seasonal Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in September 2014.

I filled out an application online, got a call for an interview a couple days later. I had applied for a permanent position a few months ago and I wasn't sure which position it was I actually interviewing for. The manager who called spoke really quickly and I couldn't understand what her name was, but she gave me two timeslots to come in. I missed her call the first time and had to call back, and when I did, I had a problem because, like I said, I couldn't understand her name so I wasn't sure who I was supposed to be asking for. Eventually I figured it out, though, and she wasn't even there, but one of the other managers (?) said he'd give her the message.

So the day of the interview came and I had a really upset stomach due to nerves, so I ended up being a bit later than I intended, but I thought that was okay because she hadn't actually given me a real timeslot, just a time range, but apparently I was supposed to have gotten there before the start of the time range.

My mom and sister had both worked at Jo Ann's before and said their interviews were basically like "Are you available and do you have functioning brain cells?" so I was really caught off guard when there was a really long interview. I thought I did pretty well, although I had some trouble with some of the questions because I don't have much work experience so I didn't really have answers.

At the end, the manager said she had to review all my answers and stuff with one of the higher-up managers and if she liked me, then I'd get called in for yet another interview, which surprised me because most of the interviews on this website didn't mention a second interview, and it seems especially excessive for a part-time seasonal position. But she didn't give me any sort of idea of when I should expect to hear back if I'm selected for a second interview, so I don't know if I'm still waiting for a call or if I'm just not getting hired.

By the way, there's no space to add it, but one of the interview questions was why Jo Ann's, of course, and I was also asked why Jo Ann's instead of the place I've been working the past two holiday seasons.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you delivered great customer service?   View Answer
    • Have you ever had to deal with long lines?   View Answer
    • Have you ever been late to work, and if so, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • Did a manager or supervisor ever tell you to do something you disagreed with, and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • Do you have any plans for the day after Thanksgiving?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in August 2014.

Planning occurs by phone- I received a call from the store manager around 9 am to schedule an interview. My actual interview process was very simple, as they were desperate to hire at the time and offered me a job on the spot based almost solely on my previous retail experience. The paperwork was done online and took about a week before everything was in order. The hiring process was, overall, quite easy.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. They simply asked about my previous experience and qualifications for taking the job   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They were only able to offer minimum wage.

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in August 2014.

I applied online as a seasonal team member. Three days later, I received a call asking to set up an interview. The interview took place inside a little office in the store. The manger began with the obvious, "tell me about yourself," and went about asking common interview questions. Most of the interview consisted of customer service based questions, but since I mentioned I did not have any experience in retail or customer service, I was unable to answer most of them. She told me she would hold interviews for the next two weeks and would email her decision after. Few hours after the interview, I received an email stating that they have decided to "pursue other applicants who more closely match the needs of this position." I guess my no experience turned her off.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Why do you want to work at Jo-Ann?
      3. What does good customer service mean to you?
      4. Describe a time when you received excellent customer service. What made it so special?
      5. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond.
      6. How would you handle an upset customer?
      7. Can you sew?

Answer Question

Operations Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I received a call from the store leader (manager) who set up an interview in person. Upon meeting she was very warm and friendly. Questions were read off a packet she had and quiet honestly she laughed at some of them but in the long run I can understand the reasoning. Anyway, the most questions were, tell me about you, how do you handle difficult customers, how can you lead a team, can you work all shifts. No questions were asked if I could do any crafts or what my salary expectations are. I was told I would hear within a week on the job. Prior to the week ending, I had a telephone interview with the district leader who also was very reassuring. The hard part of the phone interview was not being able to see the face to face reactions, etc.

Interview Questions
    • None really, be yourself and always talk team and customer.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as they offered me more in the offer than originally offered.

Retail Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Walked in and asked employee where to meet store manager for interview. He was very kind in calling the store manager to inform them I was there and directed me the back office. Interview of great; store manager made me feel relaxed and alert instead of nerve-wracking.

Interview Questions

I really wanted the position, so I could save up to continue my education, but the pay was not enough to cover all my bills.

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in July 2014.

Applied through an internet job board. Within a day I received a call from the recruiter who scheduled an interview with me to be taken place in the store they were posting for. The interview was very casual and smooth. The interviewer was polite, calm and friendly. After that I had a second interview with the district manager again in the store about two weeks later since he was on vacation the previous week. Again, the interview was smooth with no real mind challenging questions for an experienced manager. It took about seven days from the second interview to get an offer call from the DM.

Interview Questions
    • What would your direct reports say about you if I pulled one off the street?   Answer Question
    • Tell me what weaknesses you have and how you have worked to overcome them?   Answer Question
    • How do you manage your business?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate since the rate of pay for the location was substantially less that what they offered me. Though it was a very good offer for the business that particular location did.