Jo-Ann Stores

68 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

Bryan, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – productivity is extremely important, knowledge of internal audits are a must!

Interview Question – The interview process is relativly simple, if you have audit knowledge, you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – simple, they will negotiate salary to a degree

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in November 2012.

Interview Details – A friend of mine worked at the store, she said it was and easy job and that most of the employees were nice so I sent in an application. I received a call back to come for an interview, I was told to bring my resume, and SSI. So I was pretty sure I already got the job from the referral alone. I arrived and they asked me a few easy questions, about my experience, what I think about customer service etc. What they didn't tell me is that I would be starting that same day, so I did not wear the proper kahki pants or polo shirt they require. Apparently when they left a voicemail for the interview they forgot to mention that small detail, it was very unorganized and slightly frustrating.

Interview Question – No difficult questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiations, the pay is the same for seasonal employees with an increase if you do overtime.

Merchandising Team Leader Interview

Merchandising Team Leader

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviews are typically done by the Store Team Leader or by the District Team Leader. You will have two interviews. The hiring process has changed since I was hired so there is a lot of emails that you will have to respond to before you begin working. These consist of the background checks and so forth.

Interview Question – It wasn't that difficult of an interview. It was pretty basic. I think that experienced retail managers won't have any problems with the interview especially if they have scenarios in mind to use.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a choice of different positions at different stores. I was given the option to choose and then I called back with my decision after doing research.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I applied online and one week later I received a call asking me to come in for an interview in a couple days. I work a black skirt and dress blouse with a pair of flats. The manager who was interviewing me was nice and asked me the standard interview questions such as "Why Jo-Ann" and "Describe a time who gave excellent customer service." It lasted around 15 minutes. Overall, it was a very pleasing interview.

Interview Question – "How did I overcome a difficult situation with a customer?" This question was more difficult for me because I hadn't had any previous retail experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a job offer with better pay somewhere else.

Floor Team Leader Interview

Floor Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – Interview goes by a corporate spreadsheet - questions are very nebulous and seem over involved for craft sales - low pay. Very enthusiastic interviewer - but also nervous and spoke too long about themselves.

Interview Question – case scenario: you are on the floor and there is only one cashier - there are only two of you in the store and corporate needs 100 skus out on the rack before the end of the day - who do you place on the cutting table and who do you ensure is on the register...?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – the corporate mentality is really ridged, and the pay scale is too tight.

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Hudson, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details – Process was formal. I received a phone call asking if I'd like to interview, followed by a detailed agenda. Interviewed with 4 people. HR and 3 creatives.

Interview Question – Questions were the standard fare. Nothing real difficult if you're prepared. My previous job was very creative but job was not, so the most difficult question was "don't you think you'll get bored".   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Webster, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I was called one day before my interview. Hiring manager was impressed that I came early and called beforehand to confirm my interview. Only 1 interview before hired.

Be sure to dress business casual, even though you won't be required to dress up for the job. Helps if you have experience in crafts, but mostly just highlight customer service experience/ how you handle difficult customers, etc. If you want to do demonstrations or eventually teach classes, bring samples of your work. Otherwise, samples not necessary.

Smile a lot, since they look for this in a team member. The interview was very informal, had it in the break room while another employee was having lunch. As you walk through the store, be sure to greet each customer there, since they will expect you to do this once hired. Everyone was laid back, but be extra professional to stand out. Most current employees looked miserable, but manger was enthusiastic, so mimic that enthusiasm. Superstores are more hectic, so be prepared if you're interviewing to work at a superstore (largest stores).

After the interview, I was asked to accept the offer online, then submitted information for background check and filled out more paperwork online, then came in a few days later to submit verification documents (DL and SS card). Be sure to keep checking your email because everything else to accept the job will be online and has to be done before your first day of work. Whole process took about a week.

Overall, it helps to really love crafts and interacting with people. Let this shine through in your interview. Once hired, some of the policies are a bit restricting and it can be really stressful dealing with corporate rules and upper management, but keep reminding yourself of the joy of crafting and learning from customers, and you'll do just fine! :)

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Joann?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Shrewsbury, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I dropped off a resume and didn't hear back for two weeks. After calling multiple times I was called in for an interview. I got there and nobody knew I was coming in. They offered me the job on the spot.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Cashier/Craft Associate Interview

Cashier/Craft Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – Most of it was on-line so by the time that I got an interview, I was fairly confident about getting the job.

Interview Question – I was asked about how I felt about people who try to game or take advantage of a system.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – She told me what the salary was.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

Interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview after an online application.

Interview Question – Have I ever done Planograms   View Answer