John Lewis Interview Questions & Reviews in London UK

8 interviews

2.8

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Head Office Role Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in July 2014.

This was the longest and most in-depth interview process I have ever been through! Phone call screening followed by half day assessment day.
    Four hours worth of assessment; including a group exercise, individual exercise, presentation with Q & A followed by an interview.
    Be prepared to be on your A game, but even then that might not be enough!

I was incredibly disappointed and shocked that after giving them over fours of my time in the assessment day, I was given not a single shred of feedback as to why I was rejected. Given the reputation of the company I find this to be appaulling, after such thorough assessment, there should be some kind of feedback that is constructive. Without feedback you end up taking the rejection quite personally and all you can do is speculate over what you could possibly have done differently.

Interview Questions
    • Very intense and serious assessment centre structure, constantly being watched and judged   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in April 2011.

Group Work
    Team Work
    Customer Service Skills
    Communication skills
    analytical skills
    dedication
    what skills can you bring to the organisation
    leadership skills

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest decision you had to make at the work place?   Answer Question

John Lewis/Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at John Lewis in November 2013.

An online application form which asks some motivation and suitability questions, followed by situational questions. Assessment centre where you are allocated to a group of 5 to introduce yourself, design a marketing plan and discuss&rank 5 words that people would describe a successful customer service.

Interview Questions
    • discuss&rank 5 words that people would describe a successful customer service.   View Answer
    Firstly we filled in a form indicating our available timeslots and most preferred departments to work in. In the afternoon, a recruitment staff called me whether I would be able to start working 1 hour earlier at 5. Then on the day they made me an offer, they confirmed again the days and times of my availability. I successfully pushed my starting date 1 week earlier, just by explaining that I have an important society event on that week.
    But once you confirmed your availability, it is very hard to change the rota.However you can swap with another colleague, but do not do that every time.

Selling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in October 2013.

Application process took a month!
    Applied on the John Lewis website. Set up profile, then completed an online test of 20 questions about how I would react to certain customer related situations.
    Then got an email invitation to an Assessment Centre. I needed to book an appointment for that on the website from 2 available dates.
    Flagstore Oxford street 9:25am- Assessment Day. Lasted 3 hours but got the offer :-)

There were 4 tables with 8 candidates each (32 candidates all together). Each table had an assessor- managers of different departments like menswear, home department etc.
    Brief introduction from the HR partner.
    Tasks:
    1, introduce yourself: name, basic infos and an interesting fact about you
    2, (it was a homework we needed to prepare in advance) 2 min presentation About a gift for someone on a special occasion.
    3, 3 types of John Lewis customers description- needed to match them to different situations we got on paper.
    4, collect as much info as we could from a certain department in 10 min. We went to the Home department. Then we needed to create a presentation and present it to the other tables.

What they are looking for is how good you are in a team (teamplayers) and how enthusiastic about sales.
    Assessment was on Friday, by Monday got an email about the job offer and then I had to complete a brief health questionnaire on the website.
    A confirmation email arrived and the contract with dress code and the first 2-weeks schedule both electronically and on post.

Also I got 2 phone calls after the AC from the HR department to make sure everything goes well with my application.

Very professional hiring process!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in June 2012.

1. A group interview- This will begin with an ice breaker, e.g people bingo where you try match the traits of a person to your sheet i.e do they have a cat? Next part will be were they separate you into smaller groups perhaps and then ask you to sell something (try to be imaginative and speak up- dont be too bossy and over confident though) Next with be talking a bit about yourself and why you want to work there and the future etc infront of everyone.

2. 1:1 interview to double check availability and informing you about what kind of work you are able to/ willing to do. Also about previous employers. Quite easy and short

Interview Questions
    • pretty standard questions to be honest, nothing out of the blue   Answer Question

Service Desk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bracknell, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Bracknell, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at John Lewis in February 2013.

Applied via website. Epic (and overly long) application form. Got interview arranged 2 weeks later. Interview structure was meant to be HR rep and IT rep, although this was changed with only 2 days notice, so that HR rep was replaced with another (untechnical) IT rep and a presentation had to be prepared. Asked for a whiteboard or flip chart - they were unable to accommodate this even with notice. The two interviewers were both very poor, using basic interview questions (e.g. where do you see yourself in X years). Overall, a very poor and bad experience and regardless of outcome had decided to stay clear of the company on the basis of the poor interviewers.

Visual Merchantiser Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I interviewed online - interviewed at John Lewis.

Basic website questions. Then talked about your CV. SWOT analysis. Few questions.

Management Grad Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at John Lewis in March 2011.

Submitted an online application with competency questions. Was then invited to do a telephone interview which I passed then offered to attend an assessment centre. Big gap between assessment centre offer in December and the date set for February/March. Had no chance to interact with assessors, put in groups that were not alternated over the four tasks. Told at the assessment centre of a decision. The only people that got through were current employees of the company.

Worked for John Lewis? Contribute to the Community!