John Hancock Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.7

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in November 2011.

Interview process was very different from what I had experienced previously. In the first round, I met with 5 directors in a 1.5 hour interview, where all of them sat and asked me questions altogether. Then for the second round, I met 5 analyst (junior folks!) for a 1.5 hour interview (same format). The interview questions were mostly behavioral (some were technical). Interviewers were very pleasant and patient and gave me a good overview of the company and the job.

Director Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at John Hancock in October 2011.

Phone interview, followed by 3 separate onsite visits including meetings with direct manager, a senior manager, 2 peripheral people[, then with 3 potential coworkers. Went really well until final interview. It was clear that one of the coworkers had a hidden agenda. The questions from that individual were geared toward the negative. After the many hours I spent interviewing, I did not hear back from HR. I finally called them after 2 weeks and was told they hired internally. The reason given was that I did not have specific experience in one area that NEVER CAME UP and was not included in the job description. I felt the HR person was embarrassed when he told me about the decision. I was very disappointed and felt that if the plan was to hire internally, it should have been made clear to me. Given the number of people I spoke with, I really should have received better feedback and a more immediate response to my application.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in July 2011.

Met with two managers and was asked general open ended questions about experience, skills, and reasons for applying for position.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at John Hancock in May 2011.

Phone interview, followed by 5 interviews one day, 2 interviews with senior management second round (both rounds at main office in South Boston). Declined offer due to formal dress code, longer hours (8-5 with expectations to come in early), inconvenient location, no support for occasional work from home, and pay offered was same as my current job, which doesn't have these drawbacks. Interviews went well, and everyone I met with was friendly and professional; however, I felt the company culture and policies as a whole were not very progressive, and decided that I was not interested in working for the company in any position.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your ideas for value-add items we could provide to our clients?   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in May 2011.

I was referred in by an existing external wholesaler, even though they were looking for someone with 3 years experience and all their liscenses (right out of college I had neither). I had a very basic phone interview and was asked to come in for a half day interview. Met with sales managers & current internals. Wasn't my best interview and never got a call back even after I followed up with them.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite fund of ours, why you are excited about it, and role play selling it to us   Answer Question

Actuarial Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

Very Standard, two rounds of interview with two current actuaries, one at AVP level and an actuarial student.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

Used a recruiter to obtain the job interview. Initial interview was over the telephone. It lasted about 90 minutes. A second interview was in person with the human resources department that was annoying because so much of the material was already on my resume. I did not like this part of the process at all. There was than a one on one interview with the woman who would have been my bosses boss. Next a group interview that seemed right out of some training manual. Finally, an interview with the gentleman that would have been my boss.

Interview Questions
    • why do you choose to live in Boston?   View Answer
    • who are more beneficial in your professional growth-- your support staff or your immediate boss?   View Answer

I declined because there was more overnight travel than I was led to expect.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

I applied through my school (we have a co-op program with them). The first interview was pretty much going over my resume, and I was asked why I wanted to work at John Hancock, what I knew about the company already, etc.. I said I wanted to work at John Hancock because it is a well respected and successful company...

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

scrumptious and fun

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

The interview process was fairly informal. I met with HR and 2 VPs. Both were nice. Nothing technical. All behavioral.