Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

There was no phone interview. They flew me to Baltimore and paid for my flight, hotel, and rental car. I interviewed with 5 different groups throughout the day, with a mixture of behavioral and technical questions from each groups. I received a tour of the facility while I was there.

Interview Questions
    • What is the time complexity of a recursive Fibonacci function vs a non-recursive one.?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

The interview process took about 2 months from my first interview to the day I received an offer. It consisted two phone interviews that asked behavioral questions mainly and had me go over my resume in more detail. No technical questions.

Group Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

It can be difficult to get an interview if you don't know someone. Because employees are generally hired for careers, not specific projects, the hiring process can be glacial and a bit haphazard -- sometimes listed positions are filled very slowly, sometimes never.

HR tries to get the offer right (e.g., salary history, expectations), because the lab doesn't haggle.

Intern Interview

Applied online. Heard back a couple months later through email to schedule a phone interview. Interview was less than half an hour. Just talked about a couple things on my resume, what I know or don't (yes or no questions), and explained the project to see if it's something I'd be interested in.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly difficult questions. Everything was pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Technology Licensing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

The interview process took six months. Phone, then in-person, then presentation, then the head of the business unit. It wasn't difficult, but it was unbelievably long. Have another offer in hand if you want to negotiate. Strongly recommend NOT working in this group.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted a presentation on an experience related to licensing.   Answer Question
    Easy. I had another offer in hand and negotiated up from their initial offer.

Associate Professional Staff I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in September 2014.

I was referred from a professor that had colleagues at APL. Because I already had several outstanding offers on the table, HR moved swiftly to schedule a timely interview with a couple interested teams. Overall, the interview process was stressful. Spoke to 8 different engineers/scientists and it took an entire day to complete.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot really pin point the most difficult or unexpected question but they all know their information so if you mention something do not be surprised to explain in detail and a sound, technical level. Throughout the entire interview process they evaluate how well you can articulate and explain what you are talking about. I was questioned in detail about several classes on my resume and about certain grades I received in a few classes   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. The offer was most competitive compared to my other 3 offers at that time.

Senior Professional Staff I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in June 2014.

Gave a presentation at the beginning of the day to 6 or 7 senior employees. Afterwards, met with each in one-on-one sessions. There were no surprise questions, just questions about history on my resume or from my presentation. They did ask why on my application I had requested that they not contact one of my former employers. The environment here seems very healthy, and there seems to be a lot of room for career growth both laterally or up the ladder.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Know your resume and your application.   Answer Question
    Salary was non-negotiable, but I did negotiate a decent signing bonus. They also help with moving expenses and provide temporary housing.

Research Engineering Interview

Interview process went incredibly smoothly. The travel office was able to seamlessly arrange my flights, hotel booking and rental car. People were very nice and took time out of their busy schedules to meet with me and discuss my prior work. On the tour, I was able to see many of the cool projects they are working on.

Senior Professional Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

3 separate interviews about an hour each on the same day

Interview Questions
    I asked for a salary and they offered me a higher number (I know - pretty sweet :))

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in February 2014.

The interview was scheduled by an email. They asked me to keep a couple of dates open, and would confirm a time/date in a later email. I received a confirmation about a week later, with instructions and a map to the location. When I arrived for the interview, I was escorted to conference room. It was a panel interview with 12 people. Each person asked one question. The interivew lasted about one hour, 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory