John Deere

Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Student Interview

Part Time Student
Waterloo, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at John Deere in January 2012.

Interview Details – The initial contact was done through an email, which was followed up by an initial phone interview/screen. They just wanted to check my credentials. They followed through with all of the former employees I had listed on my resume, so make sure they are all legitimate. The face-to-face interview took place about a month later. It was in a small room and I was interviewed by 3 employees including my soon to be boss, his boss, and an HR representative. It was fairly intimidating, but they were friendly about it. Dress up as much as possible.

Interview Question – They asked a lot about team work and what I had done personally in the past to show that I can work well in a team. It was a difficult question to answer because they put you in a place where it might be necessary for you to brag a little about your past experiences. Personally, I wasn't very comfortable with this, but it worked out alright.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary is a flat rate based on your school year for part-time students.

Customer Support Interview

Customer Support
Urbandale, IA

I applied through other source - interviewed at John Deere in February 2013.

Interview Details – I would like to know how am i doing on my current position

Interview Question – Some other customer they are very difficult to communicat with,   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Attorney
Des Moines, IA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at John Deere in October 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very well designed to get to the essential facts about how I approach work and challenges. There was also an emphasis on my personality and character. The process started with a screening interview with an HR representative, followed by a phone interview with the prospective manager, and then followed by a round of in-person interviews.

Interview Question – Several questions focused on past experiences dealing with certain types of questions of problems. Come prepared and know your resume.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Waterloo, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at John Deere in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was a great experience to interview with John Deere. All questions were STAR based. The community tour was very helpful. It changed my perspective about the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area. Everyone, during the interview process, was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the position that I interviewed for, did not fit my experience level-so I had to decline the offer. The hiring process was a little slow. The offer was very impressive. Great benefits, generous relocation package as well as signing bonus. Vacation of 3 weeks, which was impressive (most comapnies offer 2 weeks' vacation time for new hires). I think the benefits offered by Deere are probably the best you can get.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to convince a co-worker to follow the system.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The position I was offered was an entry to mid level position, whereas I was looking for a senior level position.

IT Interview

IT
Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Deere in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email to schedule a ten minute phone interview mostly to confirm details in my submitted resume. This led to a second phone interview with an HR rep, which lasted about an hour and consisted of mostly behavioral questions. In the next two or three days, I was emailed that I had been recommended to a hiring manager. Now I was a late hire in March, so the normal process of flying me out to Des Moines was too time consuming. Instead, I scheduled another phone interview with a potential hiring manager. This last interview was most informative and gave me the sense that they were matching me to a position instead of screening me. After a drug test and some more information (school transcripts and ID for background check) I was hired.

Interview Question – "What is your greatest non-academic achievement?"   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Product Engineer
Waterloo, IA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at John Deere in September 2012.

Interview Details – Met with recruiters at a College Fair. I was invited to an information session which was held a week later. 2 days after the information session I received a phone call to schedule the initial interview. The initial interview was held at a John Deere office just off campus. A week after the interview I was told that I had been selected for the second interview which was to be held at John Deere World Headquarters in Moline, IL. They paid for my bus trip as well as the hotel and for food over the trip. The second round of interviews involved meeting two engineers near their headquarters, followed by a tour of their headquarters.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you worked in a group and had a problem with another person that you were working with. How did you deal with the situation and what was the result   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received an offer from another company which offered a better location, salary, and had a better reputation in my field.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Urbandale, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Deere in March 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring manager called me for a 20 minute quick screening. The screening was focused on whether we understood what each of us wanted. I then later had a on-campus panel interview: hiring manager and 2 other technical managers. The panel was focused purely on situational questions, "Tell me a time when...?" Second half of the on-campus interview was a pair programming exercise with a tech lead. The purpose was to see if I can actually code and do so in an agile way.

Interview Question – What would prevent you from accepting this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pretty easy. I countered and we settled for a sign-on bonus.

Assembly Interview

Assembly
Waterloo, IA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at John Deere in February 2011.

Interview Details – online application then go to the company and take a apptitude test on computer if you pass you take a phiscal if you pass then you have an interview.

Interview Question – what would you do if you produced more parts then people on your crew that have been there longer and your supervisor tells the other coworkers why cant you get parts out like he does   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

AREA SALES MANAGER
Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Deere in May 2008.

Interview Details – Interviews are behavioral i.e. "Tell about a time when you...." type questions. Most times there are multiple interviers (the HR manager and hiring manager). The interviews are not easy....you must be prepared. I suggest you even bring a page of notes to remind you of things you've done so you can draw from that. Most people have no problem with you doing that.

Interview Question – I'm not sure....they are all hard,   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can negociate on vacation if you have a lot of experience. There is flexibility on salary too.

Engineering Development Program Interview

Engineering Development Program
Waterloo, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at John Deere in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for this job through my university's job board and upon talking with the company at the career fair received an interview on campus. My interview was 30 minutes long and consisted of behavioral questions (Ex. Describe a time when you led a team) and an overview of my resume. I was accepted for a second round interview at the company which was a 6 hour event consisting of two, one-on-one interviews with engineers (comprised of behavioral questions) and then a tour of the facilities and lunch. I was offered the job a month later and was given one month to provide my decision.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were able to effectively communicate a difficult or unpleasant idea to a superior.   Answer Question