John Deere

John Deere Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

Legal Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at John Deere.

First there was a phone interview which was really basic and seemed a breeze to get past. Questions were asked about why I was interested in the company, if I would relocate, what I thought about living in Moline, etc. Then I was flown out for a second interview. During the interview I talked to 4 different people, each for one hour. Each person had a packet of STAR interview questions - all behavioral interview questions. These prove to be much more difficult than one might first imagine! Moline is very different, and I'm not sure how I really would have felt living there. They seemed more interested in someone who was older and settled down, and seemed very caught up on how I would move there at my young age. Overall a neat experience but stressful interview process!

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle it when you disagreed with a coworker?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in November 2013.

I was interviewed off site at a career fair. The questions were situation-based so they mostly started with "Tell me about a time when..." After the first round of interviews, you are contacted for the second round which involves you being flown to the John Deere headquarters in Moline, IL. You then go through 2 interviews in 4 hours where your previous interview and transcript are reviewed. Then you are asked more situation based questions, sometimes the same ones as you were asked in the first round.

Interview Questions
    • The question was "Tell me about at your biggest defeat and how you overcame it."   Answer Question
    There was none. They tell you what the offer is and you can either accept or decline

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Deere in November 2013.

Met with recruiters at a conference, had an interview on conference site, then 2 weeks later I received an invitation to Moline, IL for an onsite interview. 2 different engineers interviewed me there, plus a tour and lunch to Corporate offices. Received offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral question and based on your experiences on your resume.   Answer Question

Part Time Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in November 2013.

Very easy process. Typical behavioral interview questions. Not something to worry about. A lot of teamwork related questions and questions about why you want to work for them, why you picked your major, etc. Want to see that you are a leader and work best when on a team. The entire interview process consisted of one 1:2 interview. I have heard of others who had initial phone interviews. One thing to be aware of: Almost everyone who is a part time student whom I have talked to is struggling to have enough work to fill their time. This seems to be a large problem with John Deere's part time student and internship positions.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty straight forward questions. One was tell me about a mundane task...   Answer Question

Quality Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at John Deere in November 2013.

Went to career fair, handed in resume. Got called two weeks later telling me I had an interview at headquarters up in Moline IL, had to take time off class to go there. They call you the night before the interview to do a practice interview, which is nice. The actual interview is 3 different behavioral interviews, each about 4-5 questions. They tell you they're looking for STAR answers. They hair test if you work in IL, urine test if in IA.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing outside of the ordinary, they expect STAR answers for their behavioral questions   Answer Question
    No negotiation for intern

Intern Interview

All behavioral based questions that incorporate the STAR Method.Make sure you know your resume from top to bottom because they will try to incorporate each question into one of your prior experiences or campus involvements. Also, make sure to have questions prepared for the interviewer. This shows interest in the company and also shows that you did your research.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to earn someone's trust? Based on prior experience
      Favorite class in school?

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at John Deere.

This was a very long and drawn out process. From on-line application to interview was approximately 9 months and an additional 2 months before the offer was made.

Interview Questions
    • This was a typical STAR interview process. Tell me about a time when... Also expect to have atleast 2 interviewers.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. I accepted the position as is or didn't. They would not negotiate.

Manufacturing Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at John Deere.

Was interviewed on the spot at SHPE National Conference. Received notice within 2 weeks and was flown to Moline for interviews with multiple managers. While in Moline, we toured World Headquarters and spoke with many new-hires and rotational-program engineers. After the 2nd round interviews, another 2-4 weeks before I was notified that I received an internship. Make sure to collect business cards because most of the HR I emailed did not have their phone numbers in their signature lines.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was "name a time when you submitted a project/assignment late, how did you handle that situation"   Answer Question

IT Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in October 2013.

The whole process took 5 weeks from the time I meet with them at a career fair at Purdue, then interviewed the next day on campus. An email was sent that I was chosen to come to Moline, Ill (their world headquarters) to do a half-day of final interviews. All the interviews are STAR or behavioral based questions. I first interviewed with two people at Purdue Campus, the next two interviews were at the John Deere training Center in Moline. They paid for my room at the Radisson (excellent hotel), all my meals (under 35.00 per day) tolls, & mileage. I was contacted exactly two weeks after the final interviews via an e mail on the best time to call on the following day. I received that phone call and in 10 mins I was offered the internship. Email then followed with acceptance letters.

Interview Questions
    • None really, just know details good and bad about different situations you have been a part of.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, as this is an internship. They pay VERY well and offered me a fully furnished apartment for the duration at $450/month. Excellent benefits including health, 401K, tution reimibursement (up to $1000) & employee discounts

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in October 2013.

Largely behavioral based, little to no technical questions. Be sure to answer questions in STAR format, this should be discussed before the interview. Interviewers were very nice and professional, low stress interview, but make sure to come up with as many different experiences as you can to show diversity, I answered about 10 behavior questions during the first interview and about 25 during the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you took credit for a team effort and how did you react?   Answer Question