John Lewis

Very Difficult Interview

Head Office Role Interview

Head Office Role
Reading, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in July 2014.

Interview Details – This was the longest and most in-depth interview process I have ever been through! Phone call screening followed by half day assessment day.
Four hours worth of assessment; including a group exercise, individual exercise, presentation with Q & A followed by an interview.
Be prepared to be on your A game, but even then that might not be enough!

Interview Question – Very intense and serious assessment centre structure, constantly being watched and judged   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in April 2011.

Interview Details – Group Work
Team Work
Customer Service Skills
Communication skills
analytical skills
dedication
what skills can you bring to the organisation
leadership skills

Interview Question – What was the hardest decision you had to make at the work place?   Answer Question

John Lewis/Sales Assistant Interview

John Lewis/Sales Assistant
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at John Lewis in November 2013.

Interview Details – An online application form which asks some motivation and suitability questions, followed by situational questions. Assessment centre where you are allocated to a group of 5 to introduce yourself, design a marketing plan and discuss&rank 5 words that people would describe a successful customer service.

Interview Question – discuss&rank 5 words that people would describe a successful customer service.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Firstly we filled in a form indicating our available timeslots and most preferred departments to work in. In the afternoon, a recruitment staff called me whether I would be able to start working 1 hour earlier at 5. Then on the day they made me an offer, they confirmed again the days and times of my availability. I successfully pushed my starting date 1 week earlier, just by explaining that I have an important society event on that week.
But once you confirmed your availability, it is very hard to change the rota.However you can swap with another colleague, but do not do that every time.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Selling Assistant Interview

Selling Assistant
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in October 2013.

Interview Details – Application process took a month!
Applied on the John Lewis website. Set up profile, then completed an online test of 20 questions about how I would react to certain customer related situations.
Then got an email invitation to an Assessment Centre. I needed to book an appointment for that on the website from 2 available dates.
Flagstore Oxford street 9:25am- Assessment Day. Lasted 3 hours but got the offer :-)

There were 4 tables with 8 candidates each (32 candidates all together). Each table had an assessor- managers of different departments like menswear, home department etc.
Brief introduction from the HR partner.
Tasks:
1, introduce yourself: name, basic infos and an interesting fact about you
2, (it was a homework we needed to prepare in advance) 2 min presentation About a gift for someone on a special occasion.
3, 3 types of John Lewis customers description- needed to match them to different situations we got on paper.
4, collect as much info as we could from a certain department in 10 min. We went to the Home department. Then we needed to create a presentation and present it to the other tables.

What they are looking for is how good you are in a team (teamplayers) and how enthusiastic about sales.
Assessment was on Friday, by Monday got an email about the job offer and then I had to complete a brief health questionnaire on the website.
A confirmation email arrived and the contract with dress code and the first 2-weeks schedule both electronically and on post.

Also I got 2 phone calls after the AC from the HR department to make sure everything goes well with my application.

Very professional hiring process!

Interview Question – Task 2- Homework we needed to prepare   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in June 2012.

Interview Details – 1. A group interview- This will begin with an ice breaker, e.g people bingo where you try match the traits of a person to your sheet i.e do they have a cat? Next part will be were they separate you into smaller groups perhaps and then ask you to sell something (try to be imaginative and speak up- dont be too bossy and over confident though) Next with be talking a bit about yourself and why you want to work there and the future etc infront of everyone.

2. 1:1 interview to double check availability and informing you about what kind of work you are able to/ willing to do. Also about previous employers. Quite easy and short

Interview Question – pretty standard questions to be honest, nothing out of the blue   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Service Desk Manager Interview

Service Desk Manager
Bracknell, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied via website. Epic (and overly long) application form. Got interview arranged 2 weeks later. Interview structure was meant to be HR rep and IT rep, although this was changed with only 2 days notice, so that HR rep was replaced with another (untechnical) IT rep and a presentation had to be prepared. Asked for a whiteboard or flip chart - they were unable to accommodate this even with notice. The two interviewers were both very poor, using basic interview questions (e.g. where do you see yourself in X years). Overall, a very poor and bad experience and regardless of outcome had decided to stay clear of the company on the basis of the poor interviewers.

Interview Question – What's the difference between a leader and a manager   Answer Question

Visual Merchantiser Interview

Visual Merchantiser
Reading, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at John Lewis.

Interview Details – Basic website questions. Then talked about your CV. SWOT analysis. Few questions.

Interview Question – They are very quiet.   Answer Question

Management Grad Scheme Interview

Management Grad Scheme
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at John Lewis in March 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application with competency questions. Was then invited to do a telephone interview which I passed then offered to attend an assessment centre. Big gap between assessment centre offer in December and the date set for February/March. Had no chance to interact with assessors, put in groups that were not alternated over the four tasks. Told at the assessment centre of a decision. The only people that got through were current employees of the company.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for John Lewis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at John Lewis interview questions and advice in London, UK. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by John Lewis employees and interview candidates.