John Hancock Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.6

Actuarial Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied through their online portal and through my university's online process (Hancock hires many students from my school). They got back to me within a week for a quick phone screening, and then scheduled my interview for the following week. I spoke with two sets of two people. The first part of the interview was more of a generic type. They asked me about things on my resume, outside interests, other working experience, pretty standard questions for an entry level position. The second interview was a technical interview. I was asked about specific domain knowledge about Excel, Access, and other oft-used programs for the job. I was also asked to solve a logic problem (calculating the degrees between hands on a clock at a certain time).

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were straightforward, the only one that required some real thinking was the logic problem. As long as you keep your head on your shoulders and know at least a little about Excel, none of them should be particularly hard to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since it was a co-op position facilitated by my university, there was no negotiations about salary. It was solely based on prior experience and exams passed.

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

The interview process was pretty lax. It is a multi-step interviewing process. The fellow that was interviewing me did a spectacular job at clarifying expectations and differences that should be anticipated while working for John Hancock versus other financial institutions. Financial planning is not exactly my interest, but, after talking things over, I could definitely consider making a career out of it.

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (Windsor, CT).

Interview

Strong analytical underwriting shop. Phone interview, in person interview. Underwriting evaluation of the underwriting skills via case review of formal and informal case.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock (Addison, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very laid back. It seemed as though they needed to convince me that I wanted the job more than me convincing them I was a good candidate. The process was pretty informal and while the offices were very nice I didn't get the feeling the place was for me.

Not enough pay. No guaranteed pay.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at John Hancock (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in March 2014.

Interview

Standard

Interview Questions

This is an entry level position selling life insurance. High turnover

Mutual Funds Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Hancock (Portsmouth, NH) in January 2014.

Interview

Was asked basic behavioral questions, including how I handled a difficult customer in the past, what I do to relieve stress etc. Only was interviewed once and was offered the job a couple days later. The interview was simple, just make sure you know you'r resume front and back. I had a good time working for JH as the people there were very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which a customer were to be irate at a failed service?   Answer Question

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

Met with H.R. for about 30 minutes, then with another 3-4 people in 30-minute increments. Went to lunch and then came back and finished up with 2-3 more 30-minute interviews. Most questions were just getting to know more about me and my background. They did not ask anything too difficult.

Interview Questions

Interview

2 Rounds, First Round is on Campus with 2nd Round being at John Hancock Facility, 2 30 minute interviews basically a conversation about resume, experiences both with prior jobs school team projects, the company, and the program. After, you get to ask any questions you have (more the better).

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a team member who did not put the same amount of effort/work as the rest of the group? How would you address this situation?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Interview

Came in as a temp so the interview process was pretty basic as the temp agency does the initial screening; met with two managers, discussed my background, and a few scenario questions, but mostly questions like "tell me about a time that...." Was eventually made into a permanent employee without any further interviews.

Interview Questions

• What's your weakest attribute and what have you done to change that weakness?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at John Hancock in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process itself was pretty easy - 2 rounds of phone interviews with nothing tricky or out of the ordinary. However, what I was most put off by was HR's protocol after I was given an offer. First HR refused to give me a written offer letter until I confirmed employment, or any of the details of an offer (e.g. start date, salary) in writing. More unprofessionally, upon receiving the oral offer, the HR representative asked me how long I needed to decide. I requested 2 weeks, to which she responded ("Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate that request. We need to know by Friday (2 days away). This is a very competitive offer. Why do you need so long"). By her tone, it sounded as if she was willing to rescind the offer if I gave an unsatisfactory answer. She didn't because I had a concern with the start date, which did give me a few extra weeks to decide. As it turns out, despite being assured JH could accommodate a different start date (2 weeks later than posted) in the phone interview, I was later told by HR this was not possible, and I could at most delay by one week. To me, 2 days is way too soon (any "competitive" firm will offer at least a week; the median of my 5 offers was closer to 3 weeks), but more ridiculous was that the HR representative tried to trick me when she already had a deadline in mind. In sum, when applying to John Hancock: 1. Realize you will not get a written offer letter. For most firms this is not a big deal, but based on my experiences at JH, I would be hesitant to believe anything they say that is not in writing... 2. If you are a competitive applicant applying to many places, try to push the stages of the interview off as long as possible, since the firm will not give you long to decide once receiving the offer 3. Be prepared that they may try to trick you (and possibly rescind an offer) by requesting that you select your own deadline

Interview Questions

• "When can you get back to us with a decision about your offer?"   Answer Question
    • "Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate that request. We need to know by Friday (2 days away). This is a very competitive offer. Why do you need so long?"   Answer Question

HR, procedure, and start date