Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
www.jhuapl.edu Laurel, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions & Reviews in Columbia, MD

Getting the Interview

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Columbia, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to APL through the Johns Hopkins advance scholars program. About two months after I applied I was contacted by a department supervisor. He "interviewed" me. It was more of him describing the project that he was working on that I might be able to help out with. He told me that he wanted to hire an intern if he was able to get enough funding. The next week I got an offer.

Interview Question – I was surprised that my interviewer / eventual boss did not want to know more abou tme.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - salary based on amount of experience/ year in school.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Associate Professional Staff Interview

Associate Professional Staff
Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in November 2008.

Interview Details – Had to give a technical presentation, which resulted in a lot of hard technical questions from the audience. Multiple interviews by technical staff and managers in multiple groups. Lots of the time was spent by the interviewers "selling" their group or project. In retrospect, having worked here, it became clear that those "selling" the hardest were the least desirable groups to work in, and they have trouble getting the best people. There was one interview by an HR person, who really didn't do a good job describing the work environment, and frankly asked a lot of intrusive personal questions.

Interview Question – Very difficult question on the assumptions which allow the use of kalman filtering on a data stream coming from a missile.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was possible. Pretty much "take it or leave it."

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory interview questions and advice in Columbia, MD. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory employees and interview candidates.