Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
www.jhuapl.edu Laurel, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Feb 8, 2014

Getting the Interview

36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Professional Staff Interview

Laurel, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview Details – 3 separate interviews about an hour each on the same day

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a salary and they offered me a higher number (I know - pretty sweet :))

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview Details – I was contacted for a phone interview. It was very straightforward. I was asked about my experience and my interests.

Interview Question – No questions were very difficult. Just asking for general information.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview Details – Took a very long time between "steps" (paperwork, interview, on-site interview, offer)

Interview Question – Do you play video games   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation... I raised the initial offer about $1500

Biomechanical Engineer Interview

Laurel, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in May 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with multiple team members followed by an on-site interview with management and team members and presentation of past work.

Interview Question – Why did you not get a 4.0 in your classes?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because it was my first job out of college and a great opportunity.

Associate Professional Staff I Interview

Associate Professional Staff I

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview Details – They didn't tell me which groups I would interview with until I arrived, but I was contacted by email by two of my interviewers ahead of time so I had some idea what to expect. It seemed like the work culture was very different among divisions, but what they all had in common was the expectation that you would stay with the company long term, i.e. more than 10 years. The way this attitude was presented by both HR and my interviewers felt a lot like talking about marriage on the second date, but I suppose they were just trying to emphasize job security. The interview questions were either technical or trying to make sure I was genuinely interested by asking about my motivations and long-term goals. In one particular interview, the interviewer went down my college transcript and pointed out a course I had taken three years ago, and quizzed me on the material. Overall, stressful but very satisfying experience.

Interview Questions

• Derive the binomial probability distribution from first principles.   Answer Question
  • What is the equation for the far-field approximation in an antenna?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Associate Professional Staff II Interview

Laurel, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in September 2009.

Interview Details – Job responsibilities were being consolidated between two departments. The job was ending in one department and i was interviewed for the posted position bearing similar functions in the second department. One-on-one interview was held with the section supervisor and subsequently with the group supervisor.

Interview Question – Can you assist bringing co-workers up to speed while performing your own work functions?   Answer Question

Associate Professional Staff II Interview

Associate Professional Staff II

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in April 2013.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by HR to go over my resume and do a general screen of my background. Was asked to provide a few jobs on their site which interested me. Interviewed for a couple of positions and spent an entire day there. Everyone was very nice and the questions were pretty basic and not at all challenging.

Interview Question – What does ANT stand for? Took me a second to remember but I did. A Neat Tool.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate.

Entry Level Technical Professional Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in October 2012.

Interview Details – I met one of their software engineers at a career fair and handed them my resume. A week later I was invited to do an onsite interview. I was interviewed in 30 minute sessions with two engineers at a time and then ended with an HR representative. The first few interviews were highly technical and thorough. The interview with the HR representative was very casual.

Interview Question – They had me work out some problems on a board regarding programming.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview Details – After email contact with recruiter I met with several teams over the course of the day. A lot of time was spent with supervisors going over each department and the organization as a whole. Very few tough questions were asked- just standard interview questions.

Interview Question – Describe technical problem in simple terms to a client   Answer Question

Legal Department Interview

Laurel, MD

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a team of legal professionals (not all lawyers) and was very impressed by their questions for me. Given the high technology nature of their business, I was made to feel very comfortable by the team.

Interview Question – Be prepared to explain any gaps in your employment history.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Worked for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory employees and interview candidates.