John Thomas Financial

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in April 2012.

Interview Details – They'll call, set up a meeting. If you pass, there will be a round two. Then if you're hired you'll start a 2 week training process in the trade floor. It's basically the job, without the commission at that point. If you stick with it, you'll take a class to prepare you for licensing.

Interview Question – Are you willing to wait and take the licensing course, before you begin to work?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel it was for me at the time. It seems like a great opportunity though, and the people were really nice.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in February 2012.

Interview Details – Called me just hours after submitting my resume. I was invited to an interview the next morning. Turned out to be a 15 minute sales pitch. The guy acted like he didn't want to hire me than a day later I get a call for another interview. He offered me a job on the spot in the second interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a stockbroker?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 300 dollars a week on the floor.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in February 2012.

Interview Details – It was so loud. They have flatscreens all over the place blasting CNBC. It was hard to hear what the guy was saying to me. Also, he didn't seem ready to interview me, like he was too busy or something. He didn't ask anything important. He didn't seem interested.

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in May 2011.

Interview Details – All you have to do to get an interview is send your resume. They hire anyone.

Interview Question – If I give you the offer today. Can you start working tomorrow?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Although I don't mind the boiler room-ish atmosphere, I really dislike the attitude of brokers. They are rude to everyone, even their clients.

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in March 2011.

Interview Details – Strikingly similar to the film Boiler Room. While they do scrupulously follow the letter of the law it seems to be a very high pressure environment with a focus on aggressive sales practices instead of any type of financial or technical analysis and actually recommending securities based on their underlying fundamentals. While everyone I met with seemed quite nice the general environment seemed a bit lacking in refinement.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable working 50-60 hour weeks and being in every day at 6:30 while not yet being paid/or being paid $300 a week   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It just didn't seem to be my type of place.

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in January 2011.

Interview Details – If you need $600 and have two weeks of free time to waste, go interview at John Thomas, they'll hire anybody. The interview consists of filling out a few papers and then a 20 min pitch from the 'recruiting director' who is actually whoever is in the 'recruiting director' office. If you can keep your head from hitting the desk for 20 mins you can get a job at this boiler room. The job as a trainee consists of yelling at people on the phone at the top of your lungs about having a broker call them back, once you get certified, you yell at people at the top of your lungs on the phone about having a broker call them back. First 10 accounts you open go the senior guys, and I never saw / heard anyone really open an account over a period of a few weeks.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in November 2010.

Interview Details – This isn't really an interview as much as it is a 10 minute sales pitch by their head recruiter. He tells you what to expect in their training program, which is basically studying in class for 6 weeks (no pay) then chasing leads for a senior broker, once you get 10 leads for a senior broker then you can start building your client base. Basically its 6 months to a year of little money making followed by promised big pay days.
If you want this job, don't ask questions just take the sales pitch nod your head and say you would love to work their. I asked about the company and its background as it is relatively young. With my second question, he cut me off and said he had other interviews scheduled and he had to go.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in December 2010.

Interview Details – Very casual interview, spoke with New Horizons manging director (the primary staffing agency for JTF). Most of the interview consists of details of the position and history of JTF. Wasn't really asked any questions except a brief run through of my resume. After the interview, I was taken on a tour of the floor. Most of the stock brokers are very young and seemed to come from a diverse background. High energy and very nice looking trading floor. The pay is $300 a week for two weeks of cold calling then they sponsor you for the series 7, 63. After you pass, you go back on the cold calling until you open 10 accounts, after which you can start earning commissions.

Interview Question – Nothing special except a run through of my resume   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After more thorough research I found numerous customer complains on the firm and the work place resembles too much of a boiler room for a long term career.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in September 2010.

Interview Details – First day of the interview, had a group interview. He told me to give a information about myself. everything was great, took a tour. and told me to come back for 1:1 interview the next day. Went in. he remembers my name,but he does not remember anything what i said day before. He just wanted to end the interview. As soon as I went in, He was basically saying I won't be suited for this job. We need a hard worker. COMPLETELY WASTED MY TIME. I even explained myself that I am a hardworker. I can handle long hours. etc. He just did not want me.

This is what he's going to do everytime:
Ask you few questions, explain about the program, tour around the floor.

It seems like he just pick the candiate as he feels.

This Business Development Manager makes John Thomas Financial inferior.

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at John Thomas Financial in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was easy. Just tell them what they want to hear. Can you handle the hours... YES. Why do you want this position... Success! blah blah blah.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere.

Interviews for Top Jobs at John Thomas Financial

Worked for John Thomas Financial? Contribute to the Community!