John Deere

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at John Deere in September 2009.

Round 1:

1 on 1 interview that is very relaxed. Answers must all be in STAR format to their behavioral based interview questions.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in February 2010.

Use STAR interviewing-Situation/Task or Action/Resolution. I was asked about my experience in a position that I was in over 20 years ago.

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in May 2008.

Interviews are behavioral i.e. "Tell about a time when you...." type questions. Most times there are multiple interviers (the HR manager and hiring manager). The interviews are not easy....you must be prepared. I suggest you even bring a page of notes to remind you of things you've done so you can draw from that. Most people have no problem with you doing that.

Interview Questions
    You can negociate on vacation if you have a lot of experience. There is flexibility on salary too.

Lead Design Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Deere.

Around 5 rounds of interview. The process is very fast.

Interview Questions
    offer was more than i expected.

Supply Management Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Deere.

Very straightforward, 2 interviews both on the phone and behavioral and situational.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you solved a problem pertaining to a group.   Answer Question
    None

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at John Deere in October 2012.

It was a great experience to interview with John Deere. All questions were STAR based. The community tour was very helpful. It changed my perspective about the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area. Everyone, during the interview process, was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the position that I interviewed for, did not fit my experience level-so I had to decline the offer. The hiring process was a little slow. The offer was very impressive. Great benefits, generous relocation package as well as signing bonus. Vacation of 3 weeks, which was impressive (most comapnies offer 2 weeks' vacation time for new hires). I think the benefits offered by Deere are probably the best you can get.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to convince a co-worker to follow the system.   View Answer

The position I was offered was an entry to mid level position, whereas I was looking for a senior level position.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in December 2012.

I was contacted through email by one of the engineers at John Deere who asked if he could contact me by phone. He called me a few days later and we talked for a while about farming, tractors, and where I grew up (on a farm). It was a very informal and enjoyable conversation. I was offered a flight up to Augusta for a formal interview which I declined in favor of driving which I was still compensated for. The interview was three one hour interviews, each with a different engineer. An hour was taken for lunch with two engineers, and another hour was taken as a tour through the plant. I enjoyed my entire interview since all of the engineers were very easy going and fun to talk to. If you have any background in farming or the outdoors, you will get along easily with these guys. I liked the fact that all of the interviewers were engineers so they understood the design process and could understand the difficulties involved with certain tasks.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were straightforward but you should write down all the experiences you have working in teams and using leadership skills beforehand so they are fresh in your mind. As an example, one of the questions was something along the lines of: think of a time that you used your persuasive skills to convince a group of people to use an idea of yours but your idea ended up being wrong. How did you convince them to use your idea and what did you do when you realized it was the wrong way to do it.   Answer Question

John Deere offers a very good, stable career. I took an offer in a more volatile and exciting area of engineering with a substantial pay cut because I enjoy taking risks and like the culture of a start up company. For someone looking for a stable job with great benefits, I would definitely recommend John Deere.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Deere in October 2012.

The process was very well designed to get to the essential facts about how I approach work and challenges. There was also an emphasis on my personality and character. The process started with a screening interview with an HR representative, followed by a phone interview with the prospective manager, and then followed by a round of in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions focused on past experiences dealing with certain types of questions of problems. Come prepared and know your resume.   Answer Question

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at John Deere in October 2009.

Four rounds of interview
    Telephonic
    Hiring manager
    Head of Department
    HR round

Interview Questions
    Negotiate for higher package than offer

Part Time Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Deere.

The office design is amazing, it is incredibly nice and massive! The interview process involved 3 individuals and the STAR process. The interview was three parts and began with questions over my résumé, then normal team as past experience questions based on the star system. Finally wrapping up with casual personal questions and then they have me a chance to ask them questions.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate anything.