Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.8

Business Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

Called by HR to set up a panel interview. Three one-hour interviews with 2 people at a time. Took about 3-4 weeks before I was called for a follow up interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

The whole process took a while from first contact to interview. I met with a series of people 1:1 from a department. I did not get the sense anyone fully knew why they were interviewing me. I had people pitching different things to me and walked away not really sure what the department fully did or what skillset they wanted to augment their team. Also went in believing I made more than they pay. I told HR that I was not looking to leave for salary so it was all negotiable. I am not sure if that is part of why it was a pass but maybe they all figured out they were not sure what they wanted as well or maybe they were not ready to really add to their team. HR is not very responsive even during the process of date selection for the interview.

Interview Questions

• They just talked through what I have done and why. Experiences with Agile, etc. Or my experience with a certain technology stack.   Answer Question

Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

Received an email for an interview two and a half months after I applied. It took two weeks to schedule the interview. I was given a map of the compound layout, and there were lots of signs, so navigation of the area was easy. I met with multiple interviewers and the experience was really positive.

Interview Questions

• Know everything on your resume. If you mention anything technical, like other reviews have said, be prepared to explain and defend your statement.   Answer Question

RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Baltimore, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

Presentation of technical topic of my choice, followed by Q&A. Individually interviewed with 4 technical professionals (1 lead manager and 3 team members) where discussions revolved around group's activities and my capabilities, and 1 human resource professional where discussions focused on the company culture and benefits, and my background (to aid in the determination of experience and offer rate), as well as, the discussions on the remaining processes (background check, verification of references.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my most challenging task in my current position.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Tucson, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Told me about their group and the work that they do. Asked me technical questions about my work. I asked him technical questions about the work that they do.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job? Are you ok with moving to Maryland? Tell me about PSFs. Tell me about the radar blending work.   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you? Why are you leaving Raytheon   1 Answer

Missile Defense Engineer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

Shorter than I had initially expected. One hour with two senior folks, one hour with the group lead, and then lunch. Questions were predominantly about my resume and background as well as discussion about what the group does and its organization. The only gripe I'd have is the length of finding out whether or not I was getting the job (it took 6 weeks).

Interview Questions

• What sort of systems engineering plots are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

I applied online, but then had my resume passed on through a mutual connection. A couple weeks later I got an email from HR saying I was invited to do an on-site interview with two groups. When I got to the lab for the interview, I first met with a women in HR to go over general information and benefits. Then I took a shuttle to another office building to meet with the first group. I met with various members of the group, from younger employees to the group supervisor. Most of the interviews were a mix of informational and behavioral. They asked me to talk about things on my resume, and why I was interested in working at the lab. They also spent a lot of time telling me about what their group does, and possible projects they might want me working on. I also ate lunch with a member of this group in a small cafeteria located in the building. The second group was back on the main campus. I met with the group supervisor, and then two other members of the group. Most of these interviews consisted of the members explaining what their group does, since they work in a field that I wasn't familiar with. I interviewed on a Friday, and the next Monday I got a call from HR to discuss how the interview went, and she asked me how I felt about the two groups I interviewed with. Two weeks later I got a call saying the group I preferred had given me an offer. The whole process was very enjoyable. Everyone I met was nice and helpful, and there were no hard technical questions. I got a sense that APL is a great place to work. I also think that if you get offered an on-site interview, it means they are impressed with your background and are pretty seriously considering hiring you. So don't stress about the interview!

Interview Questions

I also received an offer from a similar company, and decided I preferred the location and opportunities at that company

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

The interview process was very chill. I interviewed with 3 different groups. Most of the questions were behavioral and just talking about my previous projects. A few technical questions that were pretty straightforward. Most of the time, the interviewers talking about their specific group what what they did at APL. Each interview with each group was about 2 hours and you meet with about 4-5 different sets of people for each group. They provided lunch, which was also part of the interview process.

Associate Professional Staff II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview

The hiring and interview process took nearly 10 months and required a background investigation and presentation in front of a panel of hiring manager. Overall the it was a pleasant experience and no malicious questions.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was relatively casual. I spoke to a hiring manager on the phone and talked about my experiences and about my programming experience. It was a pleasant conversation and I was certainly surprised that I was not asked to actually prove my coding mettle. I believe that the interview was more about determining whether or not you are a culture fit as opposed to whether ot not you are the best programmer in the world.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I could not negotiate much.