John Crane Interview Questions

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

2.6

Customer Reliability Engineer Interview

Initial communication was through phone by the HR. After 2 weeks I got an email to setup an interview with the hiring manager. The interview was nice. He asked me about the past experiences.

Customer Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Crane.

The hiring and interview process was so easy. I basically got the job after the first internview. The manager told me at the end of the interview that I should expect an offer letter within two weeks. I got the offer letter about a month after. Once you are on board, you have to call HR and get your accounts setup. You also have to call HR for benefits and call IT to setup all remaining accounts. No local HR or IT is present and you have to do almost everything on your own. There isn't really training involved so watch out for those people who are recent grads and want training in Engineering.

Interview Questions
    • There was an unexpected question regarding about relocation. The manager asked if I was single or married and if I had an issue about relocating due to my girlfriend/spouse. I guess it is a legit question, I just haven't been asked that before on first interviews.   View Answer
    The negotiation was really easy, I guess they needed someone hired ASAP. I wish I had read previous reviews and accepted other offers I had. Only reason I took this offer was because the pay was great. The structure of the management is ineffective and will not be changed anytime soon.

Buyer Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at John Crane.

Was a great interview. Local group and chicago was a class act. Felt comfortable with the management, had a great six-sigma program in place and solid continuous improvement efforts. The multiple interviews were point at topic and looked for fit in the family as well. Unfortunatly, my division was closed and moved overseas.

Nice and respectful

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morton Grove, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at John Crane in October 2012.

When I interviewed, I did a phone screen first and then had an on-site interview with 2 supervisors and 1 manager. I was also able to sit down with the group who would become my co-workers which was different but a good experience. They were all thorough and then I received a plant tour.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when I was given a print and asked how long it would take, how to process it, and what type of machine it would take. I estimated the time fairly close but did not have enough experience on the other items.   Answer Question

Graphic Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morton Grove, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Crane in August 2012.

I was contacted by someone in human resources. When I was being interviewed, I first met with human resources to go over schedule, etc. about the position. I then met with the head of the department I would be working in. That was about a 45 minute meeting. There was then a graphic design test to make sure I knew the programs. The test was administered in Quark. Their technology and computers are very outdated in each room. They are also still working with CS3. After I floundered my way through the test (I think Quark is a waste of time and everything should be done in Indesign, especially in a global company), I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was the test in Quark. I hadn't once been in Quark before the test, something I mentioned clearly in my resume.   Answer Question
    There was absolutely no negotiation. They wanted to run a background check, credit check, and do a urine drug test. I thought this was extensive for someone sitting behind a computer who wouldn't be dealing with money or machinery, but I complied.

Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Crane.

Initial communication through recruiter. Prepared well for the interview and coming in at graduate level - had little experience in this field. Given this, the questions were fairly technical for a 'Mechanical Seal' newbie. If you are already familiar - shouldn't be a huge problem. First interview was around 60 - 75mins, coevered a range of the basics i.e. CV, past work, how would you handle this and that etc. Was given a technical assembly drawing and asked "What do you know about this?" and some components and asked to describe manufacturing processes. It was challening enough to the point that some of my answers were a little short... but everyone's in the same boat.

Second interview was more on a peronal level. The boss of that department wants to make sure you're basically someone that'll fit into the 'team' and that he likes (or doesn't dislike, more the the point). This included a walk around tour and lasted close to 2hours all in. Though I think because I was likely to get the job (his words) - otherwise it could have been a fair bit shorter!

Part of the second interview process included a PPA questionnaire - done at home in your own time. This is basically just to make sure you aren't likely to petrol bomb the building or something.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you know about this?" - handed a compressor GA drawing. Can be quite tricky for someone not familiar with such equipment and drawing standards.   Answer Question

Senior Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at John Crane in October 2014.

3 rounds of interview went very well first round was technical with a very knowledgable person second round with the general manger And then last round with the HR. Very friendly Environment really made me feel comfortable the discussions were very casual due to which I could really give my best

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at John Crane in September 2012.

6 months waiting since initial application online. Then a telephone interview by the local manager, then 2 months odd waiting to be arranged a second interview with the regional (higher level) manager, then within a 2 weeks period another telephone interview with the HR manager for final assessment. All in all this was one of my oddest hiring processes that started from back to forth. I was considering that usually the HR manager interviews first.

Interview Questions
    • Where do I see myself in the company within the next 2-3 years?   View Answer

At the end I managed to receive the job offer, but I had to turn down, since meanwhile throughout this long long process I had received another offer from different company that was much quicker in the valuation process of my skills.

New Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at John Crane in January 2011.

Good & systematic

Interview Questions
    • Accurate costing for mechanical parts in span of 20 minutes   View Answer