John Hancock

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2014.

Standard

Interview Questions

This is an entry level position selling life insurance. High turnover

Mutual Funds Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Hancock in January 2014.

Was asked basic behavioral questions, including how I handled a difficult customer in the past, what I do to relieve stress etc. Only was interviewed once and was offered the job a couple days later. The interview was simple, just make sure you know you'r resume front and back. I had a good time working for JH as the people there were very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation in which a customer were to be irate at a failed service?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock.

Met with H.R. for about 30 minutes, then with another 3-4 people in 30-minute increments. Went to lunch and then came back and finished up with 2-3 more 30-minute interviews. Most questions were just getting to know more about me and my background. They did not ask anything too difficult.

CPA Development Program Interview

2 Rounds, First Round is on Campus with 2nd Round being at John Hancock Facility, 2 30 minute interviews basically a conversation about resume, experiences both with prior jobs school team projects, the company, and the program. After, you get to ask any questions you have (more the better).

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a team member who did not put the same amount of effort/work as the rest of the group? How would you address this situation?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Came in as a temp so the interview process was pretty basic as the temp agency does the initial screening; met with two managers, discussed my background, and a few scenario questions, but mostly questions like "tell me about a time that...." Was eventually made into a permanent employee without any further interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What's your weakest attribute and what have you done to change that weakness?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Representative Interview

The hiring interview went on for several hours as they were eager to tell me about all the educational opportunities available at the firm. The hiring process was basic to the industry. You are on your own to build your business with assistance from management and weekly training meetings.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock in October 2013.

The interview process itself was pretty easy - 2 rounds of phone interviews with nothing tricky or out of the ordinary.

However, what I was most put off by was HR's protocol after I was given an offer. First HR refused to give me a written offer letter until I confirmed employment, or any of the details of an offer (e.g. start date, salary) in writing. More unprofessionally, upon receiving the oral offer, the HR representative asked me how long I needed to decide. I requested 2 weeks, to which she responded ("Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate that request. We need to know by Friday (2 days away). This is a very competitive offer. Why do you need so long"). By her tone, it sounded as if she was willing to rescind the offer if I gave an unsatisfactory answer. She didn't because I had a concern with the start date, which did give me a few extra weeks to decide. As it turns out, despite being assured JH could accommodate a different start date (2 weeks later than posted) in the phone interview, I was later told by HR this was not possible, and I could at most delay by one week.

To me, 2 days is way too soon (any "competitive" firm will offer at least a week; the median of my 5 offers was closer to 3 weeks), but more ridiculous was that the HR representative tried to trick me when she already had a deadline in mind.

In sum, when applying to John Hancock:

1. Realize you will not get a written offer letter. For most firms this is not a big deal, but based on my experiences at JH, I would be hesitant to believe anything they say that is not in writing...

2. If you are a competitive applicant applying to many places, try to push the stages of the interview off as long as possible, since the firm will not give you long to decide once receiving the offer

3. Be prepared that they may try to trick you (and possibly rescind an offer) by requesting that you select your own deadline

Interview Questions
    • "When can you get back to us with a decision about your offer?"   Answer Question
    • "Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate that request. We need to know by Friday (2 days away). This is a very competitive offer. Why do you need so long?"   Answer Question

HR, procedure, and start date

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock.

Applied through the online portal and was contacted via email for a first round interview at one of the Boston office right next to Copley Square. Interviewed first with the general director of the intern program. It was a standard interview, did not get any curveballs, though the interviewer was kind of hard to read. After about a week and half, I was contacted again via email for a second round interview with my specific manager. She basically asked me more specific questions that were geared towards understanding how I would fit into her department. After that interview, it was narrowed down between two candidates and I was contacted again through email for a final interview at the Boston headquarters.

Interview Questions
    • I did not receive any difficult questions. They were all mostly about myself and my abilities and personal preferences   Answer Question

Senior Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at John Hancock in September 2013.

Written assessment test; interview with directors with usual interview questions. Prepare examples of your past achievement and why you want this job. Know your resume very well and be ready to answer any questions from your resume.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deliver bad news to your boss? How do you work with strong personality?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in July 2013.

This was straightforward. They ask you some qualifying questions to determine if you understand the basics of financial guidance and planning.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult or unexpected.   View Answer
    It's really a matter of management telling you this is who we are and we are a 100% commission based firm and asking you if you want to join the firm. Ultimately because most people are uncomfortable of working 100% on commission, it's management asking you if you want to join them, not them telling you that they want you to be a part of the firm.