JoS. A. Bank

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Evanston, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online at their website. I originally applied for a Store Manager position. I never received a response about it so I moved on. Around a month later I received an email asking me to apply for a keyholder position. I applied and a day or two later I received a call from the store manager and set up an interview. During the interview we went through the normal stuff such as work history, experience, etc. Just normal interview questions. The position, really all the positions are about selling clothes. So he asked if I'd be willing to go onto the salesfloor and demonstrate upselling to him. He picked out a sport coat and asked me to sell him more. So I picked out a pair of pants, shirt and tie that coordinated with the jacket well. We finished up the interview and he offered me the position. I told him I'd need a few days to think about it and would get back to him. I did not take the position. The starting pay was too low. To earn more you have to meet a sales goal and then you earn commission, anywhere from %5-%7.

Interview Question – He took me on the sales floor and asked me to sell him some clothes. I picked out an outfit that went well with the jacket he selected. I asked him a few questions to see what he wanted the jacket for and went off that decide what the outfit would be.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay rate was $9.25 per hour, full time. Once you reached a personal sales goal you earned commission anywhere from 5-7 percent.

Very Easy Interview

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was totally rinky-dink . . . i should have been tipped-off by the lack of in-depth questions and discussion. I was never asked about my extensive background in the industry or what my plan was for the future. I had one 15 minute interview and I was hired. Candidates should be wary of a hiring approach which is simply intended to bring warm bodies into play for a few months until they quit in total frustration and humiliation.

Interview Question – What would you do if someone brought back a defective product?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – The hiring manager promised a "hourly training rate", which he did not honor. There was no negotiation whatsoever, only a double-cross on the part of the company regarding compensation/hourly rate. Unless you don't mind working like a slave, in a suit or sport coat, for "burger flipped wages", look elsewhere. You'd be only wasting your time because you'll not find advancement opportunities or sustaining income at Jos. A. Bank. Only a terrible sense of being taken advantage of and cloying feeling of senselessness in the job overall.

Very Easy Interview

Chevy Chase, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at JoS. A. Bank in May 2010.

Interview Details – I recieved more out of the on-line than in-person with the company. They called me right away after they got my information. However the position I applied for was not even being offered.

Reason for Declining – Did not trust them after all.

Interviews for Top Jobs at JoS. A. Bank

Worked for JoS. A. Bank? Contribute to the Community!

JoS. A. Bank – Why Work for Us?

As one of the nation’s premier clothiers, our reputation for beautifully made, classically styled, tailored and casual clothing has earned us the trust and confidence of generations of customers. Our team members are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JoS. A. Bank Keyholder interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by JoS. A. Bank employees and interview candidates.