John Hancock Financial Advisor Interview Questions

2.2

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock in March 2014.

The interview process was very laid back. It seemed as though they needed to convince me that I wanted the job more than me convincing them I was a good candidate. The process was pretty informal and while the offices were very nice I didn't get the feeling the place was for me.

Not enough pay. No guaranteed pay.

Other Interview Reviews for John Hancock

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in July 2013.

This was straightforward. They ask you some qualifying questions to determine if you understand the basics of financial guidance and planning.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult or unexpected.   View Answer
    It's really a matter of management telling you this is who we are and we are a 100% commission based firm and asking you if you want to join the firm. Ultimately because most people are uncomfortable of working 100% on commission, it's management asking you if you want to join them, not them telling you that they want you to be a part of the firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in January 2013.

Fairly simple - 3 rounds - Each interviewer asked behavioral questions surrounding previous experiences. They wanted to know what type of person you are (Type A or Type B). The key is to act motivated and excited to be there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at John Hancock in June 2012.

Ridiculous number of interviews and follow ups. Took over three months.

Interview Questions
    Better commission pay-out and bonus,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in July 2010.

After viewing the online hiring offer I called the HR to ask few questions and then we scheduled a interview. there was one 1:1 interview and a personality test online.

Interview Questions

It was not a perfect fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at John Hancock in May 2010.

I received a call a month or so after completing my application. Recruiter went through the basics of my resume and asked me to come in for an interview. The first interview, which was about 45 minutes, was with their marketing and recruitment coordinator. She walked me through the basic details of what the position consisted of. I was then given the opportunity to ask questions and that was pretty much it. The second interview was with the Sales Manager who would serve as a "mentor" for new associates during the training process. This conversation lasted about an hour and a half. He went through the details of the position in much more detail and once again gave me the opportunity to ask questions. He asked me to come back for a third interview where they would offer me the position and allow me to begin studying for my financial licenses. At no point in either conversation was I asked behavioral or situational questions. The only questions I was asked were about my resume and if I was interested in the position. It was at this point that I decided to decline the offer.

Interview Questions

Base salary of 12K for first year with all other income based on commissions. I decided that I did not want to work in a commission based position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2010.

I've never been through a more professional or difficult interview process. 5 interviews. Multiple tests. Credit check. I wanted to frame my acceptance letter after getting this job. They don't hire just anyone.

Interview Questions
    • I was told to bring back at least 5 questions for the managing partner about the position...and that if I couldn't come up with 5...then I probably wasn't cut out for the position   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in February 2010.

After applying through my University's career system, I was asked to take an online personality profile test to see if my personality matched the characteristics necessary for the Financial Advisor position. I received an email that said my personality was a match, and was offered an initial interview. My interviewer did ask several questions about my knowledge of the industry as well as what I believed the position entailed, but for the most part I was 'sold' the company as well as the job. Though I was initially exited about the possibility for tremendous financial gains as well as establishing a loyal customer base, the solely commission based pay structure is not suited well for an upcoming college graduate like myself. I was offered a second (and possibly more intensive) interview, but refused as the job did not seem ideal for starting a post-grad career.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about selling insurance?   View Answer

The commission pay meant that I would need to move to a new city and live for (possibly) several months on savings, with no certainty of how much I could make while being trained and finding clients. This makes it very hard to accept the job with other, salaried positions available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in July 2009.

John Hancock Financial Services Inc., the Boston-based insurance giant, will celebrate its sesquicentennial in 2012, albeit as a subsidiary of Canadian conglomerate Manulife Financial Corporation, which acquired the company in 2004. Hancock offers investment products and management in addition to the insurance portfolio it is best known for, which includes variable, universal and term life. The company also offers retirement savings products that include annuities, mutual funds and long-term care insurance

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock.

Recieved a 20-30 minute phone interview from the recruiter. The recruiter asked basic background information about work history during the phone interview and scheduled a one on one interview.

The first interview was conversation about explainning the position and what the expectations were? The interview was a relax atomsphere, very conversational. After the interview was asked to come back for a second interview that explained the compensation of the position.

The second interview was just about how you received your pay, since it is a full commision job.