Jo-Ann Stores

Average Difficulty
25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kent, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and got a call a few days later asking if I would come in for interview, that Friday. On that morning, I got there just in time because the manager was there waiting for me. I introtuced myself and had a nice talk. The manager was really nice, and seemed to like most of my answers.

Interview Question – I was not expecting to have to role play as an employee, and the manager being a customer.   Answer Question

Team Member

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very laid back and easy going. Be professional, but casual and friendly. Important to ask questions about tasks as a team member. It is also appreciated to explain what you can add as a team member and for the store. They want to know what crafts you're into and have a lot of knowledge over.

Interview Question – Nothing, every question are the average questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked me to work the day of the interview and they scheduled me as soon as possible to begin training.

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in September 2013.

Interview Details – Went to the interview and was asked very few questions. What are 3 strengths/weaknesses? What do you know about the products being sold? etc. Answered confidently was given the job at the end.

Interview Question – What are 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

El Paso, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in April 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call two days before the interview. Since I missed the call, I had to call back. I was casually told to come in and ask for the General Manager.
The day of the interview, I arrived a few minutes early. I tried the door, but the store wasn't open. I decided it best to wait in my car. After the doors opened, I entered and asked for the Manager. The sales associate was very nice and went to the back to let the Manager Know I was there. The Manager was busy with a delivery, so I looked around the store a bit. When the the Sales Associate slowed down a bit, we shared a few words. She informed me that if I was hired I would be doing a bit of everything, and the store was busy all day long. After about thirty minutes are so, the Manager came out and invited me to the back.

After sitting down, in a dirty office (apparently both vacuums were broken) the Manager left to take care of some other business in the front of the store. Five minutes later she returned and started the interview. First off she mentioned that two positions were available and explained what was involved. She also stated that the company didn't believe in paying over minimum wage. (Personally, I felt like they were asking you to do everything for nothing.) Then she went over my resume. I kind of felt insulted (I do look young) when she asked if I was going to finish my schooling and get my bachelors, despite my resume clearly stated that I had recently graduated. She then went mentioning stuff, not really saying much or giving me a chance to share any of my experiences. Eventually she turned to asking the actual interview questions. They were primarily on how I would handle difficult situations or things I didn't know how to do (apparently the proper response to everything is to ask the store manager, because team members are incapable of handling simple customer problems). After the business based questions, she moved on to asking about my interests in crafts. She went through various departments. When she found one I was more familiar with, she sounded excited, but didn't allow me to share anything about the projects I had completed. She then asked if I had any more questions, which I didn't(I knew more about the company than I wanted to [dead end job, varying hours, minimum wage]. Finally, she said that had a few more interviews and I would be informed if I got the job by Friday. The Manager then asked me to show myself out.

About two hours later, I received an email stating that they had decided to go with another candidate.

Overall, I felt that the Manager had some experience, but was far from professional.

Interview Questions

• Say someone comes in with a couple coupon books and multiple items and tries to use them at the register, but they won't ring up properly, what would you do? (I'm not sure if this is even allowed, the hiring manager at one point said it was, then later said it wasn't)   View Answer
  • Assuming there is a disgruntled customer, how would you respond?   View Answer

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I saw an ad through a job agency, so I went to store and got the manager's contact information. I then applied online and called the manager to let him know to look for my application. I followed up about once a week for about two weeks, and had actually given up when they called me in for an interview. The interview was pretty easy, the manager asked why I wanted to work at the store, what crafts I like to do, and how much I knew about customer service and fabrics.

Interview Question – Nothing was really too difficult, just the usual availablitiy questions. The most unexpected question was "Can you sew?" and really, it wasn't too surprising, considering that it is a fabric store.   Answer Question

Charlottesville, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in May 2013.

Interview Details – I had family friends working their so i got the job almost instantly but not long after i was hired they all left.

Interview Question – they didn't ask any hard questions. The only one that was "hard" was the why you want to work here and i had to force myself from saying to get money while i am home from college   Answer Question

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I applied online, and about two weeks later the STL called me to ask if I could come in the following day for an interview. I arrived early. I wore dress pants, a plain top, and my hair pulled back neatly. She asked me why I wanted to work at Jo-Ann's, explained the job description and shift duties, and then she asked if I was interested in the job.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Jo-Ann's?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed

Dunbar, WV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – Applying was easy, the response was quick.
Typical retail interview with the usual 'what have you done in the past in this situation' questions. The manager interviewing me was pretty relaxed about the whole thing.
I started a few weeks later. Would have gotten in earlier, but there were issues regarding the online criminal background verification or something.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in November 2012.

Interview Details – A friend of mine worked at the store, she said it was and easy job and that most of the employees were nice so I sent in an application. I received a call back to come for an interview, I was told to bring my resume, and SSI. So I was pretty sure I already got the job from the referral alone. I arrived and they asked me a few easy questions, about my experience, what I think about customer service etc. What they didn't tell me is that I would be starting that same day, so I did not wear the proper kahki pants or polo shirt they require. Apparently when they left a voicemail for the interview they forgot to mention that small detail, it was very unorganized and slightly frustrating.

Interview Question – No difficult questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiations, the pay is the same for seasonal employees with an increase if you do overtime.

Webster, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Interview Details – I was called one day before my interview. Hiring manager was impressed that I came early and called beforehand to confirm my interview. Only 1 interview before hired.

Be sure to dress business casual, even though you won't be required to dress up for the job. Helps if you have experience in crafts, but mostly just highlight customer service experience/ how you handle difficult customers, etc. If you want to do demonstrations or eventually teach classes, bring samples of your work. Otherwise, samples not necessary.

Smile a lot, since they look for this in a team member. The interview was very informal, had it in the break room while another employee was having lunch. As you walk through the store, be sure to greet each customer there, since they will expect you to do this once hired. Everyone was laid back, but be extra professional to stand out. Most current employees looked miserable, but manger was enthusiastic, so mimic that enthusiasm. Superstores are more hectic, so be prepared if you're interviewing to work at a superstore (largest stores).

After the interview, I was asked to accept the offer online, then submitted information for background check and filled out more paperwork online, then came in a few days later to submit verification documents (DL and SS card). Be sure to keep checking your email because everything else to accept the job will be online and has to be done before your first day of work. Whole process took about a week.

Overall, it helps to really love crafts and interacting with people. Let this shine through in your interview. Once hired, some of the policies are a bit restricting and it can be really stressful dealing with corporate rules and upper management, but keep reminding yourself of the joy of crafting and learning from customers, and you'll do just fine! :)

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Joann?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jo-Ann Stores

Worked for Jo-Ann Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jo-Ann Stores Team Member interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by Jo-Ann Stores employees and interview candidates.