John Lewis Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2015

2.7

Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Didsbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Lewis (Didsbury, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

After passing the online assessment, I was invited for a group interview at the Didsbury call centre in Manchester. Group was split in two and we were given 2 minutes to prepare a talk about ourselves. We then did a group exercise and written individual exercise, followed by a one on one interview. I felt the interview was rushed and only lasted about 20 minutes, 10 minutes of which were my own questions. I got the feeling that as I was one of the only external candidates, they were just going through the motions. Needless to say I got a rejection email 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• Competency based. Give an example of when you did not agree with your boss, what did you do and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Call Centre Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Didsbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at John Lewis (Didsbury, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and then was invited to do the online assessments then a group assessment. In the group assessment you are put in groups of 4 and after a brief introduction are given 2 mins to prepare to talk about yourself, say something interesting about yourself and why you want to work for John Lewis. After this you are given a script of a customer who hasn't had an item delivered and you have to work with your group and come up with solutions on how you would deal with this customer. Then your all taken taken into another room and are bought back in groups of 4 to do a role play where you need to sell an item to the customer. Then it's a one to one interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a customer complaint   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you have gone out of your way to help a colleague at work   Answer Question

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at John Lewis (Birmingham, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Group Interview. First section talk about yourself. Next section select best product for a customer scenario. Finally as a group discuss the aspect the 'perfect partner' should have. Received an email saying I was 'on hold' and would be contacted when a job is available. Phone call few days later offering job. Took 4 weeks after interview to get a response.

Customer Delivery Installer/Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dartford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at John Lewis (Dartford, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied Online and went through situational awareness questions all OK. Waited 2 months. Heard nothing, then out of the blue a email quote, "Thank you for attending the interview in connection with your application for the position of Customer Delivery Installer/Driver. After reflecting carefully, we're sorry to tell you that we will not be taking your application further on this occasion. Thank you again for your interest in this position and for attending the interview. We wish you every success for the future. Kind regards " The on-line login section for employment even stated I selected a date for a interview ! Very disappointed with this behaviour JL recruitement, I expected a little more as they profess to offer great service.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis in May 2015.

Interview

Selection of the group assessment takes place after success of completing online assessments. The group assessment lasted 2 hours. A group of around 30/40 people are split into smaller groups of 6. An introduction is given about John Lewis, their employee benefits etc. You are required to take part in 3 tasks, where you are assessed by the assessor for the table. Tasks included; choosing items for a scenerio that is given, what makes a 'perfect partner' etc. Finally, at the end of the assessment you put down the hours you are available to do.

Interview Questions

• When has there been a time you gave good customer service?   2 Answers

Project Manager ITL6 Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

One of the most incompetent HR departments I've ever had the misfortune to deal with! Why? The following is my John Lewis recruitment experience; 1) filled out the application online for what is perceived to be a senior role within the company's IT function. Quite extensive, but what to expect for such roles. 2) didn't hear anything back for weeks - out of the blue I receive an email stating that I've been successful and selected for interview. 3) interview day arrives and I meet with a nice guy who explains the roles requirements and context within the business. This is more of an informal chat than anything else (took place in the cafeteria). Cut a long story short, I'm interested in proceeding and so is he. We agree to a 2nd interview and I'm told HR will be in touch. 4) HR do indeed get in touch and we arrange the 2nd interview. I ask for the interview format to help me prepare: I'm told to read up on John Lewis Partnership values and to expect an email with the info I need (pretty standard interview criteria). I'm also told there will be a case study given to me on the day and I'll have 30 minutes to prepare for it. Naturally I probe for more info and I'm told I'll receive an email with everything I need - this is never sent! 5) interview 2 day arrives....... HR send me an interview slot time of 9:45.......... and the hiring managers an interview slot time of 9:30. I arrive at reception to be told that one of the interviewers had come down to reception and was looking for me. I show the receptionist the email HR sent with the alotted time and she tells me 'don't worry, I'll notify your interviewers that you've arrived'. Roughly 5/10 minutes later I'm collected from reception and taken up to the interview room......... 1 minute later the interview is practically over by all accounts! I enter the room, exchange pleasantries, we laugh and roll our eyes that HR mixed up the times, then I'm told the interview format: the two interviewers (who are both really nice) will ask me a series of competency based questions around my skills/experience to determine how I fit within the Partnership's values and then I'll have 30mins to present my project plan based on the case study HR sent me. I pull a confused look and explain that HR didnt send me a case study, they didn't send me anything(!), but instead told me that I'd receive the case study at the interview. Cue a look of concern/worry between the two interviewers. We continue on with the first part of the interview and then they suggest I read over the case study and prepare whatever I can in 15 minutes while they grab a cup of coffee. I agree (what other choice do I have?!). The case study is comfortably manageable for a seasoned PM, but complex in terms of its intricies - it has quite a few considerations around risk/budget/estimation etc. Certainly too much to cover in 15 minutes (when it took almost 10 minutes to read & digest it). I scribble down what I can on the back of my passport photocopy (there was no writing materials provided as this scenario obviously wasn't expected). My 2 interviewers come back into the room, dismiss my 'presentation' efforts as its not fair that I only have 15 minutes to prepare for the case study, while other candidates will have had days (they hope!) to present their plan. I'm told they checked with HR regarding my claim I never received the case study, HR confirmed they never sent it, then I'm told my application for the role will not be taken any further because I dont have the required experience working with their retail platform technology. However would I be interested in a more junior role? I obviously challenge the retail platform reasoning and point out that if this was the case, I probably should have been told this at the first interview and it should be listed as a 'requirement' and not 'desirable' in the job spec. We briefly go over the more junior role, I tell them I like to keep my options open and request further info. The senior interviewer leaves to go a meeting (obviously deciding theres nothing more to be done here and HR did send the wrong times after all), I discuss the junior role and company IT structure with the remaining interviewer and I'm told they hope I put myself forward and they'll be in touch. 6) HR contact me again, I am now being passed to a different person in their department (probably because it's a different role). I tell them the new role is of interest and ask for next steps. -------------- I never hear from anyone in John Lewis HR ever again! 3 weeks later I receive an email stating my application for the new role was unsuccessful. I ask for feedback as to why the sudden change....... NOTHING! Conclusion: Hours of my time wasted, money spent on transport lost and a resolve never to shop with John Lewis ever again.

Interview Questions

• Standard compentancy based questions (Google the most common questions asked and you'll not go too far wrong)   1 Answer

Section Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Lewis (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

The first hour consisted of a group of 4 candidates being assessed by 4 managers to perform a task which we were given 15 minutes to prepare. Our task was to create an action plan for a big sales event taking place in store at the weekend and what opportunities and issues needed to be addressed in order to do this. It's important to say a lot and get really involved, bounce off other peoples ideas and make sure everyone is speaking- show consideration but also try and show leadership. After one hour we were given feedback and the managers left the room. Myself and another candidate were asked to leave the room where we were told we had made it through to the interview and the others would be sent home!! The interview was 2 managers (one asking most questions and one scribing) and were relatively normal, competency based questions and some technical questions regarding what I do would do in certain situations that may arise in the role I applied for.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have had to change your style of communication?   Answer Question
    • List three things that would be most important to you for this role   1 Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

Assessment Process both group and individual over a period of two hours as informal as they could possibly be but very professional. Tried to make all attendees as at ease as possible. Gave a great deal of information about the company but felt they dis not delve as deep as they could with the applicants.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of constructive criticism and how you adapted to handle this   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview

The recruitment process discriminates those applying from abroad. Firstly, I had to take those long numerical/logical/situational tests WITHOUT anything from my background being already verified. I was hence rejected as I don't have A-Levels/GCSE, and any corrispondent from abroad wouldn't be valid. I had two degrees from important British universities with full marks, work experiences etc. Didn't matter, all I needed was A-Levels. Never going to apply again.

Interview Questions

• Do you have A-Levels/GCSE from a British secondary school?   1 Answer

Graduate Interview

Interview

Filled in the online application, completed the online tests (there is a lot of practice questions for them, so I suggest to do them before you start), then came the online interview, which was perhaps the hardest bit. The questions were flashed on the screen and you had to record your answers. I did not do particularly well, because I did not practice enough.