John Lewis

Updated Feb 28, 2015
Updated Feb 28, 2015

2.8

Customer Service Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis.

Assessment Process both group and individual over a period of two hours as informal as they could possibly be but very professional. Tried to make all attendees as at ease as possible. Gave a great deal of information about the company but felt they dis not delve as deep as they could with the applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of constructive criticism and how you adapted to handle this   View Answer

John Lewis Partnership Finance Interview

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis.

The recruitment process discriminates those applying from abroad.
    Firstly, I had to take those long numerical/logical/situational tests WITHOUT anything from my background being already verified. I was hence rejected as I don't have A-Levels/GCSE, and any corrispondent from abroad wouldn't be valid. I had two degrees from important British universities with full marks, work experiences etc. Didn't matter, all I needed was A-Levels. Never going to apply again.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have A-Levels/GCSE from a British secondary school?   View Answer

Graduate Interview

Filled in the online application, completed the online tests (there is a lot of practice questions for them, so I suggest to do them before you start), then came the online interview, which was perhaps the hardest bit. The questions were flashed on the screen and you had to record your answers. I did not do particularly well, because I did not practice enough.

Graduate Scheme Buyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at John Lewis in January 2015.

Applied online, did numeracy, situational judgement and literacy tests, followed by a detailed application form. They didn't tell us we had to finish the application form within 2 days initially, and only sent us an email a week after telling us we have a few more days to finish it. After that there was a lot of waiting around - about a month and a half. Was asked to do a video interview on 31 december in four days time - which I thought was a bit harsh. Interview was difficult and awkward. I felt the two questions on John Lewis Partnership was similar and could not answer the second one because I was not well prepared enough! Some of the competency questions were also unexpected. Make sure you know what it means to be a Partner.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time that you received feedback or was giving feedback.   Answer Question

Export Assistant - Oxford Street Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Lewis in August 2014.

Passed online of application process. I then got an email to go for interview which was changed four times from group assessment to one on one to group assessment to one on one. Went to interview waited 25 minutes before anyone came to take me to interview, not very good first impression. Had 25 minutes in room with two customers on pieces of paper and what type of product they wanted and then had to choose product for them but none of the products met there every need. Manager acted out as customer and I told them which product I thought was best, was challenged on why certain requirements couldn't meet there needs. Had one to one after asking basic questions. Was told after if i got it I would be starting by the end of the next week which was around 7 days away. They told me they wouldn't keep me hanging and I would find out asap. Well long and behold I waited long over 3 weeks to find out.

Head Office Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis in August 2014.

Online application followed by group assessment and one on one interview.
    Group assessment involved a read case study and discussion around key issues, all the while under observation.

One to one interview standard competency based interview based round JL's key competences.

Nice people, very poor organisation. Waitrose and John Lewis recruitment moved from separate functions to a single service and appears to be creaking under the strain.

Timelines and communication very poor. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Very poor customer journey and customer experience.

Lack of information prompting multiple contacts via email and phone which must further lead to a strain on service. Poor engagement with clients and key information omitted from the recruitment process.

Must stress, people on the day all very nice, relaxed atmosphere. People, process or systems or a combination letting the organisation down. They seem to struggle with basics.

Head Office Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at John Lewis in July 2014.

This was the longest and most in-depth interview process I have ever been through! Phone call screening followed by half day assessment day.
    Four hours worth of assessment; including a group exercise, individual exercise, presentation with Q & A followed by an interview.
    Be prepared to be on your A game, but even then that might not be enough!

I was incredibly disappointed and shocked that after giving them over fours of my time in the assessment day, I was given not a single shred of feedback as to why I was rejected. Given the reputation of the company I find this to be appaulling, after such thorough assessment, there should be some kind of feedback that is constructive. Without feedback you end up taking the rejection quite personally and all you can do is speculate over what you could possibly have done differently.

Interview Questions
    • Very intense and serious assessment centre structure, constantly being watched and judged   Answer Question

Section Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis in July 2014.

I applied online and completed a questionaire. I was later informed of an interview date to be held at their store in Oxford Street, London. I was told to get their at least 15 minutes early and learn all about the partnership, neither of which were necessary as they were running late and I was never asked anything about the partnership.

I was taken upstairs with some other candidates and informed the interview was to be in two parts. The first part consisted of a one to one interview with a manager and the second would be a group task.

The one to one interview was supposed to last half an hour but actually only lasted 20 minutes as he disappeared for 10 minutes to copy my passport. The interview questions were very basic and I was asked about my career to date. I don't think he had looked at my CV or even considered my experience and skills before the interview.

The second part of the interview was with other candidates, about 6 in total, to work out, discuss and come up with an action plan. The task was about an event which was to be held in the store over a weekend and we were managers discussing the best way to action the event. Unfortuately, in group interviews/tasks such as this, there always seems to be one person that is louder than the rest and insists on trying to control the task. He was totally obnoxious and no one could get a word in. We were being scored by our contribution to the discussion but this guy was stealing all the points and not letting me get my point across. The group task was not a fair assessment, so be prepared.

In conclusion, the interviewers seemed very indifferent and didn't seem very interested in me and we're just looking at the candidates as numbers to be processed.

After 2 weeks I was informed by email that my application had been unsuccessful and that my application would not be taken any further. No surprise there really! I had gone into the interview full of hope and had taken days to prepare learning all about the JL Partnership and difficult interview questions, none of which were dealt with at the interview.

Furthernore, I was asked on the rejection email if I would like feedback of the interview, to which I replied, Yes I would like a reply please. I chased this up with a further request for feedback and I have still not received any feedback or a reply from them.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions and the interviewer failed to asked more probing questions from his original questions.   View Answer

Business Development Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at John Lewis.

Pretty standard. Please research about the company and the department that you applying to, they will be impressed with that. Also, read and memorize about the relevant products and brands on the company's website. Interviews are in remote locations, get there early. There are two stages of interviews, the first one is a 1 on one, the 2nd is a presentation that you make.

The most disgusting thing, after all that, traveling far away for the interviews, making a presentation... I got an email from them saying "unfortunately". No explanation or a phone call. I mean, grow a pair!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me 3 bad things about yourself...", I got away with one.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Filled in the online application form with personal profile details and competencies. Was invited to "assessment day" along with around 30 others. Initial presentation all about the partnership, partner benefits, company ethos etc then introduced ourselves one at a time to the room stating name, favourite website and reason. Then put into groups of six, each group was observed by a sales manager for an activity in which we had to select one product from a selection to sell, justifying our choice. Then had a brief one on one interview with same sales manager in next room, largely clarifying availability. Received contract within a week.

Non-negotiable