Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

2.9

Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

I applied online, but then had my resume passed on through a mutual connection. A couple weeks later I got an email from HR saying I was invited to do an on-site interview with two groups. When I got to the lab for the interview, I first met with a women in HR to go over general information and benefits. Then I took a shuttle to another office building to meet with the first group. I met with various members of the group, from younger employees to the group supervisor. Most of the interviews were a mix of informational and behavioral. They asked me to talk about things on my resume, and why I was interested in working at the lab. They also spent a lot of time telling me about what their group does, and possible projects they might want me working on. I also ate lunch with a member of this group in a small cafeteria located in the building.

The second group was back on the main campus. I met with the group supervisor, and then two other members of the group. Most of these interviews consisted of the members explaining what their group does, since they work in a field that I wasn't familiar with.

I interviewed on a Friday, and the next Monday I got a call from HR to discuss how the interview went, and she asked me how I felt about the two groups I interviewed with. Two weeks later I got a call saying the group I preferred had given me an offer.

The whole process was very enjoyable. Everyone I met was nice and helpful, and there were no hard technical questions. I got a sense that APL is a great place to work. I also think that if you get offered an on-site interview, it means they are impressed with your background and are pretty seriously considering hiring you. So don't stress about the interview!

Interview Questions

I also received an offer from a similar company, and decided I preferred the location and opportunities at that company

Engineering Technician Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

The interview process was very chill. I interviewed with 3 different groups. Most of the questions were behavioral and just talking about my previous projects. A few technical questions that were pretty straightforward. Most of the time, the interviewers talking about their specific group what what they did at APL. Each interview with each group was about 2 hours and you meet with about 4-5 different sets of people for each group. They provided lunch, which was also part of the interview process.

Associate Professional Staff II Interview

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

The hiring and interview process took nearly 10 months and required a background investigation and presentation in front of a panel of hiring manager. Overall the it was a pleasant experience and no malicious questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

There was no phone interview. They flew me to Baltimore and paid for my flight, hotel, and rental car. I interviewed with 5 different groups throughout the day, with a mixture of behavioral and technical questions from each groups. I received a tour of the facility while I was there.

Interview Questions
    • What is the time complexity of a recursive Fibonacci function vs a non-recursive one.?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

The interview process took about 2 months from my first interview to the day I received an offer. It consisted two phone interviews that asked behavioral questions mainly and had me go over my resume in more detail. No technical questions.

Group Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

It can be difficult to get an interview if you don't know someone. Because employees are generally hired for careers, not specific projects, the hiring process can be glacial and a bit haphazard -- sometimes listed positions are filled very slowly, sometimes never.

HR tries to get the offer right (e.g., salary history, expectations), because the lab doesn't haggle.

Intern Interview

Applied online. Heard back a couple months later through email to schedule a phone interview. Interview was less than half an hour. Just talked about a couple things on my resume, what I know or don't (yes or no questions), and explained the project to see if it's something I'd be interested in.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly difficult questions. Everything was pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Technology Licensing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

The interview process took six months. Phone, then in-person, then presentation, then the head of the business unit. It wasn't difficult, but it was unbelievably long. Have another offer in hand if you want to negotiate. Strongly recommend NOT working in this group.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted a presentation on an experience related to licensing.   Answer Question
    Easy. I had another offer in hand and negotiated up from their initial offer.

Associate Professional Staff I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in September 2014.

I was referred from a professor that had colleagues at APL. Because I already had several outstanding offers on the table, HR moved swiftly to schedule a timely interview with a couple interested teams. Overall, the interview process was stressful. Spoke to 8 different engineers/scientists and it took an entire day to complete.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot really pin point the most difficult or unexpected question but they all know their information so if you mention something do not be surprised to explain in detail and a sound, technical level. Throughout the entire interview process they evaluate how well you can articulate and explain what you are talking about. I was questioned in detail about several classes on my resume and about certain grades I received in a few classes   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. The offer was most competitive compared to my other 3 offers at that time.

Senior Professional Staff I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in June 2014.

Gave a presentation at the beginning of the day to 6 or 7 senior employees. Afterwards, met with each in one-on-one sessions. There were no surprise questions, just questions about history on my resume or from my presentation. They did ask why on my application I had requested that they not contact one of my former employers. The environment here seems very healthy, and there seems to be a lot of room for career growth both laterally or up the ladder.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Know your resume and your application.   Answer Question
    Salary was non-negotiable, but I did negotiate a decent signing bonus. They also help with moving expenses and provide temporary housing.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory