Jo-Ann Stores

Updated Dec 9, 2014

1.4

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

The interview lasted less than 10 minutes. I was only asked simple questions like: Why do you want to work here, tell me about your work experience, when are you available etc. After that, there's a background check and some online paperwork to fill out. The entire process was pretty straightforward.

Other Interview Reviews for Jo-Ann Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Applied over another ago but Goya call 2 days ago set up an interview for today. She was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It was very laid back asked if I had retail experience and if I did any crafts. They really love if you know how to sew already. Asked me about availability and that it was seasonal but they try to keep people and asked if that was something g I would consider. Went over the job role and what to expect. Was hired on the spot. Super easy!

Interview Questions
    No negotiations it is pt and and was offered slightly above min wage.

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in August 2014.

I applied online as a seasonal team member. Three days later, I received a call asking to set up an interview. The interview took place inside a little office in the store. The manger began with the obvious, "tell me about yourself," and went about asking common interview questions. Most of the interview consisted of customer service based questions, but since I mentioned I did not have any experience in retail or customer service, I was unable to answer most of them. She told me she would hold interviews for the next two weeks and would email her decision after. Few hours after the interview, I received an email stating that they have decided to "pursue other applicants who more closely match the needs of this position." I guess my no experience turned her off.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Why do you want to work at Jo-Ann?
      3. What does good customer service mean to you?
      4. Describe a time when you received excellent customer service. What made it so special?
      5. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond.
      6. How would you handle an upset customer?
      7. Can you sew?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in August 2014.

Planning occurs by phone- I received a call from the store manager around 9 am to schedule an interview. My actual interview process was very simple, as they were desperate to hire at the time and offered me a job on the spot based almost solely on my previous retail experience. The paperwork was done online and took about a week before everything was in order. The hiring process was, overall, quite easy.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. They simply asked about my previous experience and qualifications for taking the job   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They were only able to offer minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in June 2014.

I applied online, and got a call a few days later asking if I would come in for interview, that Friday. On that morning, I got there just in time because the manager was there waiting for me. I introtuced myself and had a nice talk. The manager was really nice, and seemed to like most of my answers.

Interview Questions
    • I was not expecting to have to role play as an employee, and the manager being a customer.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I saw an ad through a job agency, so I went to store and got the manager's contact information. I then applied online and called the manager to let him know to look for my application. I followed up about once a week for about two weeks, and had actually given up when they called me in for an interview. The interview was pretty easy, the manager asked why I wanted to work at the store, what crafts I like to do, and how much I knew about customer service and fabrics.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really too difficult, just the usual availablitiy questions. The most unexpected question was "Can you sew?" and really, it wasn't too surprising, considering that it is a fabric store.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores in April 2014.

I received a call two days before the interview. Since I missed the call, I had to call back. I was casually told to come in and ask for the General Manager.
    The day of the interview, I arrived a few minutes early. I tried the door, but the store wasn't open. I decided it best to wait in my car. After the doors opened, I entered and asked for the Manager. The sales associate was very nice and went to the back to let the Manager Know I was there. The Manager was busy with a delivery, so I looked around the store a bit. When the the Sales Associate slowed down a bit, we shared a few words. She informed me that if I was hired I would be doing a bit of everything, and the store was busy all day long. After about thirty minutes are so, the Manager came out and invited me to the back.

After sitting down, in a dirty office (apparently both vacuums were broken) the Manager left to take care of some other business in the front of the store. Five minutes later she returned and started the interview. First off she mentioned that two positions were available and explained what was involved. She also stated that the company didn't believe in paying over minimum wage. (Personally, I felt like they were asking you to do everything for nothing.) Then she went over my resume. I kind of felt insulted (I do look young) when she asked if I was going to finish my schooling and get my bachelors, despite my resume clearly stated that I had recently graduated. She then went mentioning stuff, not really saying much or giving me a chance to share any of my experiences. Eventually she turned to asking the actual interview questions. They were primarily on how I would handle difficult situations or things I didn't know how to do (apparently the proper response to everything is to ask the store manager, because team members are incapable of handling simple customer problems). After the business based questions, she moved on to asking about my interests in crafts. She went through various departments. When she found one I was more familiar with, she sounded excited, but didn't allow me to share anything about the projects I had completed. She then asked if I had any more questions, which I didn't(I knew more about the company than I wanted to [dead end job, varying hours, minimum wage]. Finally, she said that had a few more interviews and I would be informed if I got the job by Friday. The Manager then asked me to show myself out.

About two hours later, I received an email stating that they had decided to go with another candidate.

Overall, I felt that the Manager had some experience, but was far from professional.

Interview Questions
    • Say someone comes in with a couple coupon books and multiple items and tries to use them at the register, but they won't ring up properly, what would you do? (I'm not sure if this is even allowed, the hiring manager at one point said it was, then later said it wasn't)   View Answer
    • Assuming there is a disgruntled customer, how would you respond?   View Answer

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I applied online, and about two weeks later the STL called me to ask if I could come in the following day for an interview. I arrived early. I wore dress pants, a plain top, and my hair pulled back neatly. She asked me why I wanted to work at Jo-Ann's, explained the job description and shift duties, and then she asked if I was interested in the job.

No negotiation needed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunbar, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunbar, WV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

Applying was easy, the response was quick.
    Typical retail interview with the usual 'what have you done in the past in this situation' questions. The manager interviewing me was pretty relaxed about the whole thing.
    I started a few weeks later. Would have gotten in earlier, but there were issues regarding the online criminal background verification or something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jo-Ann Stores.

I was called one day before my interview. Hiring manager was impressed that I came early and called beforehand to confirm my interview. Only 1 interview before hired.

Be sure to dress business casual, even though you won't be required to dress up for the job. Helps if you have experience in crafts, but mostly just highlight customer service experience/ how you handle difficult customers, etc. If you want to do demonstrations or eventually teach classes, bring samples of your work. Otherwise, samples not necessary.

Smile a lot, since they look for this in a team member. The interview was very informal, had it in the break room while another employee was having lunch. As you walk through the store, be sure to greet each customer there, since they will expect you to do this once hired. Everyone was laid back, but be extra professional to stand out. Most current employees looked miserable, but manger was enthusiastic, so mimic that enthusiasm. Superstores are more hectic, so be prepared if you're interviewing to work at a superstore (largest stores).

After the interview, I was asked to accept the offer online, then submitted information for background check and filled out more paperwork online, then came in a few days later to submit verification documents (DL and SS card). Be sure to keep checking your email because everything else to accept the job will be online and has to be done before your first day of work. Whole process took about a week.

Overall, it helps to really love crafts and interacting with people. Let this shine through in your interview. Once hired, some of the policies are a bit restricting and it can be really stressful dealing with corporate rules and upper management, but keep reminding yourself of the joy of crafting and learning from customers, and you'll do just fine! :)