Joey Restaurants

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Joey Restaurants in August 2007.

Interview Details – A current joeys sous chef heard that I was in the restaurant business and that I had a few years in the back of the house. He told me I should come in the following week to talk with him and a few others about a posibile job. I came to the restaurant, told the hostess i was here to see him, and she sat me down in a booth near the back of the retaurant. he came out lesurely talked with me about the business for about 5 -10 minutes. He told me to hold on and that he was gonna get the chef to have an interview with me. the both arrived a few minutes later and we all talked a bit. then asked when i could start, what a fair pay was and a day i could start.

Interview Question – tell us about your experiance   View Answer

Negotiation Details – comfortable and fair

Server

I applied online and interviewed at Joey Restaurants.

Interview Details – The initial interview process: Candidates are contacted to come in for an interview with one or multiple managers or trainers (I was interviewed by two). Questions were very basic, some were based on experience listed on the resume:
"Tell me about yourself"
"Tell me about a time you created a great/ memorable experience for someone"
"Why is team work important to you"
Those who are selected get invited to a subsequent training session (which they also refer to as a working interview). In my case this was several weeks after my interview. As I had been invited to the training session, I did not pursue other job possibilities in the time between the interview and training, although this would have been wise.

The training process:
The first day was essentially a tour of the restaurant and listing duties. I found that they conducted it as a learning session where they spoke and trainees listened (with occasional short responses by trainees).
At the end of the first day, a number of people were let go and asked not to come to the rest of the training sessions. I was unhappy that they were unclear this was a possibility; they communicated it as a training session rather than an extended group interview. Further, when I asked why I was being let go, the trainer responded that I had not shown enough personality.
In my opinion this is a pretty weak and standardized response to the question. I had been one of the more vocal people in the group, so I would be more inclined to think the real reason I, and the others, were let go is one of the following:
-No serving experience (if this is the case it would not align with the 'training from the ground up' and 'equal possibilities' philosophies that they promote)
-I did not fit their standard of beauty (very subjective)
-I said something they did not like
-The score of the online menu test was not adequate (I had one incorrect)

The following three days of the were to be attended in uniform so it was likely what you would expect: practice taking orders, serving and running food, cleaning and setting tables, drink orders etc.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you created a great/ memorable experience for a customer.
(May be based on experience listed on resume, i.e. mine was specific to my experience as a barista and how I had created a great experience for someone in that role.)
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Joey Restaurants in December 2013.

Interview Details – Walked into JOEY Markville with a well written cover letter and resume. Told the guest service members at the front of the desk that I was applying for a back of the house job (kitchen, etc). They sat me down and I waited for 15 minutes because of the busy service. Two head chefs came and spoke to me, asked me questions about my resume and why I wanted to work there. Got hired on the spot :)

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Sound enthusiastic and smile if you want this job real bad. Provide answers that show you care, and show that you are really determined to growth and have a passion for working there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You start off at 10.50 + 1 (tips) , so 11.50 on start. As you progress and learn how the kitchen works, progressively you will be able to earn more.

Guest Service Interview

Guest Service
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Joey Restaurants.

Interview Details – It was really easy he asked me like one question about myself and then about my availability and I got the job

Negotiation Details – He just told me I make $10 and hour

Server

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Joey Restaurants in April 2011.

Interview Details – -Come into the restaurant and are handed an application
-If you come in during slow times in the middle of the week (between 2 and 4) you are more likely to get an interview right away
-Sometimes a lower manager (called "leaders") interview you first. They ask about prior experience, if you've been on any teams, what your biggest weakness is and how you plan to overcome it, ect. They love to here that you are "coachable" / "moldable" / can take direction well.
-If they like you they will schedule you with a higher manager, sometimes right away if they are in the restaurant at the time.
-Similar questions as the first manager. They are looking for: charisma, creative answers, and confidence. They don't worry if you haven't had prior experience.
-Word of caution: I have heard that they are now requiring that all Hostesses be first trained as waitresses, so if you're under 18, you're unlikely to get a job as a hostess.
-If you get the job they will call you that night. If not, you didn't get it.
-If you aren't the brightest bulb I wouldn't worry, they seem to care more about charisma and looks.

Interview Question – If you could be a vegetable, what would you be?   View Answer

Line Cook

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Joey Restaurants in May 2013.

Interview Details – I found the ad online and sent an email responding to it. A few hours later I was emailed by the owner and sent a questionnaire to fill out and email back. Typical interview questions "why do you want to work here?"; "What skills and assets would you bring to the company?" I replied and within a few minutes they had emailed me back looking to set up an interview. I was unable to at the time that they wanted me to come in but they were very helpful and rescheduled me. The actual interview was about 40 minutes long. The owner was incredibly nice, and friendly! Made me feel very welcome. At the end of the interview he said that they don't offer jobs on the spot, but gave me a card and told me the times to reach him if I didn't hear back from him after a week. But I got the job!!

Interview Question – They had a bunch of papers with different things on them (good wages, management, interesting work, etc) on it and said to pick the top 3 that are the most important, and then to pick 2 more. Other than that there weren't too many weird questions. Were really persistent in you asking them questions though!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of a negotiation phase. I told them my wage expectations and that I was looking for full time work, and they accepted.

Server

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Joey Restaurants in March 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend and the interview process was short

Interview Question – "Explain an experience in the past where you had to turn around a negative customer"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Joey Restaurants.

Interview Details – Very quick
You look good, you get an interview

Interview Question – None whatsoever. Its joey - come on.   Answer Question

Server

I applied in-person - interviewed at Joey Restaurants in August 2012.

Interview Details – Dropped off a resume and got an on the spot interview. It was fairly informal, I was asked to talk about myself, previous serving experience, and why I wanted to work at Joeys. Was hired on the spot into a week long training group.

Interview Question – The interview was quite brief, none of the questions were difficult, just be prepared to talk about yourself and be personable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Hostess and Server Interview

Hostess and Server

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Joey Restaurants in February 2009.

Interview Details – Joey Restaurants is all about the people. My interview process was informal but I was expected to be very personable with everyone I met. In the service industry, especially a company that is so high-energy, it pays off to know about the business and its target clients as well as have a big smile all the time.
If you're really good looking, it doesn't hurt.

Interview Question – So... tell me about you.   View Answer

Worked for Joey Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!