Jo-Ann Stores Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

1.8

Operations Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview

I was told on the phone that I was required to be available 24/7 for this job. The interview was extremely hectic, unprepared, and all over the place. The person interviewing me was obviously busy, hurried and distracted. It was the most harried interview I have ever had. I accepted the job anyway, but did not stay long at this job.

Interview Questions

• I was interviewed in a heavily trafficked area of the stock room and we were interrupted no less than 10 times and my interview was eavesdropped on by other assistant managers. It was apparent to me that these other managers were "feeling me out" before the job was offered to me due to clique issues.   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview

I applied and got a call and a week from a HR rep and she set up a face to interview with the District Team Leader for the following week. Pretty simple. I believe they have high turnover. I believe you have to like fabrics and crafts to want to work here.

Negotiation

I got what I wanted.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview

I had to fill out an application and was called a day later to come speak to a manager. All they asked me was if I had any knowledge of crafts and what sales experience I had.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't negotiation. I was given a part time position at minimum wage

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview

The interview lasted less than 10 minutes. I was only asked simple questions like: Why do you want to work here, tell me about your work experience, when are you available etc. After that, there's a background check and some online paperwork to fill out. The entire process was pretty straightforward.

Part-Time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores (Bloomington, IN) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, was called in several weeks later for an interview. They told me it was for part-time but the paperwork would be for seasonal, I found that a little odd. The interview was low-key, the manager was pleasant to talk to. I told I'd get an email the next week but got an offer the next day. I have a decade of retail experience but was only offered $7.50 an hour so I had to decline. The offer and the chance to accept or decline were handled online, they don't discuss pay during the interview. There would have been a background check had I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Very low pay - only a quarter over min wage even though I have a lot of experience and open availability.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process took 4 weeks to complete.Phone interview with Regional HR, then face to face interview with Regional VP. Final interviews conducted at the corp office with a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Structured interview, behavioral questions asked from a script by a senior manager. No focus on management style   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted me with in a week, scheduled a phone interview with the recruiter, basic questions, nothing unusual. A week later scheduled a face to face interview with a DM. A store team leader sat in on interview, almost same questions as recruiters. DM told me he had one more interview next week and he would call me then. 4 weeks later DM called and said I need to re-apply and he also scheduled another phone interview with another DM. Other DM asked basically same questions as other 2 interviewers, he said "We'll have to get you onboard, I'll have the DM call you tomorrow." A week later DM calls and wanted to schedule another interview with the Regional the next day. Went to 4th interview with Regional, basically same questions as other 3 interviews except she didn't read them off a paper like the others. Regional said "I'll have the DM call you tomorrow." DM never called, maybe he's waiting another 4 weeks like the first time! This process was so disorganized from the beginning, they never did anything they said they were going to do and does it really take 4 interviews to make a decision. Very unprofessional and disorganized.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview

I applied online. The next day I was called to schedule an interview. A few days later I went into the store for a short interview and was offered the job at the interview. After completing the background check I was officially offered the job and filled out the new employee paperwork.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult or unexpected, they ask typical retail questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, pay is $8/hr.

Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview

The interview was very laid back, I arrived 10 minutes early and dressed nicely. The lady interviewing me was very nice and it felt like chatting with an old friend rather than sitting in an interview. I was offered a job on the spot. I received an email in which I could accept or decline the offer and then later was sent another email requesting a background check. It was overall a very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, they offered minimum wage

Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

I applied to three locations at the same time, was rejected by one about two weeks later and then another three weeks later. Five or six weeks after the date I applied, I received a call to set up an interview for the next week. The questions were fairly standard, like how I dealt with a difficult situation with my coworkers and then a customer in my previous job experiences. The interviewer was nice. It lasted about twenty minutes. I was told I would hear back at the end of the week. The next morning I received an email with an offer and the directions on how to accept online along with an estimated start-date, which turned out to be a week later then estimated when I heard back the next week.

Overall, the process was slow, but since it's been like this for everything I've applied to lately, I have to assume that weeks or even months is normal to wait for any kind of response to an application.

Interview Questions

• It was unexpected to be asked which store is my favorite to shop at.   Answer Question