Jo-Ann Stores

Getting the Interview

20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlottesville, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in May 2013.

Interview Details – I had family friends working their so i got the job almost instantly but not long after i was hired they all left.

Interview Question – they didn't ask any hard questions. The only one that was "hard" was the why you want to work here and i had to force myself from saying to get money while i am home from college   Answer Question

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I applied online, and about two weeks later the STL called me to ask if I could come in the following day for an interview. I arrived early. I wore dress pants, a plain top, and my hair pulled back neatly. She asked me why I wanted to work at Jo-Ann's, explained the job description and shift duties, and then she asked if I was interested in the job.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Jo-Ann's?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed

Dunbar, WV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – Applying was easy, the response was quick.
Typical retail interview with the usual 'what have you done in the past in this situation' questions. The manager interviewing me was pretty relaxed about the whole thing.
I started a few weeks later. Would have gotten in earlier, but there were issues regarding the online criminal background verification or something.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in November 2012.

Interview Details – A friend of mine worked at the store, she said it was and easy job and that most of the employees were nice so I sent in an application. I received a call back to come for an interview, I was told to bring my resume, and SSI. So I was pretty sure I already got the job from the referral alone. I arrived and they asked me a few easy questions, about my experience, what I think about customer service etc. What they didn't tell me is that I would be starting that same day, so I did not wear the proper kahki pants or polo shirt they require. Apparently when they left a voicemail for the interview they forgot to mention that small detail, it was very unorganized and slightly frustrating.

Interview Question – No difficult questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiations, the pay is the same for seasonal employees with an increase if you do overtime.

Webster, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I was called one day before my interview. Hiring manager was impressed that I came early and called beforehand to confirm my interview. Only 1 interview before hired.

Be sure to dress business casual, even though you won't be required to dress up for the job. Helps if you have experience in crafts, but mostly just highlight customer service experience/ how you handle difficult customers, etc. If you want to do demonstrations or eventually teach classes, bring samples of your work. Otherwise, samples not necessary.

Smile a lot, since they look for this in a team member. The interview was very informal, had it in the break room while another employee was having lunch. As you walk through the store, be sure to greet each customer there, since they will expect you to do this once hired. Everyone was laid back, but be extra professional to stand out. Most current employees looked miserable, but manger was enthusiastic, so mimic that enthusiasm. Superstores are more hectic, so be prepared if you're interviewing to work at a superstore (largest stores).

After the interview, I was asked to accept the offer online, then submitted information for background check and filled out more paperwork online, then came in a few days later to submit verification documents (DL and SS card). Be sure to keep checking your email because everything else to accept the job will be online and has to be done before your first day of work. Whole process took about a week.

Overall, it helps to really love crafts and interacting with people. Let this shine through in your interview. Once hired, some of the policies are a bit restricting and it can be really stressful dealing with corporate rules and upper management, but keep reminding yourself of the joy of crafting and learning from customers, and you'll do just fine! :)

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Joann?   View Answer

Shrewsbury, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I dropped off a resume and didn't hear back for two weeks. After calling multiple times I was called in for an interview. I got there and nobody knew I was coming in. They offered me the job on the spot.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Bryan, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in August 2013.

Interview Details – I filled out an online application (which was simple and quick) about 7 days later got a call to set up an interview date.

(WHAT TO WEAR): i'm a girl so i wore nice dress pants, closed toe shoes (flats), hair up, a poncho t-shirt (casual dressy one), with a black tank top underneath.

(INTERVIEW): this was my first interview i've ever had and i was nervous so i over thought the whole interview and practice how to answer everything but when i was being interviewed the lady just asked me about the things i listed i was experienced in on the online application and asked what my hobbies were and basically asked random questions about me and my current situation. and it was after she asked all these questions which i kindly answered that she asked "TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF" which was difficult because i basically already did tell her because she asked all the question one would need to know to get to know someone. but i played cool i got stuck a little bit but i pulled through. Overall it was about 20 minutes and quite easy if you dont over think it. The lady was nice and very chill and very understanding.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself? (----only difficult because she asked a whole lot of questions that stated everything she needed to know about me---)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing really to negotiate just to fill out some papers online.

Conyers, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in April 2013.

Interview Details – I scheduled an interview online on a job posting site for a new location near me. It was for a temporary but possibly permanent position. When I arrived there were about 10 other people there, it was a hiring event. I was interviewed for about 10 minutes and got a call back the next day and was offered the job. I went to orientation the next week and started working a few days later.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were given a task but not given exact rules or instructions on how to complete the task.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of one. They told me the salary and asked if I was okay with it and then it was done.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in July 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty quick and basic interview in my case. Just met with the Store Team Leader. She asked about availability and current job. I did have a background check, but only because they were interested in me for management too. No drug test or other tests.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – Very fast and easy. Walked in and talked about the job and what was to be expected, the hours, pay, and uniform. Was told that I would receive a call of when orientation would be. 3 days later I got a call about orientation which was for 3 days after that.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jo-Ann Stores

Worked for Jo-Ann Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jo-Ann Stores Team Member interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Jo-Ann Stores employees and interview candidates.