John Lewis

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.6

Head Office Role Interview

I applied online - interviewed at John Lewis in August 2014.

Online application followed by group assessment and one on one interview.
    Group assessment involved a read case study and discussion around key issues, all the while under observation.

One to one interview standard competency based interview based round JL's key competences.

Nice people, very poor organisation. Waitrose and John Lewis recruitment moved from separate functions to a single service and appears to be creaking under the strain.

Timelines and communication very poor. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Very poor customer journey and customer experience.

Lack of information prompting multiple contacts via email and phone which must further lead to a strain on service. Poor engagement with clients and key information omitted from the recruitment process.

Must stress, people on the day all very nice, relaxed atmosphere. People, process or systems or a combination letting the organisation down. They seem to struggle with basics.

Export Assistant - Oxford Street Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in August 2014.

Passed online of application process. I then got an email to go for interview which was changed four times from group assessment to one on one to group assessment to one on one. Went to interview waited 25 minutes before anyone came to take me to interview, not very good first impression. Had 25 minutes in room with two customers on pieces of paper and what type of product they wanted and then had to choose product for them but none of the products met there every need. Manager acted out as customer and I told them which product I thought was best, was challenged on why certain requirements couldn't meet there needs. Had one to one after asking basic questions. Was told after if i got it I would be starting by the end of the next week which was around 7 days away. They told me they wouldn't keep me hanging and I would find out asap. Well long and behold I waited long over 3 weeks to find out.

Section Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at John Lewis in July 2014.

I applied online and completed a questionaire. I was later informed of an interview date to be held at their store in Oxford Street, London. I was told to get their at least 15 minutes early and learn all about the partnership, neither of which were necessary as they were running late and I was never asked anything about the partnership.

I was taken upstairs with some other candidates and informed the interview was to be in two parts. The first part consisted of a one to one interview with a manager and the second would be a group task.

The one to one interview was supposed to last half an hour but actually only lasted 20 minutes as he disappeared for 10 minutes to copy my passport. The interview questions were very basic and I was asked about my career to date. I don't think he had looked at my CV or even considered my experience and skills before the interview.

The second part of the interview was with other candidates, about 6 in total, to work out, discuss and come up with an action plan. The task was about an event which was to be held in the store over a weekend and we were managers discussing the best way to action the event. Unfortuately, in group interviews/tasks such as this, there always seems to be one person that is louder than the rest and insists on trying to control the task. He was totally obnoxious and no one could get a word in. We were being scored by our contribution to the discussion but this guy was stealing all the points and not letting me get my point across. The group task was not a fair assessment, so be prepared.

In conclusion, the interviewers seemed very indifferent and didn't seem very interested in me and we're just looking at the candidates as numbers to be processed.

After 2 weeks I was informed by email that my application had been unsuccessful and that my application would not be taken any further. No surprise there really! I had gone into the interview full of hope and had taken days to prepare learning all about the JL Partnership and difficult interview questions, none of which were dealt with at the interview.

Furthernore, I was asked on the rejection email if I would like feedback of the interview, to which I replied, Yes I would like a reply please. I chased this up with a further request for feedback and I have still not received any feedback or a reply from them.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions and the interviewer failed to asked more probing questions from his original questions.   View Answer

Head Office Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in July 2014.

This was the longest and most in-depth interview process I have ever been through! Phone call screening followed by half day assessment day.
    Four hours worth of assessment; including a group exercise, individual exercise, presentation with Q & A followed by an interview.
    Be prepared to be on your A game, but even then that might not be enough!

I was incredibly disappointed and shocked that after giving them over fours of my time in the assessment day, I was given not a single shred of feedback as to why I was rejected. Given the reputation of the company I find this to be appaulling, after such thorough assessment, there should be some kind of feedback that is constructive. Without feedback you end up taking the rejection quite personally and all you can do is speculate over what you could possibly have done differently.

Interview Questions
    • Very intense and serious assessment centre structure, constantly being watched and judged   Answer Question

Business Development Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at John Lewis.

Pretty standard. Please research about the company and the department that you applying to, they will be impressed with that. Also, read and memorize about the relevant products and brands on the company's website. Interviews are in remote locations, get there early. There are two stages of interviews, the first one is a 1 on one, the 2nd is a presentation that you make.

The most disgusting thing, after all that, traveling far away for the interviews, making a presentation... I got an email from them saying "unfortunately". No explanation or a phone call. I mean, grow a pair!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me 3 bad things about yourself...", I got away with one.   Answer Question

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in April 2014.

Applied online via JLP careers website on the 3rd of April. Very lengthy online application. then was sent an email asking to complete a values test.
    This was essentially a personality questionnaire. Then a little while later was emailed again saying so far I was successful and to book an assessment day. This was on the 15th of April.
    Assessment day- we were split into tables of smaller groups about 6-8 per table with one section manager. There were about 6 tables so 36-40 of us overall. (There were 2 days of assessments so over 80 people attended.) Make sure you bring ID or they may send you home. Then the recruitment co-ordinate went through a brief PowerPoint explaining all about the partnership, bonus, staff discount, dress code ETC. Then we had a quick icebreaker introducing ourselves and playing bingo. After we went to the shop floor in our teams and were asked to find one main positive and one main negative about the section we were put on. Then go and feedback to our assessor.
    The next task was to sell an item to the assessor. Then we had a brief one to one interview mostly to clarify availability. The whole thing took about 2-2.5 hours.
    We were told we would hear back within 7-10 days I started getting diheartened when nearly 2 weeks passed. But then I got a call offering me a contract. I start on the 10th of May. So the process has taken over a month.
    And just a warning to anyone expecting otherwise, the starting pay for a selling assistant is £6.50. You have the chance to increase that though if your good. Only about 10 people were selected out of the original 300 that applied online.

Interview Questions
    • In one to one interview I was asked if I could have done something differently today what would that be. But no difficult questions really.   Answer Question
    No negotiation but was given time to think over offer as I had been offered something else as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in April 2011.

Group Work
    Team Work
    Customer Service Skills
    Communication skills
    analytical skills
    dedication
    what skills can you bring to the organisation
    leadership skills

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest decision you had to make at the work place?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Filled in the online application form with personal profile details and competencies. Was invited to "assessment day" along with around 30 others. Initial presentation all about the partnership, partner benefits, company ethos etc then introduced ourselves one at a time to the room stating name, favourite website and reason. Then put into groups of six, each group was observed by a sales manager for an activity in which we had to select one product from a selection to sell, justifying our choice. Then had a brief one on one interview with same sales manager in next room, largely clarifying availability. Received contract within a week.

Non-negotiable

Sales Assistant, Christmas Temp Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at John Lewis.

The interview room had approximately 30 candidates, and then we got separated into small groups. In our groups there were two people interviewing as individually they told to say an Interesting fact about ourselves, talk about our background and then pick an item and try to sale it to them. The interviewers were very nice and they made us feel more comfortable.
    What really seemed to matter to them was how good you are working within a team and how you handle pressure.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest i didn't find any difficulty on the contrary   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peterborough, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in September 2013.

You apply for the job via their website and if you pass their values assessment test then you are invited to take part in a group interview: at my interview we were told to speak for 2 minutes about something interesting about ourselves, what we are most proud of, what we could bring to John Lewis and when we have experienced excellent customer service. Another part was for our whole team to replicate a lego house and show how we could work together as a team. Another activity was to choose 5 top values, put them from the best to the worst and explain why they were put there. Finally there was a quick 1 to 1 interview where they ask which department you would like to work in (be flexible)

Interview Questions
    Make sure you understand your hours given and if you can't do what they are able to give then you could always ask if they could change the hours that they give you

Worked for John Lewis? Contribute to the Community!