John Q. Hammons Interview Questions

2.7

Banquet Server Interview

Interview

The hiring process is pretty painless. It is easy to get interviews as the turnover rate is very high. The people are nice and dont dig into personal matters. All one has to do is apply at the john q hammons website. Usually interviews will be conducted by one person.

Night Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Q. Hammons in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted an online application. Within a few days, I was contacted about an interview. After two interviews with management, I was told that I would be contacted. The interviews covered job duties, benefits, pros and cons with the position. They wanted to be sure that I was qualified and that I understood that the position is from 11 pm to 7 am. The interviewers emphasized that they want a team atmosphere in the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one memorable customer service experience you have had.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It was a take it or leave it offer.

Manager Interview

Interview

In-person interviews lasted over two hours. My voice hurt so much from talking two hours straight. I think they like to hear themselves talk.

Pay not high enough

Catering Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Q. Hammons (Saint Augustine, FL).

Interview

My interview experience was very unusual. It was a long time ago and the process is completely different now, from what I understand. I interviewed directly with the Director of Catering and after weeks of hearing nothing, she finally called and said they'd like to offer me the position. There was no 2nd interview and I never met with the Director of Sales or the General Manager prior to starting.

Interview Questions

• The interview was very casual and I don't remember being surprised or thrown off by any question.   Answer Question

Director of Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at John Q. Hammons (Portland, OR) in August 2012.

Interview

Expect to interview with several layers- Total Process was 40 Days from start to finish- met with GM, AGM, RDOS, Regional VP of Ops, VP of Sales and member of the ownership group

Interview Questions

• "If i was a dog what kind of dog would I be." Some of the questions were out of the role and more to understand what kind of person you are.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer made by General Manager- Hotel was competitive with other opportunities in the market. Second Round hotel was able to meet requests.

Night Auditor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at John Q. Hammons (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

Minimum three interviews: one with hiring manager, one with GM or AGM, and one with HR Director. They were wanting to get people in quickly so I had all three in one day. This could be more such as both the GM and AGM interview, or an assistant manager interviews first and then recommends to hiring manager.

Just be prepared with your customer service answers and examples. You have to show that you can care for the hotel's guests and be a reliable enough employee to show up everyday and abide by guidelines and policies.

Interview Questions

• What was a stressful situation that I had to handle by myself?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted their offer without negotiating

Director of Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at John Q. Hammons (Portland, OR) in July 2012.

Interview

1. General Manager called me directly for a 15 minute phone screening. GM laid out the role of the Director of Sales and the expectations he had for the role. Instructed to apply directly online for the position as the General Manager only had my resume.
    2. After the online process I was invited into the hotel for an Interview with the GM- Lasted 2 hours
    3. Recieved a call 2 days later that I was being invited to meet with the Regional Director of Sales- Interview lasted 1 hour
    4. Recieved a call same day and was invited to interview with the Regional Director of Revenue Management - Interview lasted 40 minutes
    5. Recieved a call a day later to interview with the Vice President of Operations- Interview was at the hotel and it was a SKYPE interview with this person who was not near by.
    6. GM instructed me I was a final candidate and that the next steps were the Vice President of Sales and the Ownership Group.- Both of those interviews were less than 30 min
    After the interviews I was asked by Human Resources if I could take a Strength Finder /Personality Test
    Once the Strength Finder was completed I was instructed that I had concluded my interview process and I would hear something shortly.
    The entire process took about 45 days and I was made an offer directly from the GM.
    Very Long Interview Process

Interview Questions

• What movie title described me?   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was given an offer and I went back one time to negotiate salary and was happy with the outcome. I did have challenges negotiating PTO/Vacation as I was coming from a company where I had 4 weeks and was going to JQH earning PTO as I went. Also 401K takes 1 full year of service prior to being eligible for participation. Still do not love the PTO but your earn time quickly and rapidly as you tenure with the company.

Set Up Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at John Q. Hammons in January 2012.

Interview

I do not want to say

Night Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at John Q. Hammons (Albuquerque, NM) in October 2011.

Interview

After applying through the corporate website I was called by the FOM for an in person interview. My first opinions were that it was an upscale operation and that they were serious in looking for a replacement. After the first interview I was called in two days later by the AFOM for a second interview. I was told I would hear from them by the end of the week and did not so I had to call a few times to get ahold of someone. The final interview was very brief with the GM who just wanted to see who he was hiring. After that I was handed an acceptance letter and told when my start date would be.

Interview Questions

• In your entire time of working overnights what was the hardest situation you had to handle by yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, just offered a set starting pay.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at John Q. Hammons (Springfield, MO) in September 2011.

Interview

This position was for Residence Inn owned by John Q Hammons Hotels. I applied for the position online on a Friday and the following Friday I was called for an interview. The hotel is very classy. The staff was polite and professional. The lady who interviewed me was young but seemed very competent and fairly serious and we got down to business. The interview took place in the open, in their dining area, rather than in an office. However it was in the afternoon when no one else was around so that was fine. She told me a little about the position and asked me 5-6 detailed questions about my past experience. The position was labeled HR but really sounded more like quality assurance and bookkeeping, which was not a problem but kind of surprising after reading the advertisement on Craigslist that led me to the hotel website. It sounded right in line with my previous job, which in a way was not such a good thing because I hated my previous position. Anyway, she told me that I sounded like a great fit for the job but would I have any concerns about a drug test or credit check. I said no, and then she asked me several very direct, specific financial questions and said that she would talk to her supervisor but in this financial related position they are pretty "picky". I found this odd as it only paid $12 per hour; how could they expect people to have perfect credit (and mine's very very close)? I never heard from her again. I have no idea if they even ran my credit. However, about 2 weeks later I received an automated email letting me know the position was filled, and that was nice. I always like the confirmation.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any surprises in your credit check? THEN: Like, do you have high balances on any cards or any revolving credit at all?   1 Answer