JoS. A. Bank

Average Difficulty
62 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank.

Interview Details – Online application and then the store manager looks at the application to see if applicants qualify for the position. Interview was a way for the manager to get to know the applicant and then the test of putting an outfit together.

Interview Question – Having to accept that you will be on your feet the entire time and having to work very long hours on the holidays.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You may negotiate either you want to be paid on commission or be paid at a fixed pay rate.

Keyholder/Manager's Assistant Interview

Keyholder/Manager's Assistant
Normal, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied in person. Set up an interview for the following week. Generic interview questions. People seemed like fun. Hiring and interview process took about one week, just had to give my two week notice to my previous employer.

Interview Question – Generic interview questions. Nothing out of the usual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation necessary.

Third Key/Salesperson Interview

Third Key/Salesperson
Dublin, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in February 2014.

Interview Details – Customer service is key. Most people going into this will not know what they are doing. It will take most people about three months or so to really learn the product and have the possibility to hit commission. When you go to your interview, push all of your customer service skills. Also, before you apply, stop in the store and see if they needs people, and just how badly they do.

Interview Question – I didn't really get asked many questions. I presented all of my customer service history, and was a complete walk on for the store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get $9/hr. That is the company maximum for this position. All in all, is just isn't worth the money.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Charlottesville, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in May 2013.

Interview Details – I went in the store to buy a tie. I talked to the manager and she asked me to apply online. I did and got a call a day after. She called me in for an interview. I didn't get the job. It was 108 degrees, but I should have worn a suit.

Interview Question – Nothing. They were all Pretty benign questions.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in October 2012.

Interview Details – Must send up application on line. Called within a week for an interview. Met with the store manager. Call back within a couple of days with an offer and a start date. Training lasted for about 3 weeks and lacked sufficient thoroughness even though that was plenty of time to be thorough. Managers could careless about helping you.

Negotiation Details – Just told what expected earnings would be and about the draw that was to be paid back and beyond that would be commission earned.

Sales Executive

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank.

Interview Details – Initially, you visit the company's website and fill out an application for your prospective location. They give you a call to set up an interview. The interview is very laid back and asks common questions, they will not ask you any questions that you do not know the answer to. Post interview they will either offer you the job or get back with you later. If you're offered the job, they'll have you visit the floor and put together an attire that they provide the details for (type of event, what the particular customer likes and does not like, etc.).

Interview Question – They will not ask you any question that you do not know the answer to.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The job has a base pay plus commission.

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied Online through their careers website. Within a week I was contacted by phone for general questions such as basic requirements of the job and minimal questions about background sales and managing experience. A few days later I was phoned and asked to come in for a in-person interview. The in-person interview was mostly informal, was conducted in the backroom where the Store Manager explained what they did and some of the roles I would take on. Unfortunately the interview was interrupted several times for customers which I could understand as their was only 1 other sales associate on the floor at the time. I was contacted a few days later and asked when I could start and pay was established.

Interview Question – Please give an example of a difficult situation where you had to meet a customers request which was outside of the norm.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiating consisted of how much the base hourly pay was and the commission percentage. The higher the base pay, the lower the minimum sale number was for the month. As it was a Department Manager position, the amount of time dedicated towards sales was minimal, therefore should should request a higher base salary with a higher minimum sales requirement.

Management Trainee -- Planning Interview

Management Trainee -- Planning

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank.

Interview Details – I had a marathon interview process. I was interviewed by four people in one sitting. One of the interviewers was obviously not prepared to interview me, so that was a total waste of time. The other 3 asked pretty much the same questions in each interview. I started with an HR rep, then two of the people that I would potentially be working directly for, and finally a VP that didn't really ask anything pertinent. All four interviewers were nice, I just had no idea that I would be spending 20 to 30 minutes waiting in between interviews.

Interview Question – I had one exec asked me if I would be bored with the job because of my previous experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, it was a take it or leave it offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was told to apply online as they were hiring at the time. I got called in the next day for an interview and that was it.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank.

Interview Details – Apply online, then take an online assessment .

Interview Question – Not really any, it's not rocket science.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!