John Hancock

Updated Feb 19, 2015

2.7

Network Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock.

My resume was online and quite a few head hunters called me about this job. I was told based on the job requirement and my resume it fit hand in glove. Due to they were moving they had to put off the interview for 2 weeks. When I showed up they told me they loved my resume. They told me a few of the requirements and I outlined what I did for that. I guess I really impressed them because I was offered the job right there on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about risk assessment?   View Answer
    The headhunters did it for me

Actuarial Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock.

I applied through their online portal and through my university's online process (Hancock hires many students from my school). They got back to me within a week for a quick phone screening, and then scheduled my interview for the following week. I spoke with two sets of two people. The first part of the interview was more of a generic type. They asked me about things on my resume, outside interests, other working experience, pretty standard questions for an entry level position. The second interview was a technical interview. I was asked about specific domain knowledge about Excel, Access, and other oft-used programs for the job. I was also asked to solve a logic problem (calculating the degrees between hands on a clock at a certain time).

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were straightforward, the only one that required some real thinking was the logic problem. As long as you keep your head on your shoulders and know at least a little about Excel, none of them should be particularly hard to answer.   Answer Question
    Since it was a co-op position facilitated by my university, there was no negotiations about salary. It was solely based on prior experience and exams passed.

Mutual Funds Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Hancock in January 2014.

Was asked basic behavioral questions, including how I handled a difficult customer in the past, what I do to relieve stress etc. Only was interviewed once and was offered the job a couple days later. The interview was simple, just make sure you know you'r resume front and back. I had a good time working for JH as the people there were very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation in which a customer were to be irate at a failed service?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock.

Met with H.R. for about 30 minutes, then with another 3-4 people in 30-minute increments. Went to lunch and then came back and finished up with 2-3 more 30-minute interviews. Most questions were just getting to know more about me and my background. They did not ask anything too difficult.

Senior Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at John Hancock in September 2013.

Written assessment test; interview with directors with usual interview questions. Prepare examples of your past achievement and why you want this job. Know your resume very well and be ready to answer any questions from your resume.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deliver bad news to your boss? How do you work with strong personality?   Answer Question

Project Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Hancock.

Hiring process is very streamlined but the actual interviews are not that structured. They don't use personality tests.

Interview Questions
    Big Companies don't negotiate much.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in April 2013.

It was a pretty casual interview process. I met with a vice president and spoke with him about why I wanted the internship. Then I gradually spoke with lower levels of management until I interviewed the guy I would eventually work directly under. Everyone was very friendly to me and I was informed I had the interview directly after all the interviews were over.

I had a month to accept

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in January 2013.

Fairly simple - 3 rounds - Each interviewer asked behavioral questions surrounding previous experiences. They wanted to know what type of person you are (Type A or Type B). The key is to act motivated and excited to be there.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock.

Interview process requires HR phone screening and multiple on-site interviews. The process can take several weeks.

Be sure to stay in touch, particularly if you have concurrent interviews elsewhere or pending offers. For one position, HR was tardy in confirming the HR phone screening they had set up for me; when I called to confirm the interview they told me they had already hired someone (even though I never had the chance to interview). For another position, I went in for an interview and was told I would be brought in for another round. When I contacted them (because I had other offers), I was told they had already hired someone and just never told me. So make sure to be in touch so you don't lose out on another opportunity, since they tend to be bad on their end with communicating to candidates.

Vendor Management Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock.

I had 2 onsite interviews, after a phone screen with a recruiter. I applied online and was contacted about 3 weeks later for a phone screen. After that, I had both of the in-person interviews done within another 2 weeks. Overall a pretty basic interview consisting of questions geared towards how my previous experience was relevant to the position, i.e. "Give an example of how you evaluated a problem and the steps you took to solve it."

Interview Questions
    • "How do you deal with situations when you are leading a project and one or more people do not do their share of the work?"   View Answer