John Deere

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

Part Time Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in November 2013.

Very easy process. Typical behavioral interview questions. Not something to worry about. A lot of teamwork related questions and questions about why you want to work for them, why you picked your major, etc. Want to see that you are a leader and work best when on a team. The entire interview process consisted of one 1:2 interview. I have heard of others who had initial phone interviews. One thing to be aware of: Almost everyone who is a part time student whom I have talked to is struggling to have enough work to fill their time. This seems to be a large problem with John Deere's part time student and internship positions.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty straight forward questions. One was tell me about a mundane task...   Answer Question

Quality Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at John Deere in November 2013.

Went to career fair, handed in resume. Got called two weeks later telling me I had an interview at headquarters up in Moline IL, had to take time off class to go there. They call you the night before the interview to do a practice interview, which is nice. The actual interview is 3 different behavioral interviews, each about 4-5 questions. They tell you they're looking for STAR answers. They hair test if you work in IL, urine test if in IA.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing outside of the ordinary, they expect STAR answers for their behavioral questions   Answer Question
    No negotiation for intern

Intern Interview

All behavioral based questions that incorporate the STAR Method.Make sure you know your resume from top to bottom because they will try to incorporate each question into one of your prior experiences or campus involvements. Also, make sure to have questions prepared for the interviewer. This shows interest in the company and also shows that you did your research.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to earn someone's trust? Based on prior experience
      Favorite class in school?
        Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at John Deere.

This was a very long and drawn out process. From on-line application to interview was approximately 9 months and an additional 2 months before the offer was made.

Interview Questions
    • This was a typical STAR interview process. Tell me about a time when... Also expect to have atleast 2 interviewers.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. I accepted the position as is or didn't. They would not negotiate.

Manufacturing Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at John Deere.

Was interviewed on the spot at SHPE National Conference. Received notice within 2 weeks and was flown to Moline for interviews with multiple managers. While in Moline, we toured World Headquarters and spoke with many new-hires and rotational-program engineers. After the 2nd round interviews, another 2-4 weeks before I was notified that I received an internship. Make sure to collect business cards because most of the HR I emailed did not have their phone numbers in their signature lines.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was "name a time when you submitted a project/assignment late, how did you handle that situation"   Answer Question

IT Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in October 2013.

The whole process took 5 weeks from the time I meet with them at a career fair at Purdue, then interviewed the next day on campus. An email was sent that I was chosen to come to Moline, Ill (their world headquarters) to do a half-day of final interviews. All the interviews are STAR or behavioral based questions. I first interviewed with two people at Purdue Campus, the next two interviews were at the John Deere training Center in Moline. They paid for my room at the Radisson (excellent hotel), all my meals (under 35.00 per day) tolls, & mileage. I was contacted exactly two weeks after the final interviews via an e mail on the best time to call on the following day. I received that phone call and in 10 mins I was offered the internship. Email then followed with acceptance letters.

Interview Questions
    • None really, just know details good and bad about different situations you have been a part of.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, as this is an internship. They pay VERY well and offered me a fully furnished apartment for the duration at $450/month. Excellent benefits including health, 401K, tution reimibursement (up to $1000) & employee discounts

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Deere in October 2013.

Largely behavioral based, little to no technical questions. Be sure to answer questions in STAR format, this should be discussed before the interview. Interviewers were very nice and professional, low stress interview, but make sure to come up with as many different experiences as you can to show diversity, I answered about 10 behavior questions during the first interview and about 25 during the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you took credit for a team effort and how did you react?   Answer Question

Welding Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moline, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Deere in October 2013.

Interview process took about a month. It began with an on campus visit followed by a interview with one person. After I received an email stating they wanted a second interview at the corporate headquarters in Moline, Il. They pay for a hotel room at the Radison and all travel expenses. The interviews were behavioral based following the star method. The interviewers were very respectable and seemed like they wanted to be there and enjoyed speaking with me.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a complex situation where you had to make a decision that could have two ways to reach that outcome and why you chose that option.   Answer Question

Specifications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Falls, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Falls, IA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at John Deere in October 2013.

I felt very comfortable throughout the process. Gretchen was knowledgeable of the positions and what was going to be required of me in them. Prepped before any interview I had, including phone screenings. I always felt prepared was not just thrown into a job I had no skills for or interest in.

Interview Questions
    • When put into a difficult situation and the outcome was not what you wanted, how did you handle it and what would you do differently.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Deere in October 2013.

Talked to the recruiters at my school's career fair. They look at your resume and immediately decide if they will invite you back for an on-campus interview the next day. You sign up for a time slot and prepare for your interview. The interview is pretty relaxed and totally behavioral (i.e. tell me about a time you worked in a group project and overcame a conflict, tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical decision, etc.). The interviewers (two of them at once) were very nice and helpful. If that interview goes well, you will be flown out to the headquarters in Moline, IL for a final interview. There you have two interviews, each with one person from your field, which are essentially the same type of questions from the first inverview. They will typically respond in a few weeks after your last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time that you made a decision in a group that you knew others would not be happy/agree with. Why did you do it and was it the right decision?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate - just accepted the offer.