John Deere Interview Questions in Iowa

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.9

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA).

Interview

I applied online to one of the general new hire engineering positions and received an email a couple months later asking if I would be interested in interviewing for an open position. They then flew me out for an interview. I interviewed with 3 different managers, each interview was about 1 hr long. Interview based on the STAR method. Gave a factory tour in between interviews to help break it up so they all weren't back to back. Received an offer about a week to 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Most questions began with, "Tell me about a time when... you had to work with a difficult team member, a problem had 2 solutions and what you did to come to a final solution   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate as salary was higher than I expected

Part-Time Student Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online through John Deere's Career site. I then interviewed with two different people for one hour each. Questions were in the STAR format (situation, task, action, result). Some questions were more difficult than others, but practice up on STAR format questions before the interview so you have an idea of what they may ask.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you showed initiative and took the lead.   Answer Question

Part Time Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA).

Interview

Very good. Was a smooth interview and they made you feel welcome. Ask tough questions but were very relative to the job. Only thing I wish they would have told me more about the job day-to-day and general information when I asked.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA).

Interview

Interview is done by a supervisor and an engineer. Before the interview there is a test out phase at another off site location. After interview you will recieve a letter in the mail stating that you are hired upon completion of pre employment physical which will include a chest xray.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about if a machine failed and a frustrated production worker was on that machine when it failed, how do you deal with the production worker while you working to fix that machine as they tend to get more frustrated the longer the machine is down?   1 Answer

Part-Time Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Got invited for an interview in a few days. Got offered the job in a few days. Interview questions were behavioral. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and two other engineers. They were very nice and genuinely interested in what I had to offer. Tip: When interviewing at John Deere make sure they know that you like farming or share a story about your connection to the land. This might be the one thing that makes you stand out in case the hiring manager is having a hard time making a decision.

Quality Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at John Deere (Davenport, IA) in November 2013.

Interview

Went to career fair, handed in resume. Got called two weeks later telling me I had an interview at headquarters up in Moline IL, had to take time off class to go there. They call you the night before the interview to do a practice interview, which is nice. The actual interview is 3 different behavioral interviews, each about 4-5 questions. They tell you they're looking for STAR answers. They hair test if you work in IL, urine test if in IA.

Interview Questions

• Nothing outside of the ordinary, they expect STAR answers for their behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for intern

Specifications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at John Deere (Cedar Falls, IA) in October 2013.

Interview

I felt very comfortable throughout the process. Gretchen was knowledgeable of the positions and what was going to be required of me in them. Prepped before any interview I had, including phone screenings. I always felt prepared was not just thrown into a job I had no skills for or interest in.

Interview Questions

• When put into a difficult situation and the outcome was not what you wanted, how did you handle it and what would you do differently.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Waterloo, IA) in October 2013.

Interview

Talked to the recruiters at my school's career fair. They look at your resume and immediately decide if they will invite you back for an on-campus interview the next day. You sign up for a time slot and prepare for your interview. The interview is pretty relaxed and totally behavioral (i.e. tell me about a time you worked in a group project and overcame a conflict, tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical decision, etc.). The interviewers (two of them at once) were very nice and helpful. If that interview goes well, you will be flown out to the headquarters in Moline, IL for a final interview. There you have two interviews, each with one person from your field, which are essentially the same type of questions from the first inverview. They will typically respond in a few weeks after your last interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you made a decision in a group that you knew others would not be happy/agree with. Why did you do it and was it the right decision?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate - just accepted the offer.

Service Parts Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ankeny, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Ankeny, IA) in April 2013.

Interview

Simple, and not very thorough. No comprehensive review of work duties and contact with important team members I would be working with. Took long time (several weeks) to get access to important tools used for effective performance.

Interview Questions

• Poor training that impacted performance.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pay established by job description, not experience.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Des Moines, IA) in March 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by email to schedule a ten minute phone interview mostly to confirm details in my submitted resume. This led to a second phone interview with an HR rep, which lasted about an hour and consisted of mostly behavioral questions. In the next two or three days, I was emailed that I had been recommended to a hiring manager. Now I was a late hire in March, so the normal process of flying me out to Des Moines was too time consuming. Instead, I scheduled another phone interview with a potential hiring manager. This last interview was most informative and gave me the sense that they were matching me to a position instead of screening me. After a drug test and some more information (school transcripts and ID for background check) I was hired.