John Hancock Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at John Hancock (Anaheim, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

This was straightforward. They ask you some qualifying questions to determine if you understand the basics of financial guidance and planning.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult or unexpected.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It's really a matter of management telling you this is who we are and we are a 100% commission based firm and asking you if you want to join the firm. Ultimately because most people are uncomfortable of working 100% on commission, it's management asking you if you want to join them, not them telling you that they want you to be a part of the firm.

Project Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

Hiring process is very streamlined but the actual interviews are not that structured. They don't use personality tests.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Big Companies don't negotiate much.

Life Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Hancock.

Interview

Initial phone Interview from JH Recruiting - Phone interview with immediate supervisor - Phone interview from peer of immediate supervisor - Video interview with immediate supervisor and peer

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in April 2013.

Interview

It was a pretty casual interview process. I met with a vice president and spoke with him about why I wanted the internship. Then I gradually spoke with lower levels of management until I interviewed the guy I would eventually work directly under. Everyone was very friendly to me and I was informed I had the interview directly after all the interviews were over.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had a month to accept

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in January 2013.

Interview

Fairly simple - 3 rounds - Each interviewer asked behavioral questions surrounding previous experiences. They wanted to know what type of person you are (Type A or Type B). The key is to act motivated and excited to be there.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite movie?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (San Mateo, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Met with Sr. Advisor....Interview was very thorough in that they scrutinized every aspect of your resume (as most companies do).

Interview process pretty standard.

Pay is very low.... until you take the Series which you would take in 6 months to 1 year and then you can get an increase. If you live in an area with a high cost of living, this is a hard job to take, because the pay is entry level comparable to the 90s.

Interview Questions

• If you are new to the field be prepared to discuss your transferable skills as it applies to the world of advsisory   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

Interview process requires HR phone screening and multiple on-site interviews. The process can take several weeks.

Be sure to stay in touch, particularly if you have concurrent interviews elsewhere or pending offers. For one position, HR was tardy in confirming the HR phone screening they had set up for me; when I called to confirm the interview they told me they had already hired someone (even though I never had the chance to interview). For another position, I went in for an interview and was told I would be brought in for another round. When I contacted them (because I had other offers), I was told they had already hired someone and just never told me. So make sure to be in touch so you don't lose out on another opportunity, since they tend to be bad on their end with communicating to candidates.

Vendor Management Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had 2 onsite interviews, after a phone screen with a recruiter. I applied online and was contacted about 3 weeks later for a phone screen. After that, I had both of the in-person interviews done within another 2 weeks. Overall a pretty basic interview consisting of questions geared towards how my previous experience was relevant to the position, i.e. "Give an example of how you evaluated a problem and the steps you took to solve it."

Interview Questions

• "How do you deal with situations when you are leading a project and one or more people do not do their share of the work?"   1 Answer

Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Hancock (Boston, MA) in July 2012.

Interview

This has to be the most unprofessional HR Department that I have ever encountered. I had a telephone screen, then I was brought in for a first round interview with 3 people. Following that I was brought in for a second round interview with 3 senior employees- VPs, Director, etc.. I was told that I would hear something within that week and no one ever responded to say that they went with another candidate. I even sent a follow up email to someone in HR to comfirm that they went with another candidate and never received a response. If this is how they treat their serious candidates, how must they treat their employees??? As unprofessional as it gets!

Interview Questions

• If I were to give you a project that you had no idea about and didn't understand even what direction to take next, what would you do? Where do you see yourself in five years? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at John Hancock (Chicago, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

Ridiculous number of interviews and follow ups. Took over three months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Better commission pay-out and bonus,