John Hancock

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

2.6

Actuarial Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

Very Standard, two rounds of interview with two current actuaries, one at AVP level and an actuarial student.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

Used a recruiter to obtain the job interview. Initial interview was over the telephone. It lasted about 90 minutes. A second interview was in person with the human resources department that was annoying because so much of the material was already on my resume. I did not like this part of the process at all. There was than a one on one interview with the woman who would have been my bosses boss. Next a group interview that seemed right out of some training manual. Finally, an interview with the gentleman that would have been my boss.

Interview Questions
    • why do you choose to live in Boston?   View Answer
    • who are more beneficial in your professional growth-- your support staff or your immediate boss?   View Answer

I declined because there was more overnight travel than I was led to expect.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

I applied through my school (we have a co-op program with them). The first interview was pretty much going over my resume, and I was asked why I wanted to work at John Hancock, what I knew about the company already, etc.. I said I wanted to work at John Hancock because it is a well respected and successful company...

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

scrumptious and fun

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in March 2011.

The interview process was fairly informal. I met with HR and 2 VPs. Both were nice. Nothing technical. All behavioral.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in November 2010.

I had a phone call with a very nice HR rep who helped schedule an interview. The interview felt like a really casual conversation about the job and myself. I felt comfortable and in a very nice environment. After the interview they showed me around the office in Boston and introduced me to the team I would be working with. All of the individuals were very knowledgeable and nice. Although all of the employees were not young, they did seem very modernly dressed and carried.

Interview Questions
    • None, all questions were behavioral and all were very easy. The hardest could have been "How did you deal with a bad group situation?"   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in October 2010.

No surprise questions, very basic interview. 3 45 minute interviews, 1 with someone from HR, 2 with current full time actuaries. Two weeks later I heard back from them.

I would prepare the basic questions (strengths weaknesses etc) brush up on your technical knowledge, and be friendly!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a group project where the group was failing and you had to help turn it around.   Answer Question
    No real negotiation, gave me 1 day to accept or decline offer.

Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Hancock in September 2010.

Was a real pain in the behind. When the HR rep first called and asked if I had time to do a phone interview right then, I explained that I had to go pick up my child at school to which he acted put off, like I'm supposed to drop everything to talk to him. After conducting the phone interview, was asked to come in and speak to three managers, who all asked the same thing over and over, typical questions about career goals and why I applied to the position. Was called in for a second interview which seemed completely pointless. The HR rep went over all the job responsibilities that were already outlined in the online posting and gave me the impression that salary was negotiable. Called in a third time to meet with another supervisor who basically said that the HR rep didn't have any clue about the position and told me that the salary was fixed.

Interview Questions
    • What do you bring to this position? Typical questions.   Answer Question

Pay wasn't that attractive and was put off by the high rate of turnover

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at John Hancock in July 2010.

After viewing the online hiring offer I called the HR to ask few questions and then we scheduled a interview. there was one 1:1 interview and a personality test online.

Interview Questions

It was not a perfect fit for me.

Senior Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at John Hancock in July 2010.

Inquired about the job. Received a call back for an interview. The first interview consisted of an interview with the hiring manager. I was called in for a second interview which included an a follow up with the hiring manager, their director and the VP of the department.

Interview Questions
    • Given the tough deadlines our department faces, how do you handle stress.   View Answer