Jo-Ann Stores

Average Difficulty
85 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

Project Team Member (Seasonal)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in May 2014.

Interview Details – Was brought in with two other people to be told how the job works, what the hours were and what was expected of us. Interview lasted all of five minutes. Very few questions asked. Store was undergoing a renovation at the time, so the interview was conducted in a poorly lit room without a floor.

Interview Question – "Do you know how to execute a plan-o-gram?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Hours were mostly at night, which I could not do. Position only lasted a month and staying on as a permanent hire was unlikely unless you were willing to travel cities away to one of their other locations. Hiring manager gave off a bad vibe.

Cashier/Craft Associate Interview

Cashier/Craft Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair for JoAnns as they were opening a new location in my city. I went into the interview nervous as it was my first job, but I was asked typical questions and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – They ask if you have experience with sewing or crafting, and while it is a plus if you do, its not a requirement and they mostly are looking for competent workers.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Rockwall, TX

Interview Details – I saw they were hiring on Indeed, so I headed over to their website and submitted my application. 3 days later, I was called to set up an interview in 2 more days time. The interview consisted of sitting with the GM in the break room and answering questions about my experience in customer service.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was available.

El Paso, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in April 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call two days before the interview. Since I missed the call, I had to call back. I was casually told to come in and ask for the General Manager.
The day of the interview, I arrived a few minutes early. I tried the door, but the store wasn't open. I decided it best to wait in my car. After the doors opened, I entered and asked for the Manager. The sales associate was very nice and went to the back to let the Manager Know I was there. The Manager was busy with a delivery, so I looked around the store a bit. When the the Sales Associate slowed down a bit, we shared a few words. She informed me that if I was hired I would be doing a bit of everything, and the store was busy all day long. After about thirty minutes are so, the Manager came out and invited me to the back.

After sitting down, in a dirty office (apparently both vacuums were broken) the Manager left to take care of some other business in the front of the store. Five minutes later she returned and started the interview. First off she mentioned that two positions were available and explained what was involved. She also stated that the company didn't believe in paying over minimum wage. (Personally, I felt like they were asking you to do everything for nothing.) Then she went over my resume. I kind of felt insulted (I do look young) when she asked if I was going to finish my schooling and get my bachelors, despite my resume clearly stated that I had recently graduated. She then went mentioning stuff, not really saying much or giving me a chance to share any of my experiences. Eventually she turned to asking the actual interview questions. They were primarily on how I would handle difficult situations or things I didn't know how to do (apparently the proper response to everything is to ask the store manager, because team members are incapable of handling simple customer problems). After the business based questions, she moved on to asking about my interests in crafts. She went through various departments. When she found one I was more familiar with, she sounded excited, but didn't allow me to share anything about the projects I had completed. She then asked if I had any more questions, which I didn't(I knew more about the company than I wanted to [dead end job, varying hours, minimum wage]. Finally, she said that had a few more interviews and I would be informed if I got the job by Friday. The Manager then asked me to show myself out.

About two hours later, I received an email stating that they had decided to go with another candidate.

Overall, I felt that the Manager had some experience, but was far from professional.

Interview Questions

• Say someone comes in with a couple coupon books and multiple items and tries to use them at the register, but they won't ring up properly, what would you do? (I'm not sure if this is even allowed, the hiring manager at one point said it was, then later said it wasn't)   View Answer
  • Assuming there is a disgruntled customer, how would you respond?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Mankato, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in October 2011.

Interview Details – Short interview, hired on the spot. I didn't have a sewing background but that didn't matter, you learn as you go and I did!

Interview Question – Questions were very general and typical - why would you like to work here, would you like to work fulltime or part time   Answer Question

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I saw an ad through a job agency, so I went to store and got the manager's contact information. I then applied online and called the manager to let him know to look for my application. I followed up about once a week for about two weeks, and had actually given up when they called me in for an interview. The interview was pretty easy, the manager asked why I wanted to work at the store, what crafts I like to do, and how much I knew about customer service and fabrics.

Interview Question – Nothing was really too difficult, just the usual availablitiy questions. The most unexpected question was "Can you sew?" and really, it wasn't too surprising, considering that it is a fabric store.   Answer Question

Sales Team Member Interview

Sales Team Member
Vancouver, WA

I interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in December 2013.

Interview Details – I tried to apply online and after 2 hours of filling out the application their system "ate" it. I went to the store to complain and was sent to a job fair going on that day. So I went to the job fair and was hired.

Interview Question – "So this is part time and minimum wage. Would you be good with that?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They called me several times because all their paperwork is done on the computer and then website kept freezing and losing my information. I gave up several times, but they kept calling me and asking me to keep trying to get it through, and finally I got it to work.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

Interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores

Interview Details – Interviewed by the store manager. They just ask some basic questions.

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Buyer's Assistant

Interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores

Interview Details – Interview with 3 individuals.

Interview Question – I didn't have any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Charlottesville, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in May 2013.

Interview Details – I had family friends working their so i got the job almost instantly but not long after i was hired they all left.

Interview Question – they didn't ask any hard questions. The only one that was "hard" was the why you want to work here and i had to force myself from saying to get money while i am home from college   Answer Question