Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Updated Jul 7, 2014
44 interviews

2.8

Senior Professional Staff I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in June 2014.

Gave a presentation at the beginning of the day to 6 or 7 senior employees. Afterwards, met with each in one-on-one sessions. There were no surprise questions, just questions about history on my resume or from my presentation. They did ask why on my application I had requested that they not contact one of my former employers. The environment here seems very healthy, and there seems to be a lot of room for career growth both laterally or up the ladder.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Know your resume and your application.   Answer Question
    Salary was non-negotiable, but I did negotiate a decent signing bonus. They also help with moving expenses and provide temporary housing.

Research and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in May 2013.

Email to set up a phone interview. Had a phone interview with the project manager and other two lead engineers. I described some of my past projects and how I designed them. Also discussed what I like doing. They shared what they do and a couple projects I might be interested in. I told them I liked the projects and then they sent me an offer.

Interns are set a fixed rate.

Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in November 2010.

Interviews can be a few hours speaking with multiple staff members. They usually offer a free lunch.
    Questions related to past job experiences and how you can apply them to future tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Do your homework on the organization and come prepared!   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate since I was straight out of college.

Postdoctoral Associate - Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Laurel, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in October 2012.

I responded to a recruitment email sent to me through my university while I was in grad school, and within 1 week had a phone interview. None of the interview questions had anything to do with the job, they wanted to get a feel for whether or not I could pass a security clearance. It went well, and about a month later they flew me out for the on-site. It was an all day interview with several potential co-workers and some higher ups. It was pretty disorganized and kind of a waste of time - they gave vague info about some cool sounding projects in other departments, but nobody could give me a description my job besides "arts & crafts." I thanked each interviewer again by email when I got home, and during the following month or so contacted HR 3 times to find out whether or not they wanted to move forward. Each time they didn't know the answer. Never heard from them again. Accepted a better offer somewhere else soon after.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you went to the parking lot and found you had a flat tire?   Answer Question

Materials Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Laurel, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in June 2013.

I received information about the position through my school's listing. I reached out to the hiring manager and was told to apply online. After applying online, I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. A couple weeks after the phone interview, I was invited to an on-site interview in Laurel, MD. My on-site interview was half day. I talked to 6 people and had lunch at their cafeteria.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty general questions, both behavioral and technical. Nothing too unexpected.   Answer Question

Research Engineering Interview

Interview process went incredibly smoothly. The travel office was able to seamlessly arrange my flights, hotel booking and rental car. People were very nice and took time out of their busy schedules to meet with me and discuss my prior work. On the tour, I was able to see many of the cool projects they are working on.

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in February 2014.

The interview was scheduled by an email. They asked me to keep a couple of dates open, and would confirm a time/date in a later email. I received a confirmation about a week later, with instructions and a map to the location. When I arrived for the interview, I was escorted to conference room. It was a panel interview with 12 people. Each person asked one question. The interivew lasted about one hour, 15 minutes.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in August 2013.

just asked about previous work experience

Interview Questions
    • not really just asked me if i could do the project as it was tough   Answer Question
    na

Senior Professional Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

3 separate interviews about an hour each on the same day

Interview Questions
    I asked for a salary and they offered me a higher number (I know - pretty sweet :))

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

I was contacted for a phone interview. It was very straightforward. I was asked about my experience and my interests.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were very difficult. Just asking for general information.   Answer Question

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!