John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock
www.johnhancock.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Financial Advisor Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Feb 16, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Anaheim, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in July 2013.

Interview Details – This was straightforward. They ask you some qualifying questions to determine if you understand the basics of financial guidance and planning.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's really a matter of management telling you this is who we are and we are a 100% commission based firm and asking you if you want to join the firm. Ultimately because most people are uncomfortable of working 100% on commission, it's management asking you if you want to join them, not them telling you that they want you to be a part of the firm.

Very Difficult Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in March 2010.

Interview Details – I've never been through a more professional or difficult interview process. 5 interviews. Multiple tests. Credit check. I wanted to frame my acceptance letter after getting this job. They don't hire just anyone.

Interview Question – I was told to bring back at least 5 questions for the managing partner about the position...and that if I couldn't come up with 5...then I probably wasn't cut out for the position   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in June 2012.

Interview Details – Ridiculous number of interviews and follow ups. Took over three months.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Better commission pay-out and bonus,

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in July 2010.

Interview Details – After viewing the online hiring offer I called the HR to ask few questions and then we scheduled a interview. there was one 1:1 interview and a personality test online.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – It was not a perfect fit for me.

Allentown, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in May 2010.

Interview Details – I received a call a month or so after completing my application. Recruiter went through the basics of my resume and asked me to come in for an interview. The first interview, which was about 45 minutes, was with their marketing and recruitment coordinator. She walked me through the basic details of what the position consisted of. I was then given the opportunity to ask questions and that was pretty much it. The second interview was with the Sales Manager who would serve as a "mentor" for new associates during the training process. This conversation lasted about an hour and a half. He went through the details of the position in much more detail and once again gave me the opportunity to ask questions. He asked me to come back for a third interview where they would offer me the position and allow me to begin studying for my financial licenses. At no point in either conversation was I asked behavioral or situational questions. The only questions I was asked were about my resume and if I was interested in the position. It was at this point that I decided to decline the offer.

Interview Question – What is a 12b-1 fee on a mutual fund?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Base salary of 12K for first year with all other income based on commissions. I decided that I did not want to work in a commission based position.

Lenexa, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in February 2010.

Interview Details – After applying through my University's career system, I was asked to take an online personality profile test to see if my personality matched the characteristics necessary for the Financial Advisor position. I received an email that said my personality was a match, and was offered an initial interview. My interviewer did ask several questions about my knowledge of the industry as well as what I believed the position entailed, but for the most part I was 'sold' the company as well as the job. Though I was initially exited about the possibility for tremendous financial gains as well as establishing a loyal customer base, the solely commission based pay structure is not suited well for an upcoming college graduate like myself. I was offered a second (and possibly more intensive) interview, but refused as the job did not seem ideal for starting a post-grad career.

Interview Question – How do you feel about selling insurance?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The commission pay meant that I would need to move to a new city and live for (possibly) several months on savings, with no certainty of how much I could make while being trained and finding clients. This makes it very hard to accept the job with other, salaried positions available.

Boca Raton, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in July 2009.

Interview Details – John Hancock Financial Services Inc., the Boston-based insurance giant, will celebrate its sesquicentennial in 2012, albeit as a subsidiary of Canadian conglomerate Manulife Financial Corporation, which acquired the company in 2004. Hancock offers investment products and management in addition to the insurance portfolio it is best known for, which includes variable, universal and term life. The company also offers retirement savings products that include annuities, mutual funds and long-term care insurance

Financial Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock.

Interview Details – Recieved a 20-30 minute phone interview from the recruiter. The recruiter asked basic background information about work history during the phone interview and scheduled a one on one interview.

The first interview was conversation about explainning the position and what the expectations were? The interview was a relax atomsphere, very conversational. After the interview was asked to come back for a second interview that explained the compensation of the position.

The second interview was just about how you received your pay, since it is a full commision job.

Interview Question – Why did you chose John Hancock?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was called by phone and asked a few questions. Then,they called me for a one on one interview. In the interview they told me that if I passed the 2-15 and the series 6 exam, I would be hired. I did, and they hired me.

Interview Question – What is your biggest archievement?   View Answer

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock in January 2010.

Interview Details – Met with three people. The first guy told me about what the job would consist of, about how I would "tap into my network" to get clients, and that within two weeks of being hired i would be selling financial products to my friends and family. I flatly asked why my friends or family should buy products from someone who only has two weeks experience in the field, he didn't really have a good answer. I

Interview Questions

• no hard questions   View Answer
  • There was one of those behavior computer tests that you might take when applying at a retail store.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock

Worked for John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock? Contribute to the Community!

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Videos

John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are From our humble beginnings in 1862 as a four person company formed in a single room, the name John Hancock, one of our nation's forefathers and the inspiration for our company, has long stood for integrity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock Financial Advisor interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by John Hancock Financial Services| John Hancock employees and interview candidates.